News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: One man and his Warhound.  (Read 4271 times)

Offline lijah_cuu

• Best Painted Hellhound; Lieutenant
One man and his Warhound.
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »
After a nice little overtime payment from work I decided to treat myself to a Chaos Warhound!
I've always loved the model, especially the Chaos one over the Imperial version and as part of another project (Tale of Four Gamers) which is also on the project log I've been doing a FW Death Guard army over the last 6 months so i've decided to paint the Titan up in the same sort of colours and dedicate him to Grandfather Nurgle.
The project was initially going to be documented step by step but I seem to have moved on a little faster than I thought I would so this first post may be a little long and then it should settle down to a couple of posts a week maybe...

So after leaving the box on the side for 2 weeks whilst I finished off my DG army I finally got round to giving all the bits a good scrub in the sink:

Then after attacking it with a dremel and a saw I thought I'd see how easy the feet were to put together - four hours later i'd managed to get two of these done:

I was actually pretty worried about the feet, most probably more than any other part of the entire build and after a few dry fits it all seemed to go together pretty smoothly. The rest of the body I was able to do the next day, but didn't seem to take any photo's of it!!

So my work up to now has culminated in this:

I initially used an airbrush to paint the legs with boltgun metal and then covered that with a couple of washes of gryphon sephia and wash of the sephia with a little thraka green mixed in to give a 'Nurglely' look - not sure if im completely happy with it, I think I might give it a little devlan mud was as well.

The body plates and weapons have just been given a simple layer of camo green to start with and I now have to decide whether to stick with the green and wash and highlight it, or build up a couple more layers of colour so it looks more like this:

The metal trim is either going to be just boltgun metal with washes and highlights or Dwarf bronze -
again I might have to see how it goes once I start on it!
Thats it for now - I should hopefully have decided what to do with the colour scheme by the weekend and hopefully have completed a little test piece to show you.

Please, If you have any recommendations or comments feel free to stick them on!

Offline StraightSilver

Re: One man and his Warhound.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:12:10 AM »
Well you can't have been that ill mate!  ;D

I just can't believe how fast you have managed to get this from box to basecoat! Mine is still in it's box after five years!

I must admit that it is the feet that have put me off, but I will take inspiration from you and get mine started.

Can't really criticise anything at the moment, it's looking lovely so far.

How dis the Gryphonne Sepia work on metallics? I always use Devlan Mud. Might pop round this weekend and have a look!
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:33:29 AM »
Hello mate!
I ended up working on it to almost midnight last night by giving it a fine coat of desert yellow and then a wash of devlan mud - will put another lighter coat on top tonight (maybe another thin coat of desert yellow to give it a 'sickly' feel and then use the washes for edging, etc.

I've been using sepia on all my metallics on the Death guard, it brings them up nice and rusty and dirty - still not sure whether to do all the trim in boltgun or bronze though.
Having a look at it last night I think I'm going to complete the outside of it first and give it a varnish before I make a start on the inside - hopefully that will keep my grubby fingers from rubbing off all the paint! What do you think?

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »
This model looks really nice! Is it FW?

Love the pic of the standard bearer next to the gigantic leggs... this guy will be a nice addition to your nurgle force.

Keep posting!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:08 AM »
Which figure do you mean?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:27:44 AM by lijah_cuu »

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 09:04:02 AM »
I personally think Bronze would look better for the trim than Bolt Gun, tonally it fits better with the green and will tie in with the rusty metallics.

And yes I would either varnish the outside first or wear gloves when painting the inside.

Because the coats from the air brush are very thin the grease from your fingers and manual handling could damage some of the finish.

Just fill the interiors with a load of cotton wool to stop the varnish getting in and you should be ok.
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »
cheers mate!
I think I will go with the bronze around the trim - will make the model stand out a bit more as otherwise it will be quite 'dull' if you know what I mean...
Still not sure if im happy with the body colour yet - will give it a thinned ogryn flesh wash tonight as I think that will help dirty it up and then devlan mud around the details, etc. For the feet I will just use the weathering powders and a bit of mithril silver for highlights on the rest of the legs - for all the detail on them theres not that much you need to paint if that makes sense!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:36:10 AM »
Just a quick update, will post pics tonight.
Have decided on a bronze trim with a heavy devlan mud wash - the wash brings down the tone of the bronze in line with the green. A very light mithril silver highlight should finish it off.
I've also given the bodywork a orgyn flesh wash to make it more organic looking.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »
As promised here a re a few pics of what i've got done so far.
I've still yet to touch the main body and finish off the detailing on the legs as i've mainly spent my time on the armour plating and head, etc.
Anything boltgun has just been finished off with a sepia wash and anything bronze has been finished with devlan mud and a little mithril silver drybrush.
I've really enjoyed it so far, although not looking forward to doing the interior - will definatley leave that to last!!!

