News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Making use of the Burning Chariot Kit!  (Read 2538 times)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Making use of the Burning Chariot Kit!
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
Well, there is a general consensus that the Burning Chariot of Tzeentch is pretty worthless in game at the moment, but I feel that people may have overlooked the usefulness of the kit itself. Having dove into the kit, and taken some time to look at the parts, I've realized that the kit is actually an amazing collection of miniatures wrapped up in a reasonably priced kit.

The most obvious model to take from this kit is the Herald of Zteentch. Consider that while the other gods all have their own plastic Heralds for $25 a pop, we are left with two options for our Herald of Tzeentch: Either we pay $40 for a crapcast Herald on a Disc, or we pay $40 for a plastic Herald with the whole Chariot kit as a bonus. Guess which kit you should buy... However, it seems like a lot of extra dough to fork out for one model, so it would be a shame to not use anything else. Luckily, we can!

Parting the kit out, we find:
1xHerald of Tzeentch
1xExalted Flamer (looks amazing as a Pyrocaster (use 40mm base) leading a squad of Flamers, just don't add the giant fire piece (makes him too big))
3xBlue Horrors (hmm, could definitely use as decorations, or as Counters, or maybe put two together and count as a Pink Horror)
2xScreamers of Tzeentch. I have confirmed that the bodies are exactly the same as the normal Screamer kit. Seeing as how that kit comes with tons of spare parts, there are enough pieces left over in a single box to complete both Screamers from the Chariot kit, just add sphere top Flying stands!
1x"Portalglyph" (the disk is a perfect piece to represent the Portalglyph Exalted Reward, likely best on a 60mm base as it overlaps a 40mm base))

Now, if we figure the approximate prices of these models (just throwing out my guesses for some of these):
$25 Herald of Tzeentch (what other single Heralds cost)
$15 Exalted Flamer (guess for squad leader model)
$10 Blue Horrors (guess for random little guys)
$20 Screamers ($30 for 3, so $20 for 2)
$20 Portalglyph (guess for small scenery-ish piece)
=$90 of models for $40, an estimated $50 of savings! (give or take)

Granted, there are some diminishing returns as you can only have one Portalglyph, and you may need to buy some bases if you don't have any lying around, but I think that, overall, this kit is actually an amazingly good variety pack of Tzeentch models, especially in this day and age of GW price gougery.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:19:02 AM by GaleRazorwind »
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Re: Making use of the Burning Chariot Kit!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
An exellent post and some great points made  :)

I'm one of those still waiting to build my chariot as I hope they will FAQ it to make it work, I've already build a herald and intend to use the blue horrors to make a version of the bluescribes or another generic herald using the other parts  in the kit.