News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need tactical nuclear Virus weapons...  (Read 827 times)

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
Need tactical nuclear Virus weapons...
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:19:53 AM »
I don't know how, but I managed to contract... something...  It happened today, when I didn't download anything, didn't go to any new sites, or anything like that.  All my usual spyware/virus stuff was running, and it's not even an especially malicious virus, it's just eating up a pretty decent chunk of my memory.

Basically when I look at my task manager, i see "IEXPLORER.exe" running up around 60,000k of memory (upgraded to IE7 [I don't care about it, I use FF] and now it is "iexplorer.exe" in the TM).  I close the task, not even 10 seconds later, the "iexplorer.exe" has reloaded and ramped way back up to 60,000k of memory.

McAfee (out of date) isn't getting rid of it, and Lavasoft Ad-Aware isn't getting rid of it.  System Restore to 3 days ago, no change.  I have no idea what this virus is, so if you know what it is that would help.  I'm sure I could solve the problem by just uninstalling IE, but Microsoft has made that damn near impossible.  If you know of any amazing antivirus programs that are free or cost under $30, tell me about it.  As I said, this isn't malicious, but I pretty much can't run any programs without noticeable run-time delays, which is pretty impressive because I can run WoW without any of these problems, and it uses much more memory.

Edit: I also get a little IE popup spam whenever I start up FF... odd...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:22:35 AM by Samdan »
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: Need tactical nuclear Virus weapons...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:42:09 AM »
When you open up IE is the home page anything different from what it usually was? If it is then do a search on that site, you will find your solution there (but there is sometimes tons of crap to go through, sometimes do nothing and "require money" to fix found problems). Thats atleast how I always fix those problems.

As for antivirus programs, I'd recommend AVG free edition... it's free, updates regularly and is tons better than many antivirus programs that require money. Just a note, they are discontinuing 7.2, they have released 7.5 recently.

Googled it for ya and found this. Good luck agaisnt it

also this, says its a worm and can spread through MSN or other methods of communication. That could be it from what you have said you have done today, and worms take up space
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 12:48:16 AM by Forgotten Myth »

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »
I will second the nod to AVG.  Very good program and it is the main one I use now.  If you have Firefox you can also get Google "pack" that has a free 6 month virus program.
http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en&gl=us&utm_source=en_US-et-more&utm_medium=et&utm_campaign=en_US
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:34:23 AM »
What you really want is Zone Lab's ZoneAlarm, preferably their security suite as it combines both a firewall, virus scanner, program control, daily system definition updates, email protection.... the works. Of course this isn't free, but their is a trial version I believe which should clear your problem right up.

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:09:03 PM »
Thanks Forgotten Myth.

I'll try to use that site to remove this thing some time today...  I would have done some sort of search like you did, but FF was moving so slow that I thought it would be faster to just ask around.

I'm off to meet some friends now that I'm back in town, but I'll probably be able to do all this later tonight...  Luckily, registry editing is not new to me.
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:03:29 AM »
Ah, yeah, AVG is good stuff, but time is running-out for free support.  It has a boot scanner which might help.

I think this same virus, or something like it, got onto my dad's computer.  I think the only way he was able to remove it was to run in Safe Mode and then run a virus scan.  It's activated by clicking on it or trying to interact with it in any way, it tends to copy to another location.

Exterminatus will solve anything.  Make copies of all your files (then quaranteen them from other computers in case the virus is on there) and then reformat your computer.  It's a good idea to do both things on a regular basis, anyway (all hard drives will eventually fail).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm sorry. Nothing can be done I'm afraid.

You're computer has been infected with a particularly nasty virus knows as "microsoft". This virus will eat up you memory, freeze up your computer. Close important office documents without saving them, and generally decrease the value of your computer.

Certain software companies try their best to help users who has been infected,  companies like Symantec, McAfee, Norman, Lavasoft etc. These are all stopgap measures unfortunately, and in the end you will have to toss your computer on the dump and buy a new one.

Again, I'm terribly sorry. There just isn't much to do.

Offline communisteldarfistsoffury

• All Hail Gholiac.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:07:14 AM »
of course you could always reinstall the system and wipe it.
Autarchs>Farseers

Offline [Thor]

• Beliskner, the Chariot of Thor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
Try turning off the system restore option, and deleting any files there. A common virus tactic is to hide in System restore, as virtually all virus scanners do not check there, so you could run a scan, and it just hides itself in restore files. Turn it off, and try again. If this doesn't work, Nuke it.  ;)

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Roy, for a second there I thought you were being serious and was worried.  Then I had a good laugh.

Well folks, thanks for the advice, but it seems like we had ourselves a case of wolves in sheeps' clothing.  I went through those two sites, and out of the myriad of files they said might be there/infected, I found only two of them on my computer, and promptly got rid of them.  Now my computer won't log in.  I get to the log-in screen, click my account, enter the password, it says "Loading personal settings", I hear the comforting windows loading sound, and then the computer promptly logs out before it even loads anything.

Safe Mode, same thing.  Last Known Good, same thing.  My computer is in the hands of the chinese right now, I have high hopes that at the very least, if they can't fix my computer, I have many computer-savvy friends (would have had them help me, but none of them had an XP Pro disc, although I found out one of them I hadn't thought of had one...) who can help me emigrate my programs and stuff after I boot windows from my secondary drive.  This is assuming that the chinese can't fix it, but they do good work.  If you have one near you, I highly recommend taking your computer to a small chinese-owned computer store for repair.