News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WraithGuard economic question..  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
Re: WraithGuard economic question..
« Reply #20 on: June 7, 2009, 06:11:26 AM »
For myself I bought my first squad the old fashioned way about 14 years ago at maybe 11$ apiece, not sure, some years before the 3th ed advent and the start of creeping prices.
Now, my second squad cost me 15 apiece some years back with discount at the LGC and I buy a new one each time I see a used one in sale, trying to make another small squad.

Now lets do some maths.

Models     Number     Point Cost     Money   Scoring Unit
Wraithguard     10 + Warlock     396     215   1
Guardian     10 w/Platform     100 (4=400)     40 (4=160)   1 (4)
Guardian     10 w/Platform + Warlock     130 (3=390)     65 (3=195)   1 (3)
Avenger     10, no Exarch     120 (3=360)     40 (3=120)   1 (3)
Ranger     10     190 (2=380)     90 (2=180)   1 (2)

These are the points paid per model and money involved. If one was inclined to compare the Wraithguard costs to our other TROOP units cost these numbers are what to look for.
Thus, for a similar amount of points, only the Rangers and Guardians + Warlock get into a similar (although lower) range of cost, while naked Guardians and Dire Avengers get cheaper and cheaper per point paid.
So yes, metal models - Wraithguard, Rangers, Warlocks, Aspects - are all very costly, but waiting for all plastic... I wouldn't hold my breath.

For those inclined to swap squads for Wave Serpents and do the maths, a Wave Serpent cost around 55$ and range from 100 to 150 pts aprox.

Coz I was building a 90 Wraithguard strong army and 3 Wraithlords.

Lol @ maxed wraith army. I don't think I've ever seen this. You should really take some pics and share, as that must be a formidable sight. What size game do you have to play to use all 90 and 3 lords?
Straker is right, we want pics, painted or not. ;)

It needs to be Apocalypse games, I don't see any other way of fielding that much points considering the opposition - That around 3950 pts just for the Elite and Troop Wraithguard and HS Wraitlords, no HQ, no Fast Attack.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Iram

« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
I think it would have to be something along the lines of a project army not a war gaming army :P
... New Codex.

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #22 on: June 8, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
a lot of my metal models were bought "used"...
take a look at the painting forum, a once saw a subject on how to strip a model from it's paint... i used "Easy-off" (the oven cleaner stuff) but I had to buy replacement bases... which can happen with most of the ideas you'll find there...