News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Starting Khador  (Read 2781 times)

Offline 112740

• "Hey baby, can I roll to penetrate your armor?":)
Starting Khador
« on: February 11, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »
Ok, I have finally given into starting up warmachine and have a few questions. I have decided to play Khador and am going to get the khador box set, rulebook, and the P3 Khador paint set. What else should I get? I recently got a bunch of money so price isn't exactly an issue. The stuff hasnt arrived in the mail yet so I dont know what to get since I havnt read the rules. I like the winter guard models and and the shock troops, are they good? Or should I get more Jacks? thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 11:38:42 PM by 112740 »
Hey baby, can I roll to penetrate your armor? Works everytime...

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
Re: Starting Khador
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 03:12:52 AM »
I play Khador for a while now and would advise to start with the starterset. Sounds logic? Makes sense? Yep, it does. You get 2 versatile warjacks warjacks and one of the best casters in the game.

As Khador player you would want a set of Widowmakers, I would also advise a Man'O War Kovnik, Eiryss, a Grey Lord Ternion and some Man'O War.

I have a lot of WInderguard myself and they can be effective if used well. Have no experience with the Shock Troops yet but plan to get some after I moved.

I would also advise to get a 2nd and maybe even 3rd warcaster depending on budget.

As far as Warjacks go, the two from the starter box will ast you a long time.

Offline 112740

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
Ok, thanks a lot. Unfortunetly I have no idea about the game exxept that it has three phases and uses cards. So I dont know what is best. Widowmakers are sort of like snipers right. The Man 'o War Kovnik looks amazing! I might just get him to paint. Also the normal Man'O Wars look cool. Any one else?

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
Besides looking good he's (pointswise) a real bargain and good with a Juggernaut or Berserker.

As for Warcasters, I personally think Vladimir is the most effective caster around.

I recently effectively fielded following Khador list:

Vadimir
Detroyer Warjack

Man'O War Kovnik
Berserker

Man'O War Kovnik

Widowmakers
Grey Lord Ternion

Winterguard Mortar X2

The list so far proved to work. Is pretty artillery heavy though. Just to give an idea of what would be possible.

Some people really prefer to use Sorscha and 10 Man'O War as well as a Man'O War Kovnik. I personally don't really see teh fun in painting that many Man'O War though...  ::)

I also tried fielding the Butcher twice. Horrible loss, both times due to tactical errors from my side. Guess the Butcher is not really my best friend.

Offline 112740

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
Isnt Man 'o War Kovnik a character? How do you field him twice? Also, In the starter P3 Khador painting set, are there any other paints I should get? The P3 set doesnt come with the gold, silver or black that is shown in the pics of Khador soldiers.

Offline Yentz

• My Warjack Pwns Your Dreadnought
  • Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »
Khador has lots of great stuff, and its hard to go wrong with just about anything.

Personally, this would be my shopping list if I was just starting out...

Prime: Remix
Khador Box set.
The Butcher
Vlad

10 Iron Fang Pikemen, and the Unit Attachment(Iron Fangs are tough, fast, versitile infantry and can slaugher infantry and warjacks with equal ease)
1 Manhunter(A very good solo)
1 Box of Widowmakers(Elite snipers that annoy the heck out of your opponent).

With that stuff, you got the makings of a good 500pt army. After you have played for a while, get the feel of what you like and dislike, and than make your choices from there.. If it helps, I can do a unit-by-unit rundown of the Khador forces.

Warjacks-
The Destroyer- Great all-around Warjack. Good range attack, good melee attack. Only con is that it is pricey.
The Juggernaught- Great anti-warjack warjack. This guy will wreck any warjack on the field. He is cheapish, and is very effective at what he does.. Killing warjacks dead.
The Marauder- Slam-Machine. Great in combinations with other parts of your army. Slams warjacks around, which can wreck havoc on an enemys battle plan.
The Kodiak- An All-terrain warjack, and runs for free. Very mobile, and has 2 open fists, which allows him to chuck warjacks around. Also has a good special attack that lets him cook infantry near him.
The Devastator- The walking bomb. Has the highest armour in the game, and is damn near impossible for an enemy to kill before he attacks. When he attacks, he can kill a HUGE amount of enemy infantry, and can get deep into an enemys lines. Once it attacks, its armour drops, and it can be killed easier.
The Bezerker- Very cheap, but at the same time, its not very good. You get what you pay for. Needs support if you want it to kill stuff, but can be good with the right warcasters(Vlad and Karchev).
The Spriggian- Expensive, but has alot of bells and wistles to help it out. Has more threat range than other warjacks, and can trample through enemy troops easily.
The Behemoth- Our unique warjack, very tough, very dangerous, and very, very expensive. Is the most expensive model in the game. Has 2 bombard cannons like the Destroyer, and can shred enemy warjacks with its fists, which half the armour of enemy warjacks.

