News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Future is here!!!  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
The Future is here!!!
« on: February 28, 2002, 03:03:36 PM »
Follow this link:http://www.iht.com/articles/49308.html

Looks like the worlds about to get a little scarier...

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Niran of Asha An

Re:The Future is here!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2002, 03:28:34 PM »
40k irl...

and dubya is in charge of it all :o
aaahhhh!
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Cheantoa

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2002, 03:34:24 PM »
Jerks. Why do they want such big scary stuff? Oh, ya, they made themselves horrible enemies to heaps of countries and have come as close to world domination as possible, and are afraid that everyone might start trying to kill them. Ya, I forgot about that.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

• If I hear ONE MORE PERSON crying cheese....
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2002, 03:36:41 PM »
I've heard about this.  Good idea, actually...It'll make American troops more resistant to enemy fire, and anything that keeps Americans from getting killed, I like...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Cheantoa

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2002, 04:08:52 PM »
Quote; But he and other army officials hope one will be a fighting vehicle as lethal as a 70-ton M-1 tank that weighs just a quarter of that and can roll off the back of a C-130 transport airplane and open fire with a directed-energy weapon, perhaps a laser gun or a high-power microwave cannon.

ooooo how benefical. Americans lives saved, AND overpopulation are solved. So they can kill alot more, easier.

At this rate, they're gonna kill the world by the next millenia. that's it. I'm moving to mars.

I really hate this. How can world peace hatch from violence? Wasn't the point of (current day) armies to maintain peace?

I hate any war that doesn't happen on tables.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2002, 04:20:04 PM »
World peace is, quite simply, an impossible dream.  People will always be power hungry, and therefore will always try to grasp power through violence.  And, in the end, the person with the biggest gun will win.  And I prefer to have the biggest gun.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2002, 04:33:56 PM »

I really hate this. How can world peace hatch from violence? Wasn't the point of (current day) armies to maintain peace?

I hate any war that doesn't happen on tables.

I agree with you Cheantoa! Fighting for peace is like $crewing for Virginity...

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2002, 05:06:46 PM »
/ooc My god, by the time Bush is done with this America will be surrounded by a 10,000 foot concrete wall will missile turrets every 100 feet and the Navy swarming the entire surface of the earth.  He put enough into the budget to do so...  My god he spent 200 billion dollars on missile defense when America hasn't even ever been attacked by a missile, I don't think.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2002, 05:12:21 PM »
But world peace is bad for the U.S. economy, and bush is going to have to do a lot to get re-elected, especially because of the way he "won" in the first place. I'm not sure but maybe those of you who live outside the U.S. could enlighten me on this, but usually in a democratic election doesn't the guy that gets the most votes win? Don't get me wrong I was not a big fan of Clinton or Gore, Both the Democrats and Republicans are a bunch of corrupt facists that only care about their personal objectives and not about the people whom they govern.
This confusion is my illusion

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2002, 05:59:42 PM »
These are the times I'm not proud to be American...

I imagine the Generals are dancing in joy right now.

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2002, 07:21:29 PM »
we should spend the money for world relief...things aren't getting any better for the opressed outside our country...
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline fusion corsair

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2002, 09:12:46 PM »
Im really glad to hear some of the responses on this topic. Its nice to know that some people out there have an interest in the betterment of the world and not just the growth of thier bank accounts. I think that Bush is terrible. Personally i think he is little more than a puppet for big buisness and the oil barons. I mean opening up a national park for drilling COME ON!!! The government should be pushing for the development of new technologies to replace the combustion engine. Instead the army is getting LASERS! it really pizzes me off. Alot could be donre to improve things around the worl as well, like debt forgiveness.  Well thats my 25 cents worth.

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2002, 09:47:49 PM »
I wasn't aware that lasers were good enough for warfare....well. suprise suprise.

Right, the Bush family aren't exactly the model family, nor the most moral. They definetly have something to do with the market crash...

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline MartianNature

• I love the smell of starcannons in the morning...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2002, 10:26:48 PM »
You know, there's something eerily Terminator 2: Judgment Day about all of this...

laser weapons, combat units manned by artificial intelligence...

Future Combat Systems - Cyberdyne systems?

"It is powerfully complex, because we're used to as a government defining everything at the beginning - it is to be so big, so wide, and run so fast," - Skynet anyone?!  

Now begins the rise of the machines!  Watch the United States give birth  to the greatest enemy mankind has ever known  :-\  :-\  :-\ Ok, I don't wanna jinx it or anything but, watch your step guys, this is seriously sensitive stuff you're dealing with....
"These are the End Times.  The Apocalypse.  Gotterdammerung.  Ragnarok.  The Void.  King of Battles.  Jutenborg.  The Great Conflagration.  The Death of Stars.  How many names to tell of this warring end?  To tell of this violent time when Time itself is smashed asunder?" - Inquis Exterminatus.

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2002, 10:56:20 PM »
bah, don't give me any more of that 'bush didn't win' CRAP.  he won.  get over it.  i don't like a lot of the stuff he's done, either.  and you cannot honestly claim that [Gore--whoops, typo] won the most votes.  my understanding is that the number of uncounted votes vastly surpasses the margin of error and difference between the two candidates, and many of those are military votes that were likely to be for bush.

i do agree that the money should be spent on developing new engine technologies and the like...helping underdeveloped countries that want it (but not by throwing food at them--education and training), reducing pollution, etc.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2002, 09:50:21 PM by Vegtam »
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

« Reply #15 on: March 1, 2002, 12:26:30 AM »
1) Bush had nothing to do with the market crash. None of his economic package had even passed congress when it happened, and it wouldn't have any affect for years to come even after it does pass.

