News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62023 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2018, 05:36:17 PM »
Wouldn’t you know it?  I get back to work only to catch the flu.  the Udders of Thoth.  :P

But here’s the thing; I’m signed up for a tornament in March so I have to hurry up and start painting these Overlords!

I always wanted to paint them green.  Because it’s quite steampunk and because it hardly features on the named skyports.  However, I was never quite sure how to go about it exactly.  I was searching around for inspiration and I found this:

http://nerdmerge.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/BS2FirstRosieMultiplayer.png

That’s a Big Daddy from Bioshock, with a greyish uniform and copper armour with a patina.  Could this be the way to go?  I quite like the idea of green ships with grey or white suited crew.

Would anyone have any advice for how to go about painting something like this?  Obviously this example is a lot more ‘dirty’ than my finished examples would be though.  I’m also open to suggestions for other ideas!

Image tags removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:30:07 AM by Irisado »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2018, 06:23:27 AM »
Hey bud, I think it'd be really simple. I'd go with a Mechanicus Grey spray primer for your base, then throw Balthasar Gold on for the bronze metal bits... with a heavy Nuln Oil Wash over the whole thing. You could even due a slight bit of green washes or glazes (emphasis on SLIGHT) to give that patina look.

In fact if you are intersted in going for patina look on your ships, I'd go Balthasar Gold on them, Heavy Nuln Oil wash and then a little green wash glaze.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »
G'day, Cap!
Read your post this morning and was thinking about it during the day, however, Cavalier nailed it. Didn't come up with anything that good... Be well!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
I think it looks like a fusion between heresy era Death Guard and their modern equivalents (with toned-down grime).

I reckon this’ll look boss on your dwarves. Thanks for sharing your ideas Cap!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:10 AM »
That’s a Big Daddy from Bioshock, with a greyish uniform and copper armour with a patina.  Could this be the way to go?  I quite like the idea of green ships with grey or white suited crew.

I think green will be a great colour for the Frigates and Ironclads and it will contrast really well with a grey suited crew.

That’s a Big Daddy from Bioshock, with a greyish uniform and copper armour with a patina.

Would anyone have any advice for how to go about painting something like this?  Obviously this example is a lot more ‘dirty’ than my finished examples would be though.  I’m also open to suggestions for other ideas!

For tips on painting you should check out Warhammer TV. Have a look At This Youtube video  Or This one for some good tips on painting verdigris on copper using Nihilakh Oxide technical paint.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:31:42 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:44 AM »
Thank you everyone for the awesome responses.  :)

I think I finally have a game plan here.  Here’s another pic that probably better displays my idea:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bioshock/images/5/5e/Bigsister004.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20101023183323

It’s the two images in the top left that are of interest to me.  They’re like a cleaner version of the first pic.  But one question; the named sky ports have very striking colour schemes.  Bright blue, bright red, purple etc.  Do you think this green and grey/white combo will have the same effect?  Actually, we probably won’t know that until I put paint to model.  ;D

One other question; having seen both pics, would you guys recommend white or grey for the overalls?

Image tags removed to avoid hotlinking - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:29:30 AM by Irisado »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
The colour schemes on GW Webstore aren't that bright so green/grey should be fine.

As for whether or not you should paint the overalls grey or white that is entirely up to you. The Kharadrons are generally considered to have a Steampunk aesthetic so I would suggest you go with grey or cream as the Victorians did not have access to a brilliant white paint.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
G'day, Cap!
Have seen some Biel-Tan armies green/white and green/grey. The green goes better with the grey, in my opinion. Particularly for that steampunk feel you'll be looking for. 

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
Again, thanks for the advice guys.  It’s very much appreciated!  :)

Grey or cream, but not white.  Sounds good me to me!

