News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1700 point semi-competitive list  (Read 675 times)

Offline quozl

1700 point semi-competitive list
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:22:02 AM »
Lord
Res Orb, Veil of Darkness 200

Warriors
2 x units of 10 360

Immortals
1 x unit of 8 224

Destroyers
1 x Unit of 3
2 x Units of 4

Heavy Destroyers
2 x units of 1 130

Monolith 235

I've been playing a lot of Tyranid Monstrous Creatures recently as I'm entering an upcoming tourney.

As a change from that I bought a cheap Necron army on ebay and I want to make a fairly different army from the NidZilla. The NidZilla list is very competitive so I'm not as bothered about that with the Necrons, but I don't want a terrible list. What I want is something fast (unlike my nids!) and shooty, I think a destroyer orientated list will be fun to play.

I also have a monolith and as I've never gotten to play a vehicle (just tonnes of TMCs) I really want to include it, whether it's that effecient or not.

I originally wanted lots of destroyers and a VODing lord jumping a unit of immortals around while 2 squads of warriors advance with the monolith, or stand back behind it. The problems that I see with that (I'm new to necrons so this is just guess work) are that then I can't have res orb support for the warriors as my lord will be jumping everywhere. A res orb would be wasted on him if he's just jumping around with T5 immortals (I'm happy not to use one...). And also that the lord/immortals would be at risk of dying, and considering they can move 6", still shoot and I have lots of mobile destroyers, do I really need a VODing immortal squad?
So my original plan of no res orbi and a VODing lord/immortal squad has been replaced with the idea of the immortals, lord (with orb now) and 2 warrior squads hanging around behind the monolith as it advances forward. The immortals can move and shoot, 1 warrior squad can go through the lith and shoot 24" and the other can stand and fire 24" and be monolith ported next turn. Unless it's a cc horde army in which case the monolith will go forward with the immortals/warriors hanging back a bit.

The destroyers will try and wipe out infantry, while the heavy destroyers will try and at least stun vehicles. If the heavy destroyers fail, then I know destroyers can usually pull out a glance too.
I know heavy destroyers aren't very highly thought of, but coming from a TMC I know how horribly destroyers do against T6 3+ or worse T6 2+ saves, so I'd like a couple of heavy destroyers to help with flying tyrants, etc. Plus being in squads of 1 they can tap two different vehicles in the same turn with luck, while providing WBB by being near each other.

I've only played two 1000 point necron games (vs Dark Eldar) so I'm a complete newbie to them. I've actually played against them a lot more

Any major flaws in my logic?
Any things I really should change? Remember, this isn't a super competitive list, so I really do want to keep in the lith for fun