News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: PoC: Iyanden - the Ghost Warriors  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
PoC: Iyanden - the Ghost Warriors
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »
    Your footsteps echo as you pass along the crystalline bridge. It sparkles in the starlight, reflected radiance gently twinkling in the cavernous chamber. Not a sound mars the still beauty of the moment, until the serenity is broken by another step. The wind created by your passage swirls in your wake, mingling with the flow of air from the craftworld’s recirculation systems. Once you leave here, the momentary discordance will fade away and the hall will be empty once more. The craftworld will live still, but for whom?
    You shake off these despondent thoughts as you reach the end of this stage of the journey, and enter the Dome of Crystal Seers itself. Here, ancient and sacred trees send probing fronds above, biological memory telling them to reach for a sky that does not exist in space. Through the branches, you see the motionless silhouette of a farseer. He will not move – he has not for centuries, his body slowly transmuted to stone over a lifetime of drawing upon fell energies.
    Leaving him in respectful peace, you continue through to the inner chambers, slowly, careful to avoid treading on the spirit stones set in the Dome’s floor. There are too many now, each one representing the departed soul of a brave eldar of Iyanden. It is for them that you and every other survivor must continue to survive, for the galaxy cannot afford to lose a place of such sublime transcendence as the craftworld.
    The others are already present, each bearing a translucent waystone. They glow with an inner radiance, and flicker in recognition as you raise the stone in your own hands. No words need to be said, each eldar’s imperceptible psychic aura in tune with your own, telling you all that you need to know. In perfect synchronicity, each eldar in the circle lowers their waystone into the circuit node, communing with the beloved ancestors.
    In but a moment, it is done, and you raise your head, leaving the cool tranquillity of the Infinity Circuit and tearing yourself back to reality. However painful it may be for you, though, you know that it is a thousand times worse for the warrior whose soul you have just conjured back from beyond. You offer a short prayer that this were not necessary and join the procession of seers leaving the chamber.
    You know your wraith well. Over centuries of service, you have come to recognise its wraithbone form, its subtle imperfections, its strengths, patterns, and you can even feel the residual memories of those who have overseen it before. Reverently, you place the waystone within its armoured shell.
    As it comes to life, blind eyes focusing anew, you feel a momentary twinge of pity for those poor fools who must stand in its way.

As that rather verbose introduction hopefully illustrated, this topic is for the Iyanden Path of Command. Here, all members of the Iyanden community will be able to discuss Iyanden-related issues.

For reference, here is a list of all current members of Iyanden and their ranks.
Irandrura (Autarch)
BrathaLir (Wraithguard)
cabie22 (unranked)
kyle vp (unranked)
Mellchia (unranked)
f.desrochers (unranked)
Starrakatt, the left hand of Khaine (unranked)
BloatedToad (unranked)
Zizada (unranked)
Eothen (unranked)

IMPORTANT MESSAGE - Due to life problems and general lack of commitment, as stated here I am looking to resign as Iyanden Autarch and hand over the position to someone better able to fill it. If you think this could be you, please message me and Roy about it. After all, Iyanden deserves better.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:13:24 AM by Irandrura »
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
Re: PoC: Iyanden - the Ghost Warriors
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:53:18 PM »
Here's the list of other people who indicated support for Iyanden in the original Join a Craftworld thread.

Naikee-of the hidden sand village
Munenori
BrathaLir
Wraithlord Saunders
The Vanquisher
Eothen
Deathboon
Valar
Warlock Razzorick
cionnaith

Hopefully that helps you get things going.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:05:16 PM »
I've sent out some messages to try and chase them down, but thanks for the reminder Xodiac. So far cabie22 and kyle vp have indicated interest, but not everyone on the list is still going to be interested. If they still are, then then post, please.

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »
Good to see the Iyanden thread up and running. :)

Offline Mellchia

• The flame of glory can never be held for too long.
    • EldarWeb
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:14:34 AM »
I'm switching (back?) to Iyanden, since my force has radically changed since playtesting.

Cheers.

Edit: I can do tactica, fluff, battle reps, and even Iyanden specific campaigns. Just let me know what people would want and who is working what I guess...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:14:47 AM by Mellchia »

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:28:38 AM »
Count me in! I've been playing Iyanden-style lists since before Craftworld Codex was released.

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline BrathaLir

• Infinity Circuit
  • Glory is akin to a rose: grasp and you will bleed.
  • Armies: Iyanden Spirit Host
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
I am in, in case my PM didn't go through.  Do we have a list of topics, etc.?  I would like to suggest a section/topic on Xenos Relations.  In the fluff, Iyanden is one of the more hospitable Craftworlds (i.e. they may not kill non-Eldar on sight), and indeed, at least one inquisitor [Czevak? see Codex Eldar 3rd ed.] has been a guest for an extended period of time.  In any case, we should probably have a brief rundown on how each Xenos race [humanity] and subrace [space marine] is viewed by our "community".  This might be best edited by people that are familiar with Black Library books, but obviously would be open to anyone in the community.

