News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My Aeldari and Aelf  (Read 60293 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: My Aeldari now with a dash of imperials!
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »
So you bought them this way, right?

Nope, all NOS. I managed to find a super box set called outpost Pythos IV, It has the full deathworld set, the cargo containers set and a bastion. Found it on ebay going cheap in Europe and ebay had a site wide sale.

The webway gate was a planned purchase from the LGS.

Here is a quick update.

On a side note, if you are looking for some cheap ready made terrain, I found this last night at the pet store, suuper cheap compared to the prices of stuff down here. Plastic, prepainted, LOS blocking, a bit narrow, but just works. Turns out, the fish section also sell rocks of various sizes that would totally work for other terrain pieces, so if you didn't want to scratch build, its looking like a solid option.

Ornament Rock Formation Medium 20x8.5x16.5cm

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
That webway gate is such a beautiful kit. Haven't seen one yet that captures the look as well as that.

Loving tge colour scheme in general too! Bone and red, who'd have thought I'd be a fan, right? ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2018, 02:40:20 PM »
Looking good Mage. I dig the darker shade of the Wraithgate. The spirit stones look really good too. Also those rocks look awesome! Perfect for games. They must be pretty huge if they are bigger than the Eldritch Ruins. Nice find!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2018, 01:36:51 AM »
The Web-Way Gate looks really cool, Mage! Loving the contrast in the spirit stones, and the slightly aged look of the wraith bone! Looks beautiful together, though I would have gone with some other colors on the wraithguard-looking part of the statue. The minimalist color scheme looks great none-the-less ;D!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Very nice bone finish on that Gate, love it. Red gems look great against it too. Good job!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
That gate is looking lovely. The bone finish is really nice and counteracts so well with the Spirit Stones...which are executed wonderfully.

Those rocks? Brilliant find Magenb. I often check the aquarium section of the local pet stores when I'm using them as free entertainment for my son, but I've never found anything that would fit 40k nearly as well as those bad boys!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: My Aeldari
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »
so frozen stars test build

I'm thinking of trying the mud texture base to fill the rest of the base, but I'm kind of stuck on what colour to do the ground cover. Normally it would be brown, green and a touch of yellow for normal green leaf vegetation. Any ideas?

Sound I mix in green leaf?

EDIT:ops, photo helps :)

Web way is basically done now, just need to fix up a few mistakes and then I'll do a table shot :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:05:13 PM by magenb »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2018, 01:11:08 AM »
A bright blue. With the foliage you've put, that would be my suggestion. I love the simplicity of your paint job too (comes from all the freaking diamonds I've been painting).
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Re: My Aeldari
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2018, 03:34:06 AM »
I'm thinking of trying the mud texture base to fill the rest of the base, but I'm kind of stuck on what colour to do the ground cover. Normally it would be brown, green and a touch of yellow for normal green leaf vegetation. Any ideas?

Sound I mix in green leaf?

Hey Mage!
It might sound crazy, but I'd try dark purple/violet for ground colour. Probably even with glossy finish (although this should definitely be tested first). At least I'd try this out on one base as an experiment. Personally I wouldn't do green leaves, the ones you have look 100% cool.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2018, 04:17:36 AM »
I love the simplicity of your paint job too (comes from all the freaking diamonds I've been painting).

Yeah, I didn't want to deal with tiny diamond. If you get a chance too, check out the painting guide for the Harlequins, I don't think its worth paying for, but there are some good idea for poses in there, plus they do go for super close up shots and you get to see its not as tidy as it looks in the table photos :)

The dreaming shadow is another masque that doesn't use diamonds, but lots of cool idea's like the masks, a lot of them have patterns of red on white so they remind me of kabuki masks, not a fan of the colours, but nice idea's on how you might mix 3 colours on the models.

Well watching paint dry now... so time to experiment with how much foliage :)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:59 AM »

Well watching paint dry now... so time to experiment with how much foliage :)

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd say that is a bit too much foilage... The legs of the model kind of disappear against it. Maybe it's just the photo though.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
I'd say that is a bit too much foilage... The legs of the model kind of disappear against it. Maybe it's just the photo though.

I'd agree with Seekingone. The base should accentuate the model and thus compliment it. In this case, it draws attention away from the Harlequin.

I'd say one or 2 small leaves should do the trick, in colours that are reflected in the model.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2018, 05:14:05 PM »
yeah I was trying to get a alien jungle feel, rather than a sparce open plain.

Here I tried swapping out some of the biger plants at the back withsome thinner ones. Still have not played with the soil cover at this point. I don't maybe less big plants again and more of thet hin stuff to get the effect?

Here's a couple of quick tests with the blue and purple suggestions.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
While I agree with SeekingOne and Loosh, Mage on how the Harlie kind of blends into his base, I must say that that base on it's own is super vibrant and really cool looking ;D! I definitely like the idea you're shooting for, kind of gives me vibes from James Cameron's the Avatar movie. I also like how the earth on the base is kind of glowing from the luminescent fauna.

Also liking that Harlequin scheme a lot! When does White and Black ever not mesh together well ;)?
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
A more sparse base certainly lets your model shine a little more without losing that cool alien jungle effect. That second model with only the two leaves is a perfect amount. I liked the purple soil effect you achieved as well.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2018, 05:36:02 AM »
ok more testing for halies

and another idea for deathworld :)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #236 on: July 2, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
Well things are moving along :)

The other "tree" is coming along too.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #237 on: July 3, 2018, 06:05:04 PM »
Awesome stuff mage! Your concept of alien jungle is working.
As a minor note, I'd consider painting the rims of the harlequin bases black. Maybe it's just me, but I always feel a base looks more natural when the colour of the rim is diferent from that of the ground texture on top of it.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #238 on: July 3, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
Beautiful, exotic! Can't wait to see pics on a battle field with your army all around it kicking butt!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: My Aeldari and Alef.
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »
Had to put the Harlies on hold for a bit while I do a mad rush to get some Deepkin ready for a game. The bow and arrow are meant to be a slight orange for more of a coral feel, but they keep coming out either too brown or too orange.