News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden in 5th Edition  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Iyanden in 5th Edition
« on: July 11, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »
Well since it is July 12 in more than half the world, and our Australian and New Zeeland members may be starting get up on the mornig of the 12th (unless they had too much fun last night), I figure I would step bravely into line of sight of the modcannons and get started on a thread about Iyanden in the 5th edition.

I will eventually provide a link to the better information in this thread in tactics section of the Iyanden POC thread.  Also this top post will eventually have links to other Iyanden related thread and specific posts in this thread which offer very good suggestiongs.

The following are a few of my initial, sort of rambling thoughts on the topic.  I have played 5 games with the 5th rules so far so it isn't all just theory.  I am sure though that there is still much to learn.

Wraithguard.

I expect that enhance will become a better option than conceal.  The greater emphasis on objectives rather than victory points will leave us a bit more free to not have to advance on the enemy making it safer to take advantage of cover.  Run will let the guard advance more rapidly when necessary again making conceal a bit less necessary.  I know some (f.descrochers) used enhance quite a bit in 4th; and think it will be even more useful now.  If I run two squads of guard, one will probably never have conceal--it can hide behind the other squad for an even better save.

I still think the 10 man squad on foot will be the best squad to use.  Dragons in a falcon are probably even stronger compared to guard in a serpent than they were before.  They have two significant edges against most armor.  One is that they can destroy vehicles on 4s where the guard will need 5s.  The other is that the exarch can ignore the cover saves that vehicles will often be using to their advantage.  Also the transport will be able to either hide the squad entirely or at the least provide it with a good cover save making the squad potentially more durable than it was before.  Dragons seem to me to be the better option.

There may be good oportunities to transport the guard though in wave serpents purchased for other units.  This could be useful for late game redeployments/objective capturing/contesting once the larger squad has been cut down to a low enough model count.

The wound allocation rules shouldn't hurt the squads too much.  Since they are so hard to wound, it shouldn't be too common that the seer will have to have a wound allocated.  The system may well provide a boost to survivability of the squad since attacks which would ignore armor could be allocated to the seer and any attached IC with an invulnerable save.  Caution will be the rule here, but about 3/4 of power weapon attacks could potentially be stopped this way.

The change to mixed toughness rules makes the seer with a lone surviving guard more survivable.

The combat res system should not hurt the guard too much and with the right support could prove to be quite a boost.  Guard are one of the few units that don't have to worry much about being stranded in the open in the enemy turn because they killed everything in the first round of cc.  They are very hard to kill so will rarely suffer many wounds for a high negative to their res score.  If they have an IC attached (Yriel and certain Phoenix Lords spring to mind) they will have a good chance of getting many kills and winning combat by a large margin forcing the enemy to flee or take many more saves.  I think a strong cc IC attached to a guard squad will become a nasty thing for other armies to deal with.

Also along the lines of the changed cc system.  I think that cc armies may lose a bit of their lustre--time will tell.  Rending is less threatening in cc, and power fists get fewer attacks.  Put all this together and we may not need as much support to extricate the guard from a dangerous cc situation.  This could open the door for a greater emphasis on long-ranged support.

Wraithlords

I have never been a big fan of these guys, but I think that many changes in the system could be a boon for them.  They will be much more capable of getting forward into a cc thanks to run.  The aforementioned changes to fists and rending will reduce the threat they face in cc.  While they certainly aren't superbeasts in combats with their lowly number of attacks, they are still hard to kill and can force some attacks away from your more vulnerable units.  The sword is cheap and if you want to run forward no gun is needed.  A shuriken cannon is a cheap way to give the lord a bit more firepower if you want that.  A sword/shurikencannon lord at 110 points seems attractive to me.

I don't think they really change much in the ranged game, though they should be getting better cover saves.

HQ

I still think the farseer will be a more or less mandatory option so that each wraithguard squad can be fortuned.  Taking two farseers to accompany two independantly functioning guard squads is more feasible since the seers no longer have to worry about being instakilled from perils.  This may decrease the perceived need to take Eldrad in many cases.

Eldrad should still be popular though because he can fortune two squads and leaves an HQ choice open for Yriel or a Phoenix Lord.

Speaking of which, I am looking at Phoenix Lords with new eyes.  If attached to a guard squad their lack of an invulnerable save won't mean much.  You can use the guard to keep powerfists off of the lord.  The lords have a good number of high strength attacks with power weapons which should help quite a bit for combat res, and as mentioned before if you win in the round you charge, so what, the guard can take incoming fire and keep the PL safe at the same time.  Jain Zar can actually help the guard squad in cc since one power works on the enemy rather than her squad.

