News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Fists  (Read 3696 times)

Offline lo

Imperial Fists
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »
Hello I am thinking of starting am Imperial fists army now. I was wondering if any one had any advice for me as far as what to pick up, or what works best for they're army. I will be picking up the mega-force when it comes out in December, it seemed like a good start. Also if anyone knows any of they're fluff as far as what they use in battle etc. it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
GW: "We're all about coulda, not shoulda"

Offline Powerslave

• "It's all part of the plan."
Re: Imperial Fists
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:08:50 AM »
I play and collect Imperial Fists, as well as their "Archnemesis" army - Iron Warriors. So, I can give you a couple of pointers.

Fluff wise - the Imperial Fists are a very defensive army. They are known for heavy fortifications that are nearly unbreakable. They are also known for their siege warfare skills, since it complements their main purpose very well. It was Rogal Dorn, the Primarch of the Imperial Fists, who was in charge for the fortifications of the Imperial Palace on Terra during the Horus Heresy. The Imperial Fists were the key defensive legion in the process of Terra's defense, alongside the brave Blood Angels and White Scars. Sigsimund, one of the main Imperial Fists' Captains, was in charge of securing supplies, technology and weaponry from Mars when the Heresy erupted. This explains the arrival of the IFs on Mars in the novel Mechanicum.

Imperial Fists make extensive use of Vindicators, Land Raiders, Terminators and Sternguard Veterans. Personally, I built my army around Pedro Kantor - who is the Chapter Master of Crimson Fists, an IF descendant chapter. I painted good old Pedro in IF colors. I have two Sternguard squads and a close combat Terminator squad. They are supported by two Vindicators, a Land Raider (Prometheus) and a Devastator squad. To represent even more reliance on siege warfare, I gave 2 Lascannons to one of my Sternguard squads. And of course, I mechanized the whole army.

If you want to have a special character in charge, then I can recommend Pedro Kantor or Lysander.

In reality they are a very dedicated Codex Chapter. They can easily rival the Ultramarines for their belief in codex organization.
http://timeofending.blogspot.com/ - my blog
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:31:51 AM »
I think it should be noted since Sigismund was mentioned, that he went on to do other things when the Imperial Fists chapter was split after the Heresy, Sigismund became the first High Marshal of the Black Templars.

(model of Sigismund created for the 25th anniversary, painted by some guy on the internet...)
Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:32:08 PM »
In reality they are a very dedicated Codex Chapter. They can easily rival the Ultramarines for their belief in codex organization.

hmmm... I remember reading somewhere that Rogal Dorn was so against splitting his Legion up as suggested by Guilleman that it almost came to war. But then again he DID relent and as we all know the Crimson Fists and the Black Templars were born.

I've always liked the Imperial Fists. I love the fluff behind them being the Defenders of Holy Terra. 'Praetorians' to the Emperor.
The only reason I didn't opt for collecting them is that I'm already an Iyanden Player there are only so many yellow armies you can have  ;)

Lysander's Terminator assault Phalanx is terrible to behold. (does he still have this ability??) dropping 20+ Terminators on the first turn means any enemy army basically starts on the back foot.

Who is currently the Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists?

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
hmmm... I remember reading somewhere that Rogal Dorn was so against splitting his Legion up as suggested by Guilleman that it almost came to war. But then again he DID relent and as we all know the Crimson Fists and the Black Templars were born.
That'll be in their Index Astartes article if memory serves. I think it's a pride issue on Dorn's part -- the Ultramarines didn't even fight at Terra, whereas the Imperial Fists did.

The only reason I didn't opt for collecting them is that I'm already an Iyanden Player there are only so many yellow armies you can have  ;)
Well that's Bad Moon Orks and Hive Fleet Jörmungandr, at the very least, now unavailable to you :P

Lysander's Terminator assault Phalanx is terrible to behold. (does he still have this ability??) dropping 20+ Terminators on the first turn means any enemy army basically starts on the back foot.
I don't believe so -- I'll edit this as soon as I get home and regain access to my Codex, unless someone gets there first.

Who is currently the Chapter Master of the Imperial Fists?
Since it's not since been retconned, to the best of my knowledge, I assume it's still Vladimir Pugh.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:36:29 AM »

Nope. He does, however, make everybody Stubborn and allow you to fortify terrain like a Techmarine, which is cool and in keeping with the army's fluff. Him + Assault Termies in a Land Raider is a nasty, nasty thing, too.

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
Him + Assault Termies in a Land Raider is a nasty, nasty thing, too.

I aways figured he'd be scarier with Tactical Termies or Sternguard, what with that Bolter Drill.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:42:57 AM »

I aways figured he'd be scarier with Tactical Termies or Sternguard, what with that Bolter Drill.

More of his abilities apply to close combat than to shooting. You're basically dropping the cost of most of a land raider just to re-roll misses--never worth it in my estimation. If you're paying for Lysander, you want him in combat. That doesn't mix well with Sternguard; it can work okay with Tac Termies (particulary a really big squad), but I've never considered the Bolter Drill something you have to use.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »

More of his abilities apply to close combat than to shooting. You're basically dropping the cost of most of a land raider just to re-roll misses--never worth it in my estimation. If you're paying for Lysander, you want him in combat. That doesn't mix well with Sternguard; it can work okay with Tac Termies (particulary a really big squad), but I've never considered the Bolter Drill something you have to use.
To be fair, if you stick him with a unit of Devastators and slap Bolster Defenses on whatever cover they're hiding in, you're looking at an anti-personnel unit that's near impossible to shift (and to be fair, you can always use Lysander as a wound-sink for high-powered single shots if necessary). But it's true, you're wasting a ferocious melee-character if you do that.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »
A friend of mine is running him with a Sternguard squad in Drop Pod. That way, they will make use of his Bolter Drill when they come down, then nobody wants to charge you.