I can start with a quick run down.  Please expand as needed:

Humanity (general):
   space marines (all branches):
   sisters/witch-hunters:
   imperial guard and navy:
   inquisitors:
Tau:
Kroot:
Eldar (general, by craftworld):
Dark Eldar:
Orcs (general):
   waaagh! fleets:
   pirates:
Others (Hrud, Squats, etc.):

Note: Necrontyr, Tyranids, and Chaos are NOT included, as there can be no quarter with any of these forces!

"Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin..."

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
   Count me in!
   I've been playing Iyanden as the Silver Ghosts strike force for years now and as I came back in the hobby only some time ago, I find that that thread come as small blessing for the ghost Craftworld.
   I don't know if I'll be able to contribute much tough, between my work, my wife and my sons, I have a somewhat busy life right now! :D But I'll  do what I can!

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline BloatedToad

• RIGHT CLAW SOUTH!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:01 PM »
I'll pretty much echo what Starrakatt said, I'm an Iyanden old timer, and while I certainly don't get to play 40k half as much as I might like I would love to contribute whatever I can.
The blood drive is nothing but a pyramid scheme set up by Dracula and his evil minions.  The Bus of the Undead is likely involved as well............

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
Okay, the names have been added to the list. All unranked at the moment... hm, ought to talk to Roy about ranking some time soon. In any case, it's good to see our numbers increase.

Quote from: BrathaLir
I am in, in case my PM didn't go through.  Do we have a list of topics, etc.?

Not at the moment, but we could create one. We're all on a level playing field for now - I don't have any great secrets, so I'm open to any ideas.

I would like to suggest a section/topic on Xenos Relations.  In the fluff, Iyanden is one of the more hospitable Craftworlds (i.e. they may not kill non-Eldar on sight), and indeed, at least one inquisitor [Czevak? see Codex Eldar 3rd ed.] has been a guest for an extended period of time.  In any case, we should probably have a brief rundown on how each Xenos race [humanity] and subrace [space marine] is viewed by our "community".  This might be best edited by people that are familiar with Black Library books, but obviously would be open to anyone in the community.

From memory, I don't think there are any BL books that deal with Iyanden specifically. Ulthwé seems very popular for writers, but not us. Can't imagine why. ;) In addition to Czevak, Ieldan Soecr springs to mind as the only other human to have gone to Iyanden. (For those not in the know, there are a few extracts from a book by Soecr called How I Visited Craftworld Iyanden and Lived in the 3rd edition codices.) He mentions that he lived among the Eldar for months, learning their culture, and though his guides didn't much like answering questions, they did do so. The attitude seems to be more a veiled contempt for humans than the outright scorn of some others. There is a piece of 2nd edition fiction from the perspective of Farseer Kelmon of Iyanden that mentions the Craftworld travelling to a human world for purposes of trade, and Yriel, of course, was not averse to working for or with humans during his time as a pirate, and is noted for not indulging in the sort of slaughter other Pirate Princes did, indicating that he has at least some respect for human life. I agree, from the evidence it seems that Iyanden is a relatively tolerant Craftworld, as indeed it must be given its rather desperate circumstances.

Anyway, that's an interesting idea. What sort of thing do you mean more specifically? A community article? That sort of thing would best be done on the project board, but we can discuss it here. My initial thoughts on the various groups you mention...

Humanity (general)

There are still overtones of racial superiority, but the Eldar of Iyanden seem more inclined to deal with humans, instead of kill or manipulate them. Trade, military alliance, even letting humans reside on the Craftworld itself for extended periods... I think there is a respect for humanity there. Perhaps the battle against the Tyranids would make Iyanden more inclined to respect humans for their valiant efforts fighting against that same foe. The enemy of my enemy and all that.

space marines (all branches)

Space Marines aren't renowned as the most reasonable of Imperial factions. I think Iyanden would give the more militantly anti-xenos parts of the Imperium a wide berth while encouraging interaction with moderates. Space Marines are more likely to fall into the former category, I'd think.

sisters/witch-hunters

Probably not all that good again, the Adepta Sororitas being as fanatical as the Astartes. That, and I can't think what business Iyanden would have with them.

imperial guard and navy

It would depend on regiment and world in question, of course, but on the whole relations with these groups would likely be better. Not all of the Guard is averse to cooperating with xenos if it should become necessary, so they could become allies, albeit uncomfortable ones, against a greater foe such as the Tyranids or Chaos.

