News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Spirit Stones in 5th? Worth the Cost?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
Spirit Stones in 5th? Worth the Cost?
« on: July 21, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
So I've been seeing this around with a lot of the Mechanized armies, that many people aren't sure whether Spirit Stones are necessary now that SMF is only gained when moving Flat Out, and even then our vehicles aren't dependent upon it for survival, especially not with the changed damage table. My question is, are Spirit Stones still worth the cost? At first I thought, "of course!", but as I think about why people might  be questioning them, I'm also wondering.

Good Hunting,
-Stezerok

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Spirit Stones in 5th? Worth the Cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
I think the stones are more important for serpents than prisms with falcons sort of sitting in the middle.  You don't want your transport sitting somewhere stunned when it is supposed to be moving stuff.  Stones don't really help the prism do its job, they are more defensive.

The upgrade that makes less sense to me is holofields.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:26 PM »
People tend to throw firepower at our vehicles.  Every now and then, that 2 (or a glancing 4) will come up on the table.  The ability to continue moving when needed is still vital, I think.  If I was fielding 4+ serpents, I might consider dropping them - they can't fire at every vehicle.  Otherwise, they stay on mine.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline flipONE

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »
I think the stones are more important for serpents than prisms with falcons sort of sitting in the middle.  You don't want your transport sitting somewhere stunned when it is supposed to be moving stuff.  Stones don't really help the prism do its job, they are more defensive.

Why would you consider holofields less useful? They still increase survivability, just not as broken as it used to be.

I agree with Stones being less useful on a Fire Prism, and definitely important for Wave Serpents.

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »
For transports: Yes, good

For Gunships: Not bad, but not critical

For Squadrons of walkers or vypers: Useless  (you get the effect for free)

Other have already mentioned that its a nice gamble to leave them off. Sure it might hurt you a bit if you get unlucky, but in a larger army you can afford a whole free unit from the points savings.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

Why would you consider holofields less useful? They still increase survivability, just not as broken as it used to be.

I agree with Stones being less useful on a Fire Prism, and definitely important for Wave Serpents.

I don't think they are worth their points.  The vehicles are durable enough without them and by the time you sink all those points into the stones and fields, you are close to having enough point for another unit.  Two falcons or prisms for that matter spend 90 points for fields and stones.  Save those points and you are just 25 points shy of getting a prism, or 10 points shy of getting a serpent.  Now that you can be penetrated they lose some of their value.  Pens destroy 1/9 of the time now (1/18 if you get a cover save).  Glances before only destroyed 1/36 of the time.  So the effectiveness of stones has been reduced 50%-75%.  (I didn't factor in glances which will close the gap a bit, but not entirely).  The points of the upgrade have remained the same, but the cost has not.

I never bought the overpowered bit either.  You paid 200 points for a transport that could only transport 6 models and would only shoot about 1/2 the time.  But even if it was overpowered it wasn't 50% or 25% of what it should have cost.

You don't need HF/SS on a falcon so much anymore because it can't score anymore so isn't that big a deal if it dies.  Serpent transport just fine, particularly since you can keep them in reserve if you are worried about being shot.  HF/SS are a way to try to keep the vehicle alive, but doing so isn't that valuable if it isn't shooting.  The prism, if it loses its gun, and that is not all that unlikely with th HF, has mostly outlived its usefulness and now is an overpriced torpedo or vyper or something.

I just don't think HFs are justified for the price you pay.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline flipONE

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »
I don't think they are worth their points.  The vehicles are durable enough without them and by the time you sink all those points into the stones and fields, you are close to having enough point for another unit.  Two falcons or prisms for that matter spend 90 points for fields and stones.  Save those points and you are just 25 points shy of getting a prism, or 10 points shy of getting a serpent.  Now that you can be penetrated they lose some of their value.  Pens destroy 1/9 of the time now (1/18 if you get a cover save).  Glances before only destroyed 1/36 of the time.  So the effectiveness of stones has been reduced 50%-75%.  (I didn't factor in glances which will close the gap a bit, but not entirely).  The points of the upgrade have remained the same, but the cost has not.

I never bought the overpowered bit either.  You paid 200 points for a transport that could only transport 6 models and would only shoot about 1/2 the time.  But even if it was overpowered it wasn't 50% or 25% of what it should have cost.

You don't need HF/SS on a falcon so much anymore because it can't score anymore so isn't that big a deal if it dies.  Serpent transport just fine, particularly since you can keep them in reserve if you are worried about being shot.  HF/SS are a way to try to keep the vehicle alive, but doing so isn't that valuable if it isn't shooting.  The prism, if it loses its gun, and that is not all that unlikely with th HF, has mostly outlived its usefulness and now is an overpriced torpedo or vyper or something.

I do see where you're coming from, but I guess its from different schools of thought. While you consider 200 points for a 6 person transport to be overpriced, I found it useful (and calming) to have something out there that I KNEW would stick around, regardless of how often it shot (I found that paying for the extra Shuriken Cannon was actually the kneecapper here). It was also 200 points that I considered VP denial due to its durability.

But I'm also a person who doesn't mind spending points for dependability's sake.

In addition, this all changed when 5th came out. So I agree with the consensus, that HF/SS for a Falcon is now an overpriced option that doesn't give as much as it used to. Wave Serpents should take it for common sense's sake. I don't have enough experience to put in any thoughts about the Fire Prism (truthfully).

I didn't really want to start a different thread for this (as it pertains to vehicle upgrades), so what's everyone's deal w/ Vectored Engines or Star Engines, are these worth the points now? With the 5th changes?