Troops

Iron Fang Pikemen- Versitile, tough, and deadly melee infantry. Rated as some of the best infantry in the game. Its unit attachment makes it even more deadly and tough.
Widowmakers- Elite Snipers. Can slowly dismantle warjacks, or kill infantry regardless of their armour. Very high defense, but very low armour.
Winterguard- All-Around infantry. Sort of a jack-of-all trades, master of none. Doesen't have the hitting power of the Iron Fangs, but are a bit more maneverable. Has a ranged attack, and its Unit attachment makes them more diffuclt to hit, and gives them a sort of "hit and run" ability. Frailer than the Iron Fangs, but still plenty tough when used with other models that support them.
Assault Kommandoes- Tough, ranged infantry. Has a very good anti-infantry ranged attack, and can lay down a withering storm of firepower. Their not out yet, so I can't give you alot of experiance with them, but their stats are good.
Mekanics- They fix jacks, and are dirt cheap. Simple as that. Good if you have alot of warjacks in your army, or play Karchev. If you only have 1-2 warjacks in your army, I wouldn't bother.
Man-O-War Shocktroopers. Tough. DAMN tough. They are slow, and lack punching power, but chances are, they will never die. The problem is, they will probobly never do anything either.
Man-O-War Demo Crew- Still very tough, not quite as tough as Shocktroopers, but they make up for it by being monsters in melee. They wreck anything they get in melee with, be it Warjacks, Infantry, whatever. They are also cheaper than Shocktroopers. If you like Man-O-War, I recommend these guys.
Kossite Woodsmen- Frail, but have a nifty ambush ability that makes your opponent on edge.
Greylords- A great support unit, they can freeze enemys, give you cover, drop an enemys defense, stop charges, or just slaugher infantry with their spray attacks. They are also a key unit to deal with models that can only be harmed by magic attacks.
Morter Crew- Simple unit, they lob morters at your enemy. Great anti-infantry unit.

Solos

Manhunter- Fast, stealthy solo that can wreck up a light warjack. Cheapish and usefull.
Man-O-War Kovnik- Tough, hard-hitting, slow solo that can Jackmarshall. Typically I don't like Jackmarshalling, but it can be usefull in some situations. Very expensive though.
Man-O-War Drakhun- Tough, FAST, Very hard-hitting solo that is tougher than most light warjacks. Expensive.
Kovnik Josef- He is there to support your Winterguard. Gives them special orders that make them better. No point if you don't have Winterguard.

Im sure im missing a few things, just ask if you have any specific questions on any of the models, units or Warcasters.

Offline 112740

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 06:10:22 PM »
Wow, that is exactly what I needed! Thanks you so much Yentz! I think I will add the widowmakers to my list because they sound like a very versitile unit. Also, the Kodiek, that thing looks awesome! Would you suggest it? Also, any ideas for the paints besides the Khador P3 set?

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 06:41:15 PM »
I would recommend the Iron Kingdoms and Menoth paint sets. Both give some good colors for Khador. Menoth has some deep reds, and some good cloth colors, as well as more flesh tones. The Iron Kingdoms set comes with your basic colors, like Black, White, Metal, etc.

And yeah, I like the Kodiak. Its a good, all-purpose Jack. Its not the heavest hitter out there, but it can do alot of damage in the right situations. The fact that it can move through terrain freely is a big factor.(Its one of the very, very few Warjacks that can do that naturally)

Of course, I like most of the warjacks that Khador has. Only ones I don't use a whole lot are the Spriggian and the Bezerker. And even they have their uses. The ones I tend to field the most are the Destroyer, Devastator, Behemoth, Kodiak and the Juggernaught.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 06:51:12 PM by Yentz »

Offline 112740

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
For the paints, would I get those two, plus the khador one? The sanguine red looks good, but not as good as Khador red! I will put the Kodiek on my list. Thanks. Also, is there any fluff for Iron Kingdoms?