The Navy, on the other hand... the Navy doesn't seem too bothered about the prospect of working with Eldar (e.g. Gothic War), and various Pirate Princes have had profitable dealings with the Navy in the past. Yriel is a good bridge between the Craftworld and the various Imperial factions he dealt with during his exile.

inquisitors

It all depends on the individual, doesn't it? They were happy to spend some time with Czevak, and other inquisitors (e.g. Gideon Ravenor, Jena Orechiel) have interacted with Eldar quite peacefully before. Still, Monodominants and their ilk definitely would not be getting along with Iyanden.

Tau

Pretty friendly, I'd think. The Tau have no aversion to trading or working with aliens, and that's exactly what Iyanden needs at the moment. Any friends will do, and since conveniently Iyanden is in the Eastern Fringe, relatively near to the Tau Empire, they should get along wonderfully.

Kroot

I hardly think Iyanden is going to be averse to mercenaries! They need all the help they can get, so provided the Kroot curb their more cannibalistic tendencies when it comes to dead Eldar, Iyanden could be a reliable employer.

Eldar (general, by craftworld)

Perhaps some bitterness at the other Craftworlds for not coming to their aid, do you think? A sort of sense that they've gone and fought and bled for their right to survive, and that consequently the other Craftworlds don't have much right to come making demands or acting superior. In specifics, I don't think they'd much approve of the aggressive xenophobia that characterises Biel-Tan, the puritanism of Alaitoc, or the brash pride of Saim-Hann, viewing those things as foolish, but relations with, say, Ulthwé should be better.

Dark Eldar

Craftworld Eldar aren't renowned for their good relations with the Dark Kin... I'd imagine a fairly orthodox sort of attitude towards the Dark Eldar; that is to say, unrelenting hatred.

Orcs (general):
   waaagh! fleets:
   pirates:

Erm... how much does anyone like Orks? I'm not so sure they can restrain their destructive urges enough to have peaceful dealings with Iyanden, aave the occasional Blood Axe mercenary group.

Others (Hrud, Squats, etc.)

The Demiurg might make fine allies for Iyanden. They're willing to work as mercenaries, are fairly peaceful, and quite amenable to trade. Their strong sense of honour should help as well. Still, for minor xenos races it really depends on the race in question.

Offline cabie22 (Thread-Jacker)

• i can ride my bike with no handlebars
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 03:23:24 AM »
im definatly in, i just have a few questions:
Is this system akin to the IG chain of command?
what would being a part of craftworld iyanden entail?
does the job fall upon ourselves to create iyanden tactica articles?
what exactly is the aim of the creation of this group; is it just to have a more tightly knit Iyanden community?

whatever the answers are, i would like to take part.  hopefully this will rekindle my interest in eldar and iyanden, as my third edition army list is no longer usable with the fourth edition codex.  I havent even had the heart to buy the new codex yet!!!  ill have to pick one up soon.
I wish i had some wraithbone

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 04:34:43 AM »
Is this system akin to the IG chain of command?

More or less. The idea is to reward good posting and encourage some community. Roy's overview topic and the links there are required reading, pretty much.

what would being a part of craftworld iyanden entail?

It's not a dictatorship, you're not being set any duties that you must fulfill. Contributing to community articles would be a good start, so if you're interested in what BrathaLir's saying about xenos relations then please, join the discussion. That's a more background-related thing, which I am personally more interested in, but if you have anything to contribute regarding modelling, painting, or gaming with Iyanden forces, we need to have those as well. It's purely voluntary though, so there is no compulsion. Well, not much of one, anyway. :D

does the job fall upon ourselves to create iyanden tactica articles?

If you like, that would be a great thing to work on. If you have access to the Project Boards, we need things like that.

what exactly is the aim of the creation of this group; is it just to have a more tightly knit Iyanden community?

In essence, yes.

Offline Zizada

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »
I would like to join the ranks of Iyanden.  I have always had a soft spot for them and regularly used a Ghost Army even back in the days of 2nd!  Nothing better than a few squads of Wraith Guard and a couple of Dreadnaughts (Wraithlords for you young'uns!) to beat the enemy with!

I am willing to help out as best i can but again sadly life intrudes far too often for my liking so any big projects would be intermittent.

I would also like to ask that as a new comer to the forum that the first time any abbreviations are used in the post that the FULL NAME is used with the abbreviation in brackets and after that feel free to use the abbreviation, Wraithguard (WG), Wraithlord (WL) etc.  Some of the stuff i have no clue as to whats being said because people take it for granted that the rest of us know what those few letters mean.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 02:01:19 PM »
   On the threads topic, will there be specific ones for batrep, conversion or fluff?  Do we throw all our Iyanden related stuff in an Iyanden thread in the Eldar Project forum?

Or do we post all these things on their specific board, ie: batrep in the Campaign and Battle Reports board, Wraithguard modelling in the Conversion board or Iyanden Tacticas in Eldar Tactic, Startegy & Army Lists, ect?