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »
Just another quick update. Managed to finish the detailing on the legs over the weekend - will leave the weathering to the end just before I varnish the entire figure. Have also finished off all the armour panels apart from a final highlight (and not sure if I really need that tbh.), one of the weapons (vmb) and the head 'cover'.

I hope to finish off the plasma blastcannon over the next couple of days and then put them all to one side so I can do the top half. I am tempted to do all of the outside work, varnish it and then as its only needed superglue to keep it together - pull it apart and do the inside section by section....
This way will allow me to put more detail into the paint job than I would be able to do otherwise but I am worried than once i've painted it the damn thing won't go back together again!!!!!

Chris - for the base of yours - someone on one of the forums has suggested a circular bread board - its about the right size and should only cost you a couple of quid!

A request - can you all keep an eye out for some yellow or green plastic packaging? The model comes supplied with clear palstic for the lenses but I would prefer coloured. I am also going to check out a local art supplies shop to see if they do it.

Will pop pics up tonight.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:41:55 PM »
Apologies for not putting pics up sooner..have had quite a lazy couple of nights and not really got down to doing much but finished work early today and made a start on some bits.

The colours in the pics are a little washed out but hopefully you should get the idea of what the finished thing should look like. I still have to do the 'eye' on the 'cod-piece' (??) but keep putting that off!
Have taken the main body apart so I can paint the interior a little easier - really not looking forward to it as its full of really tiny details!! Bloody Forgeworld sculpters!!
Won't be able to get any done tomorrow night as Rach has the family down so will have to wait to Friday night to do some more.

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #11 on: August 2, 2009, 01:07:27 PM »
Once again, apologies for not putting up any progress sooner. I've been working fairly hard on the model and it seemed daft to put up pics of stuff i'd half finished!
I still need to fiddle with the camera - the colours still come out very washed / faded but I hope you get the idea of what I've been doing.
I left the internal pieces to last - I was really nervous about doing those bits as im a fairly poor detail painter and find my lack of skill very frustrating - I have a couple of projects such as a Thunderbolt that are about 75% completed but i've put to oneside as I know if I make a start on the last bits I generally make a right mess of it!

And finally - in amongst the rest of my Nurgle army:

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #12 on: August 2, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
No apologies needed, I just restarted my Baneblade after a hiatus of ... 6 months or so.

Back to your titan.

It looks great! One can see that you dedicated a lot of time and energy into this project.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
« Reply #13 on: August 2, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Mmmm... Nurlgely. Good job man!
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #14 on: August 2, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
I'm not quite used to so dark of a green on such a large detailed model. Normally on something that screams forgeworld as much as this piece does, people gravitate towards brighter colors to show off all the detail. Maybe you need better lighting.

I demand a battle report!

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #15 on: August 2, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
The titan looks great, good job going the extra mile with the interior (I've seen a lot of models lately where the insides have been simply glued shut).

I like your display cabinet as well, I want one...  :'(
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline lijah_cuu

« Reply #16 on: August 2, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »
Ikea £35!

I decided to keep the Titan a darker colour as I wanted it to look as if it had been abandoned in a swamp for centuries.
The colour in the pic isn't that great but its airbrushed camo green followed by desert yellow, then washes of devlan mud and orgyn flesh to make it look dirty. The metals are either bronze with mud washes to make it look tarnished and boltgun with sepia or mud.
The lighting in my painting room is awful for taking pics - the best light place is the loo but thats just awkward to set anything up in - a light cube is on my ever expanding list of things to buy - I reckon it will be worth it.
Thanks to everyone for the positive comments!

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
Congrats on finishing the Warhound. It looks amazing!