News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Big Things Tournament; 3000pts; Phoenix Games in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
I think its time to see what everyone has in their closet that's been dying to cause destruction and mayhem on the battlefield.  This is the first in a series of events I hope to organize and run at Phoenix in the coming months. Each event will try and be a little different from the others in the series in order to keep things fresh. Some will focus more on Battle, some will focus more on Sportsmanship and yes...some will focus more on Fluff! Hope to see you all out for some fun.

Size:3000pts
Cost: $15  (Pizza is not provided with this. Bill has indicated he will try and organize a group pizza order for those interested on the day of the event)
Date: Saturday, February 15th
3 Rounds – 2hrs 30min per round
Sign-up:  Either post in this thread (if you have low post count please include your name)
          Or contact Phoenix Games & Hobbies directly during regular store hours to register.

Schedule:
Registration  8:30-9:00
Round 1: 9:15 – 11:45
Lunch: 11:45-12:30
Round 2: 12:30 – 3:00
Round 3: 3:15 – 5:45
Awards: 6:00-6:15

Allowed Rules:
All Standard 40k Codex
All 40K Codex Supplements (i.e. Iyanden, Farsight Enclaves)
All 40k Dataslates and Formations
40k Escalation, 40k Strong Point Assault
All Forgeworld Lords of War (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf)
Forgeworld Lists and Units (i.e. Eldar Corsairs from IA: XI Doom of Mymaera)

You must have a copy of all rules and books that you are using in your tournament force.  These rules must be made available to a judge or opponent upon request.
If you

List Composition:
1-2 Primary Detatchment*
0-2 Allied Detatchment†
0-1 Fortification
0-1   Lord of War‡
*Forgeworld Specialized lists and any specialized force organizations they present are allowed to replace Primary Detatchments.  Typically Forgeworld states a specific Codex that is required in the “Using the Army Lists” section of the Imperial Armor book. You may treat your allowable Allies and Lords of War as if you were using the stated Codex.   If your specialized list does not list a codex, please request a ruling of which allies and lords of war you are allowed to you.

† You may only choose 1 Ally. That Ally may occupy up to 2 Allied Detatchments.  Additionally, Forgeworld Specialized lists are not eligible to be chosen as Allied Detatchments.

‡ The Destroyer Weapon rules listed in 40k Escalation book will be replaced by the following profile: S10 AP1 Titan Killer
  The type of weapon (i.e. Hellstorm, Heavy 1 Blast, etc) does not change.

Titan Killer: These weapons remove D3 wounds/hull points for each wound/damage result that is applied, after any saves and/or Feel No Pain are resolved. 

Wound Example: A D weapon inflicts a Wound on a Wraithknight with a 5+ Cover save.  If the cover save is failed for the Wound, roll a D3 to determine the # of   
  wounds that the Wraithknight loses.

Damage Example: A D weapon inflicts a Penetrating Hit on a Ravager with a 5+ Invul Save. If the Invul save is failed for the Penetrating Hit, roll a D3 to
  determine the # of hull points lost.  You must still roll on the Damage Result table to determine the additional effects of the Penetrating Hit.

Scoring: 60% Battle, 20% Sportsmanship, 20% Painting

Missions:
Each mission will be a non-standard 40k mission.
Each game will begin with a setup procedure similar to a standard 40k game that is outlined in the mission package. Terrain is not fixed in location for the event to allow for fortification placement.  Fortifications will be placed first.  Each table will have a pre-determined set of terrain pieces which will be placed by a procedure described in the Setup section of the mission packet. 

Prizes:  Best Overall  - 30% of Entry Fees as Phoenix Games & Hobbies Gift Certificate
         Best General – 20% of Entry Fees as Phoenix Games & Hobbies Gift Certificate
         Best Sportsman – 20% of Entry Fees as Phoenix Games & Hobbies Gift Certificate
         Random Draw – 20% of Entry Fees as Phoenix Games & Hobbies Gift Certificate

Other Rulings: (Unless these are over ruled by an official FAQ prior to the event)
The Ignores Cover special rule will only remove cover saves for wounds. Ignores Cover will have no effect on saves taken by Vehicles.

Model Policy:
PAINTING IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT
1. All models must be fully assembled.
2. WYSIWIG is always in effect. All units must be easily identifiable. Standard weapon options should be apparent on the models, and all weapon/character upgrades   
   MUST be distinctly identifiable and be the appropriate weapon/item.
3. The models in the army can come from any model line. However, the models must adhere to the rest of the policy rules.
6. Scratch built models and conversions can be used, but must adhere to the following guidelines:
a. Models may NOT contain significant elements from pre-painted or preassembled toys
b. Models MUST be consistent with the look and feel of the game system
c. The size and shape of all modes must be appropriate to the game system. Models (ie vehicles) without a base should occupy roughly the same amount of psychical space as the standard model.
7. Counts-as armies are allowed at the event  as long as they follow all of the above rules and restrictions. It is the responsibility of the owning player to be prepared to alleviate any and all confusion that might result from using counts as models/armies. Counts as models MUST be WYSIWYG, appropriately equipped and sized to best represent the model/unit in question. Counts-as armies should demonstrate a reasonable effort when it comes to conversions, simply using an existing army with a different codex (as a proxy) is NOT allowed.
8. Please avoid creating armies that may be offensive to other participants or visitors. 

If you have any questions please let me know, and I will relay them on to the tournament organizer.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
I respect the responsibility you are undertaking by running such a large tournament and the progressive approach you have taken towards including both long frowned upon Forgeworld units/armies as well as the newer and more controversial releases by GW. That being said, I do have a comment to make on this:

Other Rulings: (Unless these are over ruled by an official FAQ prior to the event)
The Ignores Cover special rule will only remove cover saves for wounds. Ignores Cover will have no effect on saves taken by Vehicles.

I understand there has been considerable disagreement on this very topic and you have been heavily involved in that discussion. My input is that as per pg. 75 of the BRB second paragraph cover saves from 'obscuration' such as terrain and other models confer cover saves that are taken 'exactly like a non-vehicle model would do against a Wound'. However, Jink Saves confer cover saves from a different source and must be treated differently for vehicles.

Hence a closer to RAW ruling here would be:

"The Ignores Cover special rule will only remove cover saves for wounds or armour penetration rolls that recieve cover saves as if they are wounds (pg. 75, BRB). Ignores Cover will have no effect on Jink saves taken by Vehicles."

Will you consider this revision to your tournament ruling?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Caustic you have an account on the Phoenix forums, feel free to contact the tournament organizer (WhiteRaven) yourself if you plan on attending.  Personally, I would say no.  But the decision isn't mine to make.

I am not the one running it, I copy and pasted his post and made some minor alterations to make contacting him easier for the people of this community.

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...