More specifically, who do we contact regarding submiting Iyanden Tactica or Fluff articles?

I ask this because there are Iyanden threads already started all around and it would be best if they could be compiled or linked toghether.

Starky

(Or maybe I should read the stickies and post where they say to post and don't ask stupid questions :P)

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »
   On the threads topic, will there be specific ones for batrep, conversion or fluff?  Do we throw all our Iyanden related stuff in an Iyanden thread in the Eldar Project forum?

Probably best only to post in the discussion topic (the one on the Project Board, not this one) for now, in the brainstorming phase. When it gets towards actually drafting an article for submission, it would most likely need a topic, but at the moment, just take ideas to the discussion topic there.

Or do we post all these things on their specific board, ie: batrep in the Campaign and Battle Reports board, Wraithguard modelling in the Conversion board or Iyanden Tacticas in Eldar Tactic, Startegy & Army Lists, ect?

The Project Board is for articles and other submissions, the others aren't so much. Use your best judgement as to where it should go.

More specifically, who do we contact regarding submiting Iyanden Tactica or Fluff articles?

Once again, that's what we're working out on the Project. That's the place to post if you want submissions to be seen, discussed, etc..

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:53:27 AM »
   Ok then, thanks for answering. I will look around and see what I can do.

Starky

Yes you are being dense.

Offline Eothen

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
Sweet to se some action again. It sure looked bleak during christmas when it looked like I was the only Iyanden left on the board. Ive had a brief vacation from this forum (to concentrate on my studies, but now Im back again.

Starky asked about my banner (werry nicely), and if there is anyone that whant to use it, they are welcome to do so. Im aware about that they arnt the nicest one done... but I put alot of love in making them :)

They are available in two different colours (sort of). Ive done them myself, but the images are not drawn by me. The WG is from old WG concept art in a WD and the Iyanden symbol is stolen from somewhere on the web. The text is all mine, including the weird quote (inspired from the text in codex eldar about Iyanden) :P

enjoy!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/Iyandenbanner2.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/Iyandenbanner3-1.jpg

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 12:38:16 PM by Eothen »

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:42 PM »
I just posted a few articles into the Projects board - I'd like to get your opinions on the analysis of the Army Characteristics, Iyanden-common Units, as well as the overview of the supporting units (read: every unit in the codex).

It's under Topic: Ghost armies of the Iyanden craft world - 4th editioin

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline Mellchia

• The flame of glory can never be held for too long.
    • EldarWeb
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 12:14:34 PM »
Francois,

I'll post it here
Great looking reviews, well thought through and detailed. Especially:
1. In depth analysis of the core units for Iyanden themed armies.
2. In depth analysis of the support. It was clear which one were winners and you attempted to put everything in line.

Except I have to disagree with a lot you said. I'll post a counter-balance article when I get a chance.

Somethings in particular:
Gone are the days of Mech-Iyanden - I'll be talking about how to make a Mech Iyanden list.
Different unit assessments, specifically the duplication scores. I found that the scores were somewhat arbitrary, not taking into account strategies used either. But I'll go through my own, I suppose. In fact, the duplication scores penalized certain worthwhile strategies (fielding an Avatar with Wraithlords, for example), while not taking into account vesitality.

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 12:37:25 PM »
Except I have to disagree with a lot you said. I'll post a counter-balance article when I get a chance.

Hehehe, I figured somewhere aloing the line someone would. That's the point of the thread!

Gone are the days of Mech-Iyanden - I'll be talking about how to make a Mech Iyanden list.

Although I made a somewhat overly simplified statement, I don't discount mech-Iyanden. It is just incredibly difficult to accomplish in 1700 points (easier in 1850-2000) without really cutting down on the "more efective" supporting unit options available.

I found that the scores were somewhat arbitrary, not taking into account strategies used either.

<shrug> I had to start somewhere. Again, not something to be taken as gospel - more of a primer. The duplication scores are there to demonstrate the force multiplier effect lost by including the unit versus some of the others. That said, I fully admit players will place what units they want into their list. The analysis is there to demonstrate how the units fit based on the Iyanden Army Characteristics review.

In fact, the duplication scores penalized certain worthwhile strategies (fielding an Avatar with Wraithlords, for example), while not taking into account vesitality.

Strategies aside, see previous paragraph. I fully concede that Avatars have a place in Iyanden armies, more so in larger battles. The problem with the Avatar is that you now have (most likely) 3, maybe four monstrous creatures. With no option for wings (read: Tyrants), this severely limits the mobility of the army. Dependant on the other choices you field, this may not be as big an issue.

The Duplication Error is precisely meant to reflect the versatility lost through selection of the unit, the role it fills, the points it costs (note: at full squad size) and whether it fills a gap as introduced in Iyanden's characteristics.

I look forward to your reviews!

;francois

;f.desrochers