2) People outside our country won't have any better a life if they're ruled by despots and tyrants.  The reason we have a better quallity of life in America is, in large part, because of our method of government.  Our government is what allows us to have the military that keeps us safe, the laws to allow our economy to grow, and the ability to ensure freedom for our people.  Nations with a dictatorship or any other form of tyrannical government that suppresses human rights will not be helped by our financial aid.  In order to help those people, we have to get them under the leadership of someone who will allow us to truly help them.  And those in power now aren't gonna back down through talk.

3) War is an unpleasant neccessity.  Especially in the current situation: how else do you propose that we elliminate the threat of terorism?  This topic has been discussed at length in the war on terror thread, so I won't go into it here.

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
« Reply #16 on: March 1, 2002, 09:54:57 AM »

. Alot could be donre to improve things around the worl as well, like debt forgiveness.  Well thats my 25 cents worth.

The US has forgiven Billions of dollars in debt, to many nations, then turned around and loaned them MORE money. We send food and relief supplies to third-world nations, only to see them sit on the docks and ROT, undistributed, because corrupt regimes are waiting to be bribed. America does a lot of questionable, self-serving things, and the world loves to (deservedly) bash us for it. We also spend more in foreign aid and disaster relief than any other country on the planet, and no-one says a word. bear in mind we don't owe these third-world nations anything.
Except for one: Ethiopia.
Why, you ask?
Ethiopia wasn't always a desert. It was a lush, green place. Several years ago when George Washington Carver developed many new uses for the Peanut, we payed the Ethiopian government to grow peanuts there, which we would then buy back from them, thus boosting their economy. Unfortunately, back then, we didn't know about crop-rotation (no-body did...), and the constant growing of peanuts depleted the nitrogen from their soil, so that nothing grows there now. THOSE people ARE our national responsibility. WE have to feed them, and Ethiopia..... is where our food rots on the docks, waiting to be distributed.

`Boss!
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #17 on: March 1, 2002, 02:43:20 PM »
bush didn't have anything to do with the bad economy, but alot of what he is doing is to turn the economy around. War is always an economy boost, WWII is what brought the U.S. out of the deppression.  If he plays himself as a war hero, and turns around the economy then he will be re-elected easily, clinton wasn't doing anything great but because the economy was doing good he was easily re-elected over Dole, even though George Bush Sr. had become quite popular in the US after the war with Iraq, the US had gone into a small recession before the election, so they voted Clinton in.

as for the infamous election, my problem is not with bush it is with our election process. The elctoral colege makes a mockery of the democratic ideals that our country was founded upon. It was created for two reasons, some of the government people at the time did not trust the common man to make the right vote, It was also institued to preserve the institution of slave labor. The norther states were filled with abolitionists, and the voting population in the north was 3 or 4 times that of the voting population of that in the south, but because of the electoral college 15 southern slave owners votes counted as much as 150 norther abolitionists. I view it as an antiqauted, morckery of the patriotic Ideals of our country. I wont say that bush wouldn't have won anyway he very well could have, in my state alot of people don't vote because their votes don't matter, the last time the utah electoral votes didn't go to the republican candidate was in the 50s, If we had a direct vote election then people would have known that their votes counted and then alot more people would have went out to vote out and vote on all sides. It is kind of crazy that the last presidential elections had record turnout of voters, but we were still only at like 46% of the population voting, so even though gore won the popular vote he really only had like 24% of the total populations vote, it is worse that George Bush was elected president with only 23% of the nations vote, However many presidents have been elected on far less.

as for the United states, the only human rights that the us government is concerned about are the rights of its own citizens, you have to take a more global approach to human rights to be truly justified as a moral government, not that one actually exists. The us gov supports the sudi arabian monarchy who oppress their own people to gain finacial wealth because the us needs their oil. In Iran we supported the Sha of Iran, A facist dictator who grew wealthy on the suffering of his people because he was at war with Iraq, and Iraq was allied with the soviet union, so we supported him just because Iraq was allied with the soviet union. The US doesn't really care about the human rights of other countries, oh sure they put on the facade that they care, but just this week the us released more of the Nixon tapes, that contradict his public statments that he only wanted to attack military targets in vietnam, when nixon was discussing escalating the war effort
"I'd rather use the nuclear bomb,"
"We want to decimate that g0ddamned place." "North Vietnam is going to get reordered. ... It's about time, it's what should have been done long ago."
« Last Edit: March 1, 2002, 02:45:15 PM by Prince of the laughing god »
This confusion is my illusion

Offline Niran of Asha An

« Reply #18 on: March 1, 2002, 09:11:32 PM »
why doesn't bush spend at least half of that 200 billion dollars on clean energy policies? maybe that'd make poor bush lose even more money after than enron thing :'(  we may give out the most aid but we also give out the most pollution.  anyone remember kyoto? >:(
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Offline fusion corsair

« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2002, 10:03:13 PM »
I remember kyoto! Canada also agreed to the sign the agreement but has since tried to back out. As far as the environment goes Canada is probably worse for polluting than the US, its just that we have a much smaller population. Oh for all you US citizens, you might be interested to know that the city of Totonto made a deal with Michigan(i think thats the state) to send them the cities garbage. Thats right,  Toronto pays the government to dump thier garbadge there, shizzzy eh! There are so many better alternatives than that, and u guys shouldnt have to pay for our poor environmental policies.
Wraithboss, i dont agree with sending food to 3rd world countries, i believe that the people must be empowered through education or training, and economic opportunity. I know the US has forgiven alot of debt, and so has Canada, but i think people are pushing to have all the debt removed. I was invited to a conference on debt forgiveness this weekend but i cant make it. This means i really know very little about debt forgiveness and its implications.