Yriel is appealing for many of the same reasons the PLs are.  He has to worry about instant death, but the guard could be used to fend off the powerfists to protect him.

The running Avatar is again an interesting choice, though I find that he takes a fortune to really operate to full effect.  A nice thing about Yriel and the PLs is that they can benefit from the squad's fortune giving you more milage out of each fortune casting.  Also the Avatar's fearless bubble isn't that helpful in an army which tends to have a large number of fearless options.

Supporting the core:

In 4th I really focused on getting some solid mid and long-ranged firepower to support the guard as well as some really good cc support to protect them from the real nasty cc things like genestealers and multiple powerfists.  As I said earlier, I think cc will become a bit less of a threat so the need for that really strong cc option is a bit reduced.  Also the IC attached to the wraith squads should really help in that area without being something vulnerable to being killed with shooting.  I am thinking I may feel more comfortable without allocating any more points to cc.

The changes to the blast rules will be a boost to the effectiveness of prisms.  The changes to the vehicle rules should make them very durable even if you don't spend the points on the fields and stones.  Cheap, long-ranged, accuarate, nasty strong fire power.  I really like these now.

Iyanden armies tend to be a bit low on troops.  If you spend 800 points for just 2 troops choices, getting any more begins to be difficult.  With the change to only troops being able to control objectives, this could present a problem.  Of course you only need to control one objective to win as long as you can contest the others.  I have long liked vypers and still do.  They can continue to be very useful for a number of reasons one of which is the fact that they can boost over to an objective and contest it if necessary.  If it is destroyed, another one can fly forward the next turn.  The cost to do this can be as little as 100 points.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:38:18 PM by Gwaihir »

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Iyanden in 5th Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 05:15:50 PM »
Tactical Changes

The mission where you deploy up to 24" on the board presents some intersting options.  One I have thought about when you have first turn is to put your guard squads as far forward as possible (assuming you are going first) stretched out in long thin line.  If you are using Eldrad, attach him to a squad.  After the enemy deploys, redeploy your army back in a good position.  The enemy is pinned at the back of the board and you are positioned where you chose and should be in position to control most of the board.

Kill points missions should be good for Iyanden armies as they tend to have fewer units.  Attaching your HQ choices to your guard squads should be a good way to keep them alive.  An important consideration when building your list should be the durability in the rest of the list.  Keep the other choices durable and hard to kill and we should not need to kill many enemy units to win these battle.

The mission where there are two objectives, on in the enemy DZ and one in ours should be very good for us.  Approaching a squad of guard entrenched in cover is a daunting task.  If we can control the one in our DZ and contest the one in the enemy DZ we win.  Our skimmers should be very good at contesting the objective in the enemy DZ.  A block of wraithguard should also have similar success.  One squad protecting our DZ and the other advancing into the enemy DZ could be quite hard to stop.  It will be important to have a 24" buffer around our DZ objective though when the enemy has fast skimmers of his own.  They can't be allowed to zip in and contest.

The 2+d3 objectives mission has the potential to be the most problematic since Iyanden may often have as few as 2 troops selections.  I don't think we need to feel pressured to take more troops choices though.  Again, you only need to control 1 objective to win the game provided you keep the enemy from controlling any.  One good way to accomplish this should be to push agressively toward the enemy leaving objectives behind our push.  We may not control them, but neither will the enemy.  Attempt to control one or two objectives in the middle of the field and push with the rest of the force to contest those in the enemy's DZ.  Skimmers will be useful for contesting objectives that the footsloggers can't get to.

That brings up something else.  I think that there is much less reason to want the first turn now, and in my 5th games that I've played so far, I have preferred to let my opponent go fist.  This makes it easier to contest at the last minute without getting killed right before the game ends.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:34:44 PM by Gwaihir »

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:37:50 PM »
I don't play lyanden so my post is impartial and based solely on the units you've mentioned regardless of fluff.

I expect that enhance will become a better option than conceal.

Don't bet on it. Going to ground in the open at an objective will grant a 4+ cover save. On a high toughness unit with a good save... I don't care what you hit that with it's not moving. Especially if you attach a farseer and keep fortuning the buggers!

Dragons in a falcon are probably even stronger compared to guard in a serpent than they were before.  They have two significant edges against most armor.  One is that they can destroy vehicles on 4s where the guard will need 5s.  The other is that the exarch can ignore the cover saves that vehicles will often be using to their advantage.