Tomorrow I’m committed to painting the purity seals of my marines, and possibly getting those chapter badges stuck on too!  I’ve got Rakarth Flesh, Ushabti Bone, Reikland Fleshshade, Screamer Pink and Nuln Oil.  Would they do or do I need something else?  And the badges.  Would nuln oil over a white base with fleshshade on top do?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2018, 05:17:44 AM »
Games Workshop recommends Zandri Dust, Agrax Earthshade and Ushabti Bone for the parchment bit of the purity seals so I guess what you have is near enough.

The wax part of the purity seal is normally painted Screamer Pink followed by Pink Horror. Personally I think that you can get away with not doing the edge highlight but that is just me.

As for your badges Reikland and Nuln are both Shades so I have no idea if that would work as I don't think I have ever seen two shade paints being used before. Being lazy I would probably just dry brush them.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2018, 07:59:57 PM »
So I’ve now got most of the paints I need, but I haven’t started painting those purity seals just yet. 

Oh no.  Instead, I took the plunge, and started my Overlords.

Please be kind.  :P

Here’s a quick sample:

Since those photos were taken, I’ve dry brushed the armour again and added Nuln Oil to the details to bring them out.  And I’ve fixed the eyes too.  I will need some highlights to really bring them out though.  Thoughts?  Has it been worth the wait?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:07:57 PM by Calamity »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »
Niiiiice!
This piece is so neet, mate. Cannot wait to see it finished.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2018, 04:40:39 AM »
That model and the unit look fantastic so far Captain and the colour scheme lends a sense of harshness to the models. Much better than the pastel like colours used on Games Workshop Webstore. Looking at your models you could believe that your Overlords are still in touch with their Dwarven (Duardin) history rather than being full on traders.

Personally I think the copper/bronze could be a little brighter just to lift the overall look of a finished unit.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2018, 06:23:30 AM »
LOOKS SO GOOD! Oh man I love the paint work Tangi. It seriously looks awesome. Its actually quite grim looking which I really like. I wouldn't change anything... I think you nailed it 100%. Great stuff... now you got 2 cool looking armies underway. Keep it up!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
Thank you so much for the words of support everyone.  I’m really happy to see that the scheme is going down well. :)

I’ve made further progress on the company too.  Here’s a sample:

I’d say they’re about 75% done now.  Just to base them and attach those special weapons. 

I also need some highlights to really bring them out.  The armour is warplock bronze, washed in earthshade, drybrushed in runelord brass and with nuln oil for the details.  The leather is mournfang brown washed in earthshade and nuln oil, and the overalls are mechanicus grey washed in earth and oil too. 

Suggestions for highlights?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:43 PM »
Small highlights of runefang steel will help the armour pop. Just small bits on the edges to keep the armour from going silver.

Whenever you use a wash, it's a good idea to bring the colour back up afterwards. A layer of the base colour (leaving the shade in resesses) and then a small highlight of a brighter colour afterwards on edges and raised areas will make those spots pop too.

Looking good so far though. Just needs to be brought back up from the shades.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
Really sweet work Cap! I think the colour choices are excellent and this will look striking across an entire army.

I will, though, echo what KS said. Just bring the layers back to the fore to lighten the model a touch whilst giving it more depth. Also, add the touch of silver the the extreme edge of the bronze. Just the extreme edges though; this will help really bring the model to life.

Great work Cap, I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Again, thank you for the support everyone.  :)

I’m happy to see the scheme going down well.  I know it’s very different to the named sky ports, but that’s probably for the best.  If you’re going unique, go big or go home right?  Did I get that steampunk aesthetic down right?

I’m also thinking about how this scheme will look on the ships.  Does Warplock Bronze come in a spray?  I don’t think it does but I might be wrong.  At any rate, I hope to have all 3 companies finished by Friday.  I have a tournament coming up and I need everything done by the 11th of March.  At this rate it’s doable, but there can be no holdups.  :P

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2018, 11:48:48 AM »
I’m also thinking about how this scheme will look on the ships.

I thought the idea was to paint the ships green!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »
I thought the idea was to paint the ships green!

Oh it is!  I’m just wondering if I should be painting them metallic green like the troops or non metallic green, if that makes sense?  Probably not.  :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:13:49 PM by Calamity »