News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Point Pre-Invasion Scout force...  (Read 638 times)

Offline 2.0

• The Road to Enlightenment is Paved in Chaos
2000 Point Pre-Invasion Scout force...
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
So this is how I think a Pre-Invasion Strike/Scout force would work. This would be the Hivemind strike force to scout out a new world and soften up the inhabitants for the Hivefleet Invasion that is coming:

Broodlord
Toxin Sacs
Acid Maw
11 Stealer Retinue
Acid Maw
Toxin Sacs

12 Genestealers
Scuttle

3 Lictors

3 X 32 Spinegaunts
Toxin Sacs
Spinefists
Scuttlers

2 Zoanthropes
Synapse
Warp Blast

2 Biovores
Bio-Acid Mines

The main strategy is to have most things scuttle into position and have a good quick mostly silent firefight with spines, bioacid mines (which i've never visioned the biovores making any sound with thier minefire), warpblasts and such and then clean up with the close combat weapons.

The army was pretty much completely inspired by my want to have 3 full scuttling gaunt broods with spinefists, just seems so much fun.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: 2000 Point Pre-Invasion Scout force...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 01:09:48 PM »
I semi agree with this list. The presence of genestealers and lictors fits the fluff excellently, however, much of the rest seems off to me. I seriously doubt you'd see Biovores early on, as they are slow and vulnerable, and the early stages of a Tyranid assault are focussed very much on speed and decisiveness. Similar arguments apply for zoanthropes. You're missing one hugely important unit regarding early attacks: gargoyles. Gargoyles make a big part of the early attacks of a Tyranid hive fleet. I also think Gaunts would not make a particularly strong appearance, certainly not in a brood that large and unwieldy. I think troops should be purely genestealers, or genestealers and hormagaunts combined. Heavy Support would not make an appearance in a scout force, for damn sure.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline 2.0

• The Road to Enlightenment is Paved in Chaos
Re: 2000 Point Pre-Invasion Scout force...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »
I have zoanthropes in there for synapse and I feel they would show up to sow confusion and such into the populace as the invasion begins.  And any reason that they wouldn't grow the biovores in place beforehand?  with bioacid or toxin mines, i could really see them dropped in and spraying thier acid/gas as the invasion happens again to distract from the main strike force.

Gaunts i really see as an infiltrating bug.  Not sure why you disagree.  They fleet, they are small and low profile, they'd be silent and the spinegaunts would give them mobility over the other more "rifle" weapons.

I do appreciate the feedback, and i always take it all into consideration (otherwise i wouldn't post it).  It just sounds like our views are slightly different which is never a bad thing.  thanks

EDIT - plus i'm trying to stay away from the very heavy genestealer lists as well as everyone is doing them nowadays

Please do not serial post, use the or buttons to edit your previous post instead of making another post :) ~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:01:53 PM by - Makenshi Istarria - »