News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: World of darkness  (Read 3183 times)

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
World of darkness
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
Anyone played this game? its a great break from 40k and WHFB. Although this may be the wrong forum. please move as appropriate.

What are you views on this game?

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: World of darkness
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
This is exactly the right board, don't worry.

My brother has recently started buying up as many WoD books as he can, but he refuses to actually start a game, much to my chagrin. I love the background of the various systems, and I like the fact that it seems to be far more story-driven than D&D, with less emphasis placed on combat, much like Call of Cthulhu.

So I'm looking forward to playing, but I don't know when I'll actually get the chance.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »
Which versions of the WoD? The original few editions or the retconed "newer" versions?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:59:46 PM »
I'm talking about the newer versions, don't know about him.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
Either way, the newer versions while containing some interesting ideas are somewhat more shallow than those that came before.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
i am not entirely sure which versions but it is great fun.

So what are you opinions/tactics/anything else about the game???

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »
Used to play the old Vampire the Masquerade, never got around to playing the newer ones though.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
I've played the computer game, Vampire: The Masquarade.  I liked it, despite needing frequent underwear changes further into the game.  The whole background and feel to the world is very cool, especially how Werewolves are treated.

I've never played the RPG, however.  Though if I had the chance I would do.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
i am not entirely sure which versions but it is great fun.

Vampire: The Requiem is new. Vampire: The Masquerade is old.
Werewolf: The Forsaken is new. Werewolf: The Apocalypse is old.
Mage: The Awakening is new. Mage: The Ascension is old.

Plus there are a number of older games that haven't been updated yet - Hunter, Changeling, Mummy, Wraith, maybe one or two I missed.

By and large the old ones are better, in terms of background at least. The new games are a little watered down, designed to focus more on the players and their actions. That's fine and all, but it loses all the global conspiracies and apocalyptic themes of the old games.

Well, save Werewolf. W:tA got a bit silly, with Pentex and all. But I miss the Camarilla, Sabbat, and most of all, the Technocracy.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:00:13 PM »
The short lived series Orpheus did some wonderful work picking where Wraith left off. Why Irandrura, I would have thought you'd be a firm favourite of The Hierarchy. Some of the similarities with the Imperium are quite endearing.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline BunniRabbi

• Reason & Faith must coincide, else one risks both.
    • Burgeon Battle Wargame Wiki: A Fan-Collaborated Wargame System
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
Either way, the newer versions while containing some interesting ideas are somewhat more shallow than those that came before.

That was my responce at first, but after playing I think it's the other way around.  The old books seem deeper because they state things more obviosly and with less subtly.  The newer ones expect a player to either be familiar with the themes addressed or willing to become familiar them on their own.  Each also remains closer to concept then the original.

As far as loosing the global and apocalyptic feel, that's intentional.  The new setting isn't written with the apocolypse in mind the way the last one was (the ending date of the old setting was actually given in the very first book's fluff).  The loss of the global feel allows GMs (called Storytellers in this system) to capitalize on the eerie, desperate, and disconnected feeling of this style of horror.  The players don't have a vast shadow-network to call on for aid anymore (at least not as much as they did). 

By the way;
Changeling: The Dreaming became Changeling: The Lost
Interested in an open-source, player made wargame system?  We could use your help getting off the ground.  http://burgeonbattle.pbworks.com/

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »
That was my responce at first, but after playing I think it's the other way around.  The old books seem deeper because they state things more obviosly and with less subtly.  The newer ones expect a player to either be familiar with the themes addressed or willing to become familiar them on their own.  Each also remains closer to concept then the original.

I disagree. I certainly did not enjoy the last round of source material which detailed the "fall" of each of the series and generally block out any such event ever happening. The earlier source material carried the depth I was speaking off where the world was your oyster.

Demon was a lot of fun as well.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Screwhead

• Keeping Music Evil
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:18:37 PM »
Absolutely my favorite RPG system by far. You could really do anything with it, not just follow the existing games. I used the system for a mideval hack and slash game with next to no rules modifications, I ran a short-lived Call of Cthulhu game with the WoD system, as well as been in and ran a whole mess of games for pretty much all of them.

Dunno what the new ones are like, but IMO you really can't go wrong with the old stuff.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
The new version of Vampire certainly has some good ideas. The concept of age and remaing awake for extended periods of time now have benefits and consequences as they should. Same with making childer now, IMO, makes the action meaningful rather than an after thought. Alas, such changes to the rules do make the Sabbat less than capable.  ;)

Damn it, now you've made me break out some of the old books for a read.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »
Well from what I gathered from the computer game, the Sabbat as a whole aren't very effective and mostly use ill trained shock troops with little actual success.  So that fits, really.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »
Well from what I gathered from the computer game, the Sabbat as a whole aren't very effective and mostly use ill trained shock troops with little actual success.  So that fits, really.

The younger bloods, certainly. However, those within the ranks were something much different. The concept of mass risings of shock troops takes a massive blow though when even having one childe takes a lot out of you and requires some long term recuperation.

Becareful of reading too much into a computer game.  ;)
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
Aye, of course.  The computer game is sure to have some differences, and I admittedly didn't play to the later stages where I'm sure there are plenty of very powerful Sabbat.

The game was pretty good though, what with Humanity being represented quite nicely.  Not many games punish you for being nasty quite like that...

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »
Plus there are a number of older games that haven't been updated yet - Hunter, Changeling, Mummy, Wraith, maybe one or two I missed.

Changeling has been updated, it's called Changeling: The Lost.

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
The short lived series Orpheus did some wonderful work picking where Wraith left off. Why Irandrura, I would have thought you'd be a firm favourite of The Hierarchy. Some of the similarities with the Imperium are quite endearing.

I'm not an expert on the various White Wolf games, which is also my excuse for not knowing about the new Changeling game. I have a general knowledge of some of the higher profile games, but there's only so many game series one can follow without going mad. ;)

Still, quickly looking at the Hierarchy, you're right, it does look interesting. I'm mostly aware of just Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, and a little of Hunter, though. The others are off my radar. Of those, Mage was always the one that appealed to me most.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:07 PM »
Wraith was always my favourite due to how easy it was to slot such stories into any theme and/or time period without much loss. Mage and Vampire were close seconds each due to their own background qualities. Now, the Technocracy myself and my peers could fit right behind as we were all uni students at the time.  :D

Hunter was just plain bad in my experience. Not enough Buffy and too much X-Files while being behind the learning curve of both.

I would suggest having a look at Demon, Irandura, as the background material at least is rather interesting to read.

Everything Changeling can just beslubber off and die as well. Hated the game, hated the players, hate it still.
Drink
Knights Tippler