Offline nil

• I'm a grown man who plays with dolls. Pity me.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:02:33 AM »
I think it would suck to have a WS full of banshees race forward, get stunned, and be stuck there, with its cargo unable to assault.

Unless the rules have changed re: stunned/shaken and disembarking?
Please visit my Eldar Pirate conversion project at http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=212375.msg2591462;topicseen#msg2591462-- yellow elf needs feedback badly!

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:07:13 AM »
The rules have charged alot with regards to stunning: Its less likely.

Any vehicle damage now will only cause it one time in 6.
In 4th edition, 100% of penetrating hits also caused stunning as a side effect.

so its less likely, in that way.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »
How often did our vehicles take penetrating hits though.  Pens were so rare, they really weren't a consideration.  The real risk with getting stunned was that next turn you couldn't move to maintain the SMF bonus.  Now it doesn't really matter if you aren't moving if you have cover so getting stunned isn't as dangerous for the vehicle.

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »
I'm going to disagree with some opinions here and say that I'll be putting both HF and SS's on my Prisms (but not on my falcons, those are sitting on the shelf).

Here's my rationale...

Being able to stay out of range or out of LOS of dedicated enemy AT will be more difficult in this edition thanks to TLOS, and outflanking and running and everyone's increase in mobility overall.  Being able to Move up to 12" with the prism and still shoot its big gun is a big advantage in regards to being able to find "safe" areas to dispose of those pesky shaken and stunned results.

And there's where the SS/HF come into play.  With the HF's you're very likely to get a 1 or 2 on the damage table, and the spirit stones will allow you to get out of harms way next round so you can recover with guns blazing.

Offline Hypopheralcus

• What's for lunch?
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
I'm pro-holofield as well. The HF still doubles the falcon's chance of surviving. And not being a scoring unit is not that much of an problem if you turboboost your holofalcon onto a mission objective in one of the last turns to contest it which puts the opponent under great pressure to remove that tank.

Offline srintuar

• Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »
Defenestratus,

If you play on maps where the stones work to your advantage, then more power to you.

I think they are good, just not critical for many situations.

Right now im actually making some "5th edition terrain" myself, so perhaps movement will be critical for me soon. (5th edition terrain == ridiculously big hills)

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
Right now im actually making some "5th edition terrain" myself, so perhaps movement will be critical for me soon. (5th edition terrain == ridiculously big hills)

you Aint kidding...

It was actually a mixed bag for my game group.  We had OOGLES of 2ed terrain that had been sitting around collecting dust.  When 5th came around, we brushed off the old terrain and it worked just as well as it did in 2ed for the purposes of starting arguments, err.. I mean playing a fun game of lawyerham... err warhammer :P

Offline bca11

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »
Quote from: Gwaihir link=topic=166269.msg2013235#msg2013235 date=1216676168
[/quote

Who else gets an ability as good?  Venerable dreads get a similar ability, but they have to choose a reroll and pick the second result, even if its worse.  We get the best of 2d6.

Offline Dinendal

• Infinity Circuit
  • LARPing FTW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »
I think if you use the cities of death ruins you will have lots of chance to black LOS to your tanks. Unless you get really unlucky and find your opponent looking through 3 windows and having a peek on your falcon you will be fine.

Spirit stones: waveserpent and if you plan to use your falcon as a primary transport (which is stupid)

Holo-field: Falcon and fire prism = a must.
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »
Actually, I've completely done away with most of the upgrades, though further games will tell if I want to add some back. My most upgraded is the Serpent [Shuriken cannon, stones and Star Engines], which makes it the medium total cost at 125pts. Next is the Falcon, with a missile launcher [armament] and star engines [upgrade], also the most expensive total cost at 150pts. Finally is the Fire Prism, the cheapest at a meager 115pts.

Offline Dinendal

• Infinity Circuit
  • LARPing FTW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:52 PM »
Actually, I've completely done away with most of the upgrades, though further games will tell if I want to add some back. My most upgraded is the Serpent [Shuriken cannon, stones and Star Engines], which makes it the medium total cost at 125pts. Next is the Falcon, with a missile launcher [armament] and star engines [upgrade], also the most expensive total cost at 150pts. Finally is the Fire Prism, the cheapest at a meager 115pts.

I think it might be something to consider.

To get another prism for instance
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:24 AM »
You don't need HF/SS on a falcon so much anymore because it can't score anymore so isn't that big a deal if it dies.

Falcon still seems useful to me.
*Its still incredibly survivable, allowing for denial of KP
*Can contest objectives
*Even when shaken, can easily deliver a strength 10 ramming hit and survive
*Can pick up depleted troop units (such as Avengers, you only need 4 to die) and then park on an objective. You can score in a transport and the Falcon/Land raider is the safest place to be

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:24 AM »
You don't need HF/SS on a falcon so much anymore because it can't score anymore so isn't that big a deal if it dies.

Falcon still seems useful to me.
*Its still incredibly survivable, allowing for denial of KP
*Can contest objectives
*Even when shaken, can easily deliver a strength 10 ramming hit and survive
*Can pick up depleted troop units (such as Avengers, you only need 4 to die) and then park on an objective. You can score in a transport and the Falcon/Land raider is the safest place to be

I think you are missing the fact that armed with a BL or EML it's AT potential is greater than the Fire Prism, and it really becomes a work of art...

But I think your last point is the one that I find most interesting. I figure anytime now-a-days that you can take a wounded squad and "rescue" them or relocate them, then you are doing yourself and a service, and if it's a troops unit, it could put a squad far from the objective, right to it. It's a pity that tanks cannot move Flat Out when a squad embarks...

Good Hunting,
-Stezerok