News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your Thoughts.  (Read 8006 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Britsh Police Force. Your Thoughts
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2006, 02:21:24 PM »
Which, on a broader riff in an attempt to get back to a semblance of on-topic, is a demonstration that the police force of any area has certain unavoidable limitations on their actions, and using these as a reason to accuse them of incompetence is a little OTT.

Indeed. Which was why I asked whether this was a local or widespread ruling. Three offences seems absurd considering this was a home invasion. I suspect there may be more behind the event. Such as perhaps this family has a history of calling for the police and thus they do not respond with any swiftness?

Edit - Now, this one is so bizare as to be funny. Police swoop in to protect kitten! Linky - Yes, it's the Sun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 03:15:20 PM by Judge O'Rum »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
  • Let Slip The Dogs Of War
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 04:34:25 PM »
Since Los Angeles, New York, and Florida were mentioned. Are you talking about the City of Los Angeles or the county? New York City or New York State? You throw Florida in there, which as a state, makes the other two ambiguous. Next would be how are you basing this information. Primarily on response time from an emergency call, case closure rate, crime per capita?

As an aside, the LAPD (city) does not have a very good reputation. Brutality, corruption, racism, all the standards are there. NYPD have pulled themselves up and certainly have a better reputation than even ten years ago. Florida is too large to comment on at this time.

Never mind I was using the states as an example Its the British Police that have annouyed me with their policies and the way they seem to think its ok to attack a person in their home or on the street three or more times before acting on it.

OK so they will be good points across the island about the police force but certainly not in the east and certainly not in Hull.

~Raven.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 04:58:55 PM »
HR, that's the third time I've a resembling post from you in a different position. Are you deleting your former post and then adding it in at the end each time after an edit?
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 05:18:41 PM »
You use a case studying to degrade the entire force?  You need more than that before you can start labelling them a failure.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »
I go by what I have seen in the past 3 years. And I asure you I have seen more failure than this incident.
The trouble is in Hull the police don't even go out to certain council estates. In which case begs the question why do we Britts pay our taxes. Well the Humberside police force i guess i can't comment about the rest of the United Kingdom. But Humberside I can and I assure you they are useless. If you dial 999 after 9pm and ask for the police force you get put on hold. ( Thats good if yours or someone elses life is in danger.)

I have lost all respect in the British Humberside police literally.

~Raven.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »
If you dial 999 after 9pm and ask for the police force you get put on hold. ( Thats good if yours or someone elses life is in danger.)

That's not too surprising. With the advent of centralised call centers being put on hold for a 999/911/111 call is more common than not. Hold times may range longer than 10-15 minutes depending on the day and time. Using a recent example in Las Vegas as an example - reporting a house fire took over 12 minutes from dialing to reporting the details. Do have you evidence that this hold time is merely for your area or for the region as a whole?
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2006, 05:35:59 PM »
I have lost all respect in the British Humberside police literally.

I hadn't noticed.  ::)

If you're talking about council estates the likelihood is that most Brits in those locations don't pay their taxes.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »
If you're talking about council estates the likelihood is that most Brits in those locations don't pay their taxes.

LOL I'll give you that.
Hull has the biggest council estate in the UK. But then again hull also has the reputation for been the worst town to live in. It has the biggest rate of crimes of violence in the UK. which would suggest that the police should be better at their jobs.
Infact on Hulls look north news the humberside police was reported for failing the public on every level.
Hull now has community wardens partoling the streets (Council Estates) Yet they have very little powers. (Mostly advice is all they can offer.)

I have to damit the time has come for me to move and leave this place. easier said than done sometimes But I have seen far too much failure.

Do have you evidence that this hold time is merely for your area or for the region as a whole?

Every person I've spoke to from Hull and Hulls personal forums has said the same.
I'm sure google.co.uk will have something somewhere.

But its not good to be put on hold. what if your reporting someone been beaten up or a robbery.
Theres no wonder that there are more robberies and beatings in Hull with a 999 service that puts you on hold the moment you ask for the police.

~Raven.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »

LOL I'll give you that.
Hull has the biggest council estate in the UK. But then again hull also has the reputation for been the worst town to live in. It has the biggest rate of crimes of violence in the UK. which would suggest that the police should be better at their jobs.

To me it suggests that police in Hull are likely to have a difficult time of things at the best of times, and that they will struggle to recruit competent officers because of the unpleasant feelings about the force in the local area.

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2006, 06:00:02 PM »
To me it suggests that police in Hull are likely to have a difficult time of things at the best of times, and that they will struggle to recruit competent officers because of the unpleasant feelings about the force in the local area.