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
The Iron Kingdoms have their own D&D setting, so yeah, they got a good deal of fluff for them.  ;D

I would recommending picking up Prime:Remix first chance you get. It has all of the rules for the game, the stats for the Prime Models, and a good deal of fluff about the world and the factions.

Offline 112740

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 07:39:08 PM »
Well I'm ordering from this place which is dirt cheap and I am getting the rulebook plus all the models mentioned:
http://store.usacomicbooks.com/warmachine.html

Is this a good place to get stuff? Also, do you know were to play Warmachine? I dont have any small gameshops and the only source for gameing is GW, and I dont think they would take to kindly of me coming in and using their tables to play with their biggest competitions models! ;) So for anyone who has a similar situation, were do you play? I guess I could try to get some friends to start with me.

Offline 112740

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »
I just saw some models on a site:
http://store.usacomicbooks.com/wakhdoreunbo.html
And I got to say, they are amazing looking models!! I just wanted to get some opinions on whether they are good or not. I havnt seen them in any lists. Also, what about the Drakun(sp?)

oops, sorry about the double post, I thought someone replyed. :-[
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:32:25 PM by 112740 »

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
Doomreavers are potentially very, very powerful, but they are also very, very tricky to use.

They are a little frail, but have incredible hitting power. They can, by themselves.. Destroy an entire unit of infantry easily. Or scrap a heavy Warjack. Each time they kill a model, they immediatly MUST make an attack at another model. So that means that 1 Doomreaver can kill every single model within 2" of it. But on the con side, they may also just kill themselves if you do not properly spread them out or angle them correctly. They are also immune to magic, friendly and enemy.

They are a unit that I would put in the *save for later* bin. Very powerful with certain warcasters(Epic Butcher), but damn hard to use.

The Drakhun on the other hand, is sheer raw, power. He is for all intents and purposes... A warjack. He hits like a mac-truck and is tough as nails, and is very fast to boot.

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 04:12:19 AM »
I need one of those Drakhuns.
It was released yesterday so I guess they'll be sold out for the moment though  :'(

My girlfriend likes horses and she currently plays (and paints) my Khador.

Offline 112740

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
Ok all you warmachine fans. I have thought of an idea and I think it is good. It has probobly already been done but I cant find it. I am proposing we make a topic all about Warmachine for any intrested players. And then we would all put a link to the topic in our sig. This would mean me, Yentz, The Solitaire, possibley Chuckles and any others that like warmachine. Is this a good idea. If we get enough people, maybe we would be able to get our own warmachine catagory in the menu. Any ideas?

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 05:11:18 PM »
There used to be just one warmachine thread, then it expanded.  But there's still not enough demand for its own board.  Not to mention, we're primarily a Warhammer website(and therefore GW).  It's our niche and we'll probably be sticking with it.
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline 112740

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
Ok, it doesnt have to have its own topic, but any takers on just starting a post like what I mentioned?

Offline Yentz

• Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 06:18:23 PM »
While a pinned Warmachine thread would be cool, the Non-40k board is dead enough that its simply not really needed. There is no real problem with just making new threads about Warmachine/Hordes.

Offline 112740

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 06:40:44 PM »
While a pinned Warmachine thread would be cool, the Non-40k board is dead enough that its simply not really needed. There is no real problem with just making new threads about Warmachine/Hordes.

Thats exactly why we would do this and put it in our sig. It would attract more people to A) Warmachine and B) The Non-40k board. If this idea is totaly out there, just tell me and I'll shut up.

But back to the topic at hand. I had a question about man 'o wars. Yentz said they wouldnt do much, but I really want to get some. Would this be a good list:

Sorscha
Juggernaut
Destroyer
Widowmakers
3 Man 'o Wars
1 Man 'o War Kovnik

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 07:12:02 PM »
What kind of Man o' Wars are you taking?  Stormtroopers or Demo Corp?

Also, I *think* (I'll let Yentz verifiy this) the Kovnik has jack marshal, and your wasting it if you don't marshal something.  You could marshal one of the jacks.  I'd suggest the Destroyer, because you can marshal it to boost the to hit roll with the bombard.

Or drop it all together for Eiryss or Gorman.  Both are great solos to take.  Reinholdt (sp?) is a good cheap solo as well, though he may have a hard time sticking close to Sorscha, what with her Wind Rush spell.