The dragons breath flamer is possibly there best weapon choice now. Even tho crack shot is only half as effective with the flamer as you only really see the re-rolls benefit. It does mean you can use doom somewhere else. And effectively use a 4 man + flamer squad as a tactical squad for killing scouts. If backed up there not too shabby v/s the odd vehicle either. since they still all have melta bombs hitting the rear armour!!!! Wooot auto penetrate with tank hunters V/s most tanks!!!!! They may struggle a little v/s MC's and the like tho.

Our skimmers should be very good at contesting the objective in the enemy DZ.  A block of wraithguard should also have similar success

Contesting but not capturing... the guard need to be in a unit of 10 to be troops... The skimmers can only contest. Avengers or pathfinders will be best at capturing quarters. Avengers probably rock my boat a little more.

The 2+d3 objectives mission has the potential to be the most problematic since Iyanden may often have as few as 2 troops selections

Kill maim burn.... provided you have gotten rid of a couple of the enemy troop selections Contesting a couple of objectives and owning 2 is going to make for a solid victory. Warwalkers scouting on the flanks might be very useful for slow armies as they can come on in the enemy's deployment zone and they can help to contest. Personally I'd opt for shurricannons if your going to use them to bait the enemy however as range isn't going to be problematic. A cheap squad of guardian jet bikes might also be an option.

Wraithlords

Were they ever viable? there great at low points. But they provide little fire support and are rubbish in CC. They use the your a noob tactic of look at this... ohhh it's really going to hurt you..... the only option i can see for them is Shuricannon, scatter, twin flamer. Even then there are better things for less points that can do a lot more.

You can use the guard to keep powerfists off of the lord

No you can't Ic's still fight independently even if attached to a squad. they can be picked on just as much as in the last edition.

Jain Zar can actually help the guard squad in cc since one power works on the enemy rather than her squad.

I was thinking kanadras was going to become king of the Phoenix lords... But zar is got the crown. 5 st 6 power weapon attacks at init 7 means she strikes in a different init step to an exarch... so thats 5 wounds that won't be getting torrented and will be hitting before the opponent.  asurmen in a squad of warlocks with a farseer could also be interesting.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:43:47 PM by nesbitt_bub1 »

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 08:11:58 AM »
No you can't Ic's still fight independently even if attached to a squad. they can be picked on just as much as in the last edition.

If the guard are in BTB with the fist and the lord isn't, then the fist has to attack the guard.  That is how the guard can fend the fists off of the guard.

--

At my LGS's midnight madness 5th edition kickoff, I tried out Jain Zar attached to some guard.  My thought that a phoenix lord attached to the guard would be very useful seemed to by pretty accurate.  One thing I hadn't really thought about is that the changes to wound allocation allow you to put the wounds on the phoenix lord when it would be helpful.  I think I will pretty much always put the first wound on the PL since a rerollable 2+ is a thing of beauty.  The guard are dead hard alread and the lord will make them even more so.  One thing that will be cool is putting one of the wounds from a battlecannon on the PL since it can still get the armor save.

Offline Sapphon

• Infinity Circuit
  • No quantity of firepower matches my arrogance
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »
I must disagree with your assessment of the 5th ed. Fire Prism as support for Wraithguard-heavy armies.

Fire Prisms are now very inaccurate, with only a 44.44% chance of a direct hit on the target point.  Perhaps more relevant to the Iyanden army is the 12" range of the Wraithcannon coupled with the possible 8" scatter of an S9 AP2 blast.  I don't want to suggest that you would hit yourself often, but doing it even once would be enough to dissuade me.

They suffer from the same problems as they did in 4th edition in terms of weapon-destroyed results.  On the bright side, they can now be fielded for 150 points with some confidence, as they are far more durable sitting still in a forest now than they are firing on the move.

In terms of what other armies can get for 150 points in the same slot, or even what we Eldar can get, though, it suffers.  Plunking a 3-las Predator in woods is always going to be a much better move than a holoPrism in woods, and with our proud tanks reduced to mon-keigh fighting methods in order to be effective, that is a rough deal.  150 points will also get you multiple cover-save-ignoring small templates from our Dark Reaper friends, mitigating blast weapons' new lack of accuracy in a way the FP cannot.  'Well, take both!' you say - nice thought, but Iyanden is often hard-up for Heavy slots due to the fluff requirement many of us still stick to that we take Wraithlords.