Well thats certainly a thought thats for sure.
But I just can't seem to comprehend why the Police seem to let a person cross the fresh hold of someones doorway and assault that person then walk away.
And when queried with the police their exact comments are. "What do you want me to do about it."
They then continue by saying. "We have a procedure and until it happens on three or more seperate occasions then we will send out an officer."
Come on. Thats not right is it.

~Raven.

• Ancient
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »
You want the rozzers to be sent out every time a cat gets into somebody's house? I'm not saying it's the best situation but if they're understaffed and overworked they can't afford to pop out at every little thing that goes on. And in such a situation don't blame them, blame their lack of funding.

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
They get funded very well. Last year their chief was up for corruption but because half the humberside police force where as corrupt as he was. He was only told to retire and he did. Yet the new chief is just as useless. I can understand them not been able to come out to every call made. BUT in the case of assault I do think they should come out and deal with it. three seperate times could mean some one been stabbed.

Or the victim taking the law into their own hands and in this town that does happen regularily. Many of Hulls inhabitants have lost faith in the humberside police.

The reputation of this police force is bad. humberside police are nearly always under investigation yet they do nothing to better themselfs.

An assault on another human being is bad and no one has the right to go around assaulting other Human beings.

~Raven.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:12:16 PM by Hulls Raven »

• Ancient
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2006, 06:13:40 PM »
Bad reputation= understaffed, lack of motivation and bad work. Not absolving them of blame, merely rationalising it. And pointing out that it's not their fault, so I suppose yeah I am absolving them of blame, partially anyway

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »
Every person I've spoke to from Hull and Hulls personal forums has said the same.

Every person has called the emergency services or that every person who has called the emergency services has been put on hold? Remember - welcome to the future. Calling 911/999/111 means you'll probably be put on hold. This is not specific for Hull in any manner or means.

I'm sure google.co.uk will have something somewhere.

No. It is up to you to provide the evidence. Don't be lazy. It's like saying "Elvis is a alive, the evidence is on Google somewhere." Do the work.

But its not good to be put on hold. what if your reporting someone been beaten up or a robbery. 

Agreed. Yet it is going to happen. In such an instance dial the number and toss the phone to the side. The operator (eventually) will hear the commotion or at least send units to see what the matter is. Don't sit there with the phone at your ear if it's not going to help. Same with mobiles. Dial the number, stick it on mute and slide it back in your pocket. If you're in a hostile situation having the phone to your ear is not going to help. Let the emergency services find you.

Theres no wonder that there are more robberies and beatings in Hull with a 999 service that puts you on hold the moment you ask for the police.

More robberies and/or beatings in Hull compared to where? Put on hold compared to where?
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 06:24:28 PM »
Bad reputation= understaffed, lack of motivation and bad work. Not absolving them of blame, merely rationalising it. And pointing out that it's not their fault, so I suppose yeah I am absolving them of blame, partially anyway

Well If you lived in Hull you really would have the lack of faith the magority of us have.

There are so many too many incidents of their lack of responding. Just before christmas a pregnant woman was assaulted and left laid on the floor think she was having a miscarage while the thug that did this too her walked away scot free this poor woman spent two months in hospital until her baby was born premature. Not only that but the police did nothing whats so ever to follw it up even though they knew the thug.

A man was stabbed in the town centre late at night he manged to call an amberlance then the police on his phone. The ambalance turned up but there was no police. Nor did they turn up at the hospital until 48 hours later.

Need I go on.

@Judge O Rum (Or is it Barrel O Rum lol)
Everyone I've spoken too regarding an inncident of crime involving the law.
As for the evidence fair point I shall did it up.
As for been put on Hold ok its happening everywhere pretty much. Still it doesnt make it right.

As for more beatings crimes of violence and Robberies I meant to say Compared to everywhere in the UK Hull has by far the worst reputation of Crime compared to any other town in Great Britain.

Next in line is Manchester.

~Raven.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:30:18 PM by Hulls Raven »

• Ancient
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Put another way: if I lived in Hull I would be as biased as you are on this issue. Damn it, now I wish I lived in Hull

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »
Need I go on.

Actually, yes. You need to provide another reference than your own memory. Saying that this or that happened is all well and good but if you have no other reference how are we to judge the truth of the matter? Common on, show the pattern here.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »
Two incidents in the last 9 months doesn't seem that much of a big deal if you ask me. If these are the only examples of the poor standards of Humberside Police in addition to the one that you have already mentioned, I think it supports the case of these being isolated and uncommon occurences.

CM

Offline RAVEN KRW

• Abyss Lord
    • Ravenstone
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:13:54 PM by Hulls Raven »

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Re: Your Thoughts.
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 01:29:01 PM »
Thread locked at original poster's request.

*CLICK*

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?