News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: magnets  (Read 551 times)

Offline Hum

magnets
« on: January 9, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
Hi guys.

My army arrived in the mail at the beginning of the Christmas break, and I just finished painting my first crisis suit. I was wondering what you guys do to mount the weapons on it. Do you just glue them on, or use magnets, or what?

I'm thinking of using magnets so that I can easily switch between weapons. Do any of you know where I can get magnets that fit into the existing slots on the crisis suit? Any advice on this is welcome.

Offline Badb Catha

• My way isn't very sportsmanlike...
Re: magnets
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:34 AM »
The aptly named www.amazingmagnets. com is a good place to start.  I don't know if they have the exact size for crisis suits, but my Eldar and 'Nid buddies bought stuff from there and were happy with the result.  You buy magnets by measurements, so you can measure the holes where you'd put the weapons and order accordingly.  Also, if it's a little to big you can always open up the space a bit with a hobby knife. 

I tend to convert my suits and pose them according to their weapon loadout, which gives me a lot less flexibility, but I like the way the suits look better.  The problem my friends found with magnets is that it's the only part of a model that regularly comes under force, so you'll have to reglue the magnets back into place every now and again.  My Eldar buddy still swears by them, though.

Offline Hum

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 01:28:16 AM »
thanks

Offline Z3R0

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:41:35 AM »
On the subject of magnets, mine just came in the mail today from an online order.  I got some really strong, really small discs (should be good for my crisis suit arms).

However, I don't want to go magnet-magnet (I've heard some horror stories, and that would quadruple the amount of magnets, and thereby the cost as well, used).  However, I'm stuck on what to use as a material to make the magnets stick.  Should I just drill a screw into the arm?  Should I go buy a special kind of metal at the hardware store?  Is there a good thickness to work with?  Washers?

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with them, and I really want to model those suits as soon as possible.

Also, other than the weapons, are there any contact points that would be a good idea to magnetize?  I was thinking the torso so I could break it down smaller and pack it away?

And is there a good way to go about putting magnets in?  I saw a lot of the weapons would just pop onto and off of the arms.  I think the discs I got were a bit thick (1/4"x1/6") to go about doing that, but I may drill into the arm where I want the weapon to clip onto and put some metal contact on the gun?

Thanks!
Forget your past life.  From this day on you are simply a Dark Angel - nothing else is of consequence.  The Chapter is all that matters.

Offline EightyEight

• The Santa hat is here to stay.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 02:41:09 AM »
I'm also considering getting some of these magnets - I'm thinking the Q063B type could be quite useful (1/16" thick plates, 1/4" square). However, how easy are they to cut (maybe halve each plate, and they'd be almost the same size as the existing battlesuit weapon tabs). And, do they retain a useful amount of 'power' at such small sizes?
Are we as offensive as we might be?