In addition, Wraithguard can handle 'ard stuff and Wraithlords can flame little stuff.  However, they are required to work together and cannot stray far from one another in order to remain most effective.  When I think of heavies for such a force, I think of independent units that do not require support from the rest of the army to be effective, as a Fire Prism would if threatened by infiltrators, since it cannot be relied upon to hit its attackers in the short term (1 turn of firing).  I think of 120 points of Shuricannon War Walkers taking the field from the short board edges and selecting targets of opportunity.  Disposable units certainly don't require support =)
"I personally don't use Guardians at all...there's something about 500 year old artists dying en masse I find distressing."

-Lascidel

Instead of tallying my wins and losses and posting them here, I instead took the total W/L/D's from all of the 40KO signatures in existence and put them here.  Enjoy!

W: 6296540262043640254 592655492524
D: 100
L: 4

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:01:08 AM »
   Take all of this with a grain of salt, since I played only one 5th ed game so far.

Now, I believe that Wraithlords are far more resilient for one thing, with easy 4+ Cover saves everywhere, so they may not be that usefull when it comes to damage delivery but they were already a pain to get rid off when in 5+ Cover...
   Also, just walking them behind the Wraithguard will give them that 4+ save against low AP, so hail for the mobile cover. It also have the side effect to negates the need of babysitting.

I agree for the Fire Dragons: They were already a bit better before but they really shine now with their Melta weapons, + Tank Hunter, + Crack shot.
   The one usefullness of Wraithguard over transported Dragons is still the same: Extreme resilience, which is even better now since the Serpent will/can give a 4+ Cover Save, so no need to Conceal at all, so Enhance or  Destructor for the win.
   Also, against most vehicles Wraithguard STR 5 attacks, coupled with the Warlock's Witchblade is plain cruel and shouldn't be underestimated, especially if there's a Walker out there.

About HQs: Sure PLs and Yriel really shines out, but did you take into account the use of a cheap Powersword wielding Autarch? Of course we talk Doom to give him some effectiveness, but as a cheap HQ AND a bearer of Grenades he shouldn't be underestimated as a choice.

Also, a WG unit advancing on the battlefield can give a generic Autarch  with Fusion Gun/Powersword and SH Wings an excellent platform to go solo hunting when opportunity arises, especially as transport hunting, where you can detach the IC to kill that Rhino/LR and force these Fearless Termies to come out in the face of Wraithcannon death.

I'll playtest that one this week and give you some comeback.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »
The dragons breath flamer is possibly there best weapon choice now. Even tho crack shot is only half as effective with the flamer as you only really see the re-rolls benefit. It does mean you can use doom somewhere else. And effectively use a 4 man + flamer squad as a tactical squad for killing scouts.

In 4th I really liked DBF, but in 5th the pike with crack shot is really the way to go.  AP1 is really important so you can destroy on 4s instead of 5s and the ability to ignore cover is huge.  Tanks are going to be using cover a lot and ignoring cover makes it much easier to take them down.  Other stuff (warlocks with destructors) can do the flaming.  5th really makes dragons stand out above and beyond everything else when it comes to ranged anti-tank power.

the guard need to be in a unit of 10 to be troops...

Not a problem for Iyanden armies.  The 10 guard troop choice is sort of the core of the army.  Unless playing a small game, Iyanden will likely have at least 1 if not 2 of these monster squads available to hold objectives.

Don't bet on it. Going to ground in the open at an objective will grant a 4+ cover save.

One way that you can ensure that you get the cover save is to string the squad out a bit.  Have a line of guard long enough to have a model able to control the objective and put the rest of the squad in cover.  As long as 1/2 of them are in cover, the whole squad gets the save.  Now you can go to ground while controlling an objective that is in the open and get a 3+ cover save for the squad which is by the why probably rerollable thanks to the attached fortuneseer.  With just 3 models out of cover, and the rest of squad in cover, you can use cover 15" from the objective while still controlling it--6" from objective, 1" base, 2" space, 1" base, 2" space, 1" base, 2" space, rest of squad in cover.

Were they ever viable? there great at low points. But they provide little fire support and are rubbish in CC. They use the your a noob tactic of look at this... ohhh it's really going to hurt you..... the only option i can see for them is Shuricannon, scatter, twin flamer. Even then there are better things for less points that can do a lot more.

Keep in mind that this thread is about Iyanden and wraithlords are one of the key Iyanden units.  5th really has only done good things for them.  They can get cover saves from the guard in front of them.  Rending isn't quite as big a threat as it was.  They can run.  For 100 points you can have a lord with sword running along with the guard and giving an added boost in cc.  Make sure the guard are in contact with the powerfist and the lord is in contact with normal model and he can't be hurt while he steadily adds 1 or 2 kills for the eldar combat res score. 

I really think the guard will be running the first 1 or 2 turns and if the lord is supporting them in cc, then he doesn't need to do any ranged shooting.  He will just run along with them.  Once the guard are in range to fire, the lord can stop running and throw a few shots down range.  I like the shuriken cannon because it is so cheap and if you only fire once or twice, why spend a bunch of points to do so.

I am not a big fan of lords (I didn't really like them in 3rd when they were supposed to be so uber), but I think 5th will be better for them than 4th was.

I must disagree with your assessment of the 5th ed. Fire Prism as support for Wraithguard-heavy armies.

Fire Prisms are now very inaccurate, with only a 44.44% chance of a direct hit on the target point.  Perhaps more relevant to the Iyanden army is the 12" range of the Wraithcannon coupled with the possible 8" scatter of an S9 AP2 blast.  I don't want to suggest that you would hit yourself often, but doing it even once would be enough to dissuade me.

Who cares if you get a direct hit on the target?  The new blast rules (particularly no partials) makes up for this.  Fire the prism into the midst of a large group and at times it can be litterally impossible to miss.  Most of the time you scatter 3" or less if you scatter at all.  That scatter should still be hitting someting in the target squad. 

The prism isn't really meant to hunt tanks.  It can do that, but blasts have always been designed to take out troops, not vehicles.  Large numbers of troops also happen to be one thing that guard aren't very good at dealing with since they don't have a high volume of fire or a large number of cc attacks.  The guard also can't do anything to troops in the first couple turns because of their short ranged guns.  The prism can reach out and touch stuff early and deal with large numbers.  Both those things compensate for weaknesses of the guard.  Let the guard handle the tanks, the prisms can go after the troops.

Also, if the prism lasts, it has the speed to get somewhere it needs to be to contest objectives.  Support platforms and reapers are useless for this.  Walkers can do it, unless they scout in from the wrong edge in which case you'll get their shooting but may have to forget about objectives.  Falcons have the speed like prisms, but lack the range and blasts which make the prism so useful.

Prisms can ram if need be.  Falcons can as well, but the other heavy choices won't help there.

Certainly the Prisms are not terribly durable particular without fields, but if you are careful to select the right targets and limit incoming fire lanes, they do quite well.  Mine don't often get shaken much less destroyed.  2 10 man wraithguard squads running at your lines tends to draw a lot of fire.

I think of 120 points of Shuricannon War Walkers taking the field from the short board edges and selecting targets of opportunity.  Disposable units certainly don't require support =)

I do like the warwalkers too.  That potential to be sent in from the wrong board edge disturbs me though.  Anyway, nothing says you can't have walkers and a prism or two.  This gives a nice bit of variety.

Also, a WG unit advancing on the battlefield can give a generic Autarch  with Fusion Gun/Powersword and SH Wings an excellent platform to go solo hunting when opportunity arises, especially as transport hunting, where you can detach the IC to kill that Rhino/LR and force these Fearless Termies to come out in the face of Wraithcannon death.

Good point.  I never saw the point of a winged or warp spider pack autarch before.  Jetbike is the way to go, but he would actually be quite useful in this situation, quite a bit cheaper and would give that nice reserve bonus.

--

It is interesting that in 4th I often found it was better to put my guard in cc, than to stand around shooting.  You get more attacks per turn in cc since you can attack in both your turn and the enemy turn.  Very few squads have adequate tools to deal any serious damage to the guard in cc.  Even a power fist doesn't help much--it'll only kill 2 or 3 per turn if rolling well.  My guard squads would rarely lose more than 3 models and more often than not would only lose one or two.

They are even harder to kill now since rending is nerfed a bit and so are powerfists, but have lost none of their own effectiveness.  This means fewer die each round.  One or two power weapons in the squad, plus the squad's own attacks should allow the guard to win cc most of the time and probably do so by 4 or more wounds.  This means LD10 is testing on a 6 to not run, and fearless units are taking 4 saves for not running.  That mean a lot more kills with combat res.

Guard, I think are going to be significantly more deadly in cc.  Enhance has them striking first and hitting on 3s against most enemies.  Run gets them there faster.  The strong support they need can hide in the squad.  Wraithlords are better equipped to support them.  Charge in, kill stuff, end up standing in the open an laugh as the enemy futilely attempts to shoot them before you rinse and repeat.

Offline TehTmn8r

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
(Geography sidetrack) I love how the author thinks that Nz/Aus is behind him. Must be an american... Nz/Aus sees the day b4 anyone else, lol.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »
Sorry, you are mistaken.  I wrote that late on the 11th in my area, and said that Nz/Aus would be starting to wake up on the morning of the 12th--a night ahead of me. ;)