News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bad Moons - 1700 points  (Read 434 times)

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
Bad Moons - 1700 points
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »
Well, here is kick two of the kan. Constructive comments and critiques please.

HQ (450 points)

Warboss w/ choppa, PK, ‘eavy armour, bonce, iron gob, squig, frag grenades
Nobs x5 w/ choppa x5, ‘eavy armour x5, bonce x5, frag grenades x5, slugga x4, PK
Trukk w/ rokkit, red paint, grot oiler

Big Mek w/ choppa, PK, KFF

Troops (715 points)

Flash Gitz x12 w/ dakka x12, big shoota x4
Mekboy w/ choppa, slugga, KFF, grot oilers x3, mektools

Flash Gitz – as above

Sluggas x19 w/ rokkits x3
Nob w/ choppa, PK, iron gob, bosspole

Fast Attack (260 points)

Trukk Boyz x10 w/ burna
Nob w/ choppa, PK, iron gob

Warbuggies x2 w/ skorchas, grot oilers

Heavy Support (275 points)

Killer Kanz (45) x3 w/ big shootas (free)

Battlewagon w/ zzapgun, red paint, grot oilers

Taktiks: Essentially the Gitz march up one flank with the Kanz for cover/block enemy fire lanes while the Big Mek led Sluggas advance behind/alongside them (boss pole to help mob-up Gitz); assault 2 shootas with 4 big shootas is a load of dice and even at BS2 will gather most players' attention and divert from shooting the Sluggas before they reach something. In the event I need mobility, there is always the Wagon to get them there faster (hence 19 Sluggas plus Big Mek). The warbuggies provide flank support.

The Wagon also covers the advance of the Boss and Trukk Boys to give them (hopefully) a turn free from shooting while all three blast across the field for a turn 2 charge. If the Big Mek gets aboard we now have the benefit of the KFF to the wagon to boot.

Calculations: 14 big shootas, 5 rokkits, 4 PKs

Comments, queries?

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline SlipUp

• He's so mean he hates himself.
Re: Bad Moons - 1700 points
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
Well, here is kick two of the kan. Constructive comments and critiques please.

Sorry, I only deal in destructive comments.

HQ (450 points)

Warboss w/ choppa, PK, ‘eavy armour, bonce, iron gob, squig, frag grenades
Nobs x5 w/ choppa x5, ‘eavy armour x5, bonce x5, frag grenades x5, slugga x4, PK

Ditch the squig and frag stikkbombs. They are worthless. You have spent points on a choppa+PK, despite the fact your boss comes with a free kustom mega blasta. ditch the choppa. You have 12 points to spend, which I'd use on a bionik arm for the boss to get an additional PK attack.

Big Mek w/ choppa, PK, KFF

Your gonna have to ditch one of these. You can take 2 one-handed weapons, or one one-handed and a two-handed. You have two one-handed (Choppa, PK.) and a two-handed. (KFF) I'm guessing you are going to want to ditch the choppa.

Troops (715 points)

Flash Gitz x12 w/ dakka x12, big shoota x4
Mekboy w/ choppa, slugga, KFF, grot oilers x3, mektools

Flash Gitz – as above

This is what I hate about Flash gitz. Here, you have 32 points tied up in giving 8 boyz the "More Dakka" upgrade, but they can't use it because they have big shootas. If it were me, I'd ditch the big shootas and give them all the "Shootier" upgrade. This way the have the S of a big shoota, although at half the range. However, it evens out when you realize that you have 24 S5 shots as opposed to only 12. Yo also save 16 points. I'd also get rid of the mekboyz. You shouldn't need the KFF if you keep in cover and the oilers+mektools would be better served being on the battlewagon, if at all. If you do keep them, you have to ditch eithe the slugga, choppa. or KFF. Actually, you need to ditch more as you can only take 40 points of wargear. You have 43 points. Assuming you ditch them all together, you have saved 106 points, so 122 points total from this unit. That's a huge amount of points you have tied up in ineffective ways. You can get a whole Big Gun Battery AND slap some Armour plates on your killa kans+Boss trukk for that! And the savings continue...

Sluggas x19 w/ rokkits x3
Nob w/ choppa, PK, iron gob, bosspole

Good. Goes into the battle wagon I assume? Ditch the iron gob and the bosspole. You shouldn't need it.

Fast Attack (260 points)

Trukk Boyz x10 w/ burna
Nob w/ choppa, PK, iron gob

Another solid choice. Once again I'd ditch the Iron Gob.

Warbuggies x2 w/ skorchas, grot oilers

Since you have so few models, these will be a life saver against 'umies, bugs, and other orks. If you followed my advice above about being thrifty on upgrades, you can tag another skorcha buggy on here and still have 99 points to blow.

Heavy Support (275 points)

Killer Kanz (45) x3 w/ big shootas (free)

Usually I love these. Not so much for this list. Your cc guys are all mounted on trukks or battle wagons which more 4x or 2x as fast as these, respectively. They'll be lagging behind, hanging out with your flashgitz. I'd ditch them altogether.

Battlewagon w/ zzapgun, red paint, grot oilers

If you have followed my advice above, you have 234 points to spare. Strap some Armour plates on this bad boy.

You still have 224 points to spend. That's a ton of f'n points. With this you can buy two full big gun batteries. If you decide to do that, grab the lobbas. 6 blast templates a turn will wreck havoc on horde armies, which you will otherwise have losts of troubles with. Or maybe a Leman Russ? A couple more nobs for your boss' bodyguard? Or fit the ones you have now in mega armour? Maybe even another trukk? Whatever. Personally, I'd go with 2 units of 3 lobba w/ slaver and squighound. That'll cost 216, leaving you with 18 points. I'd use those to slap a cybork body on the Warboss and some 'Eavy armour on the Big Mek.

Taktiks: Essentially the Gitz march up one flank with the Kanz for cover/block enemy fire lanes while the Big Mek led Sluggas advance behind/alongside them (boss pole to help mob-up Gitz); assault 2 shootas with 4 big shootas is a load of dice and even at BS2 will gather most players' attention and divert from shooting the Sluggas before they reach something. In the event I need mobility, there is always the Wagon to get them there faster (hence 19 Sluggas plus Big Mek). The warbuggies provide flank support.

The Wagon also covers the advance of the Boss and Trukk Boys to give them (hopefully) a turn free from shooting while all three blast across the field for a turn 2 charge. If the Big Mek gets aboard we now have the benefit of the KFF to the wagon to boot.

I'd think about trading in the Slugga boyz for some 'Ardboyz or Skarboyz. Then you can spend some points on giving the big mek some tools and grots to fix the battlewagon if it breaks because there'll be enough transport slots in the wagon to fit them. I've tried Kan screens before and... Well... They're very underwhelming to be honest. A round of autocannon fire nad suddenly they're stuck in the middle of the board immbolized. Then it takes a few turns to repair them , holding up the rest of the army. Or worse, leaving them with no cover. Even in combat, they never make their points back because of some smuck with a powerfist. If you want a screen, grab some grots. Cheaper and more effective. You can get a unit of ten with a slaver for one kan, and it takes more shooting t destroy them then the kan. You could get three units.

Do not stick you boss trukk behind the wagon to screen it. It'll either A)Slow them down, which is bad enough, or even worse B) blow up, trapping your boss trukk behind the wreckage. If you get stuck behind this thing, you won't get the turn 2 charge. More like turn 3. That means you miss out on 2 rounds of combat with your hardest unit. Not good. Use terrain for cover instead. Besides, even if the trukk does blow up, you have a 3+ armour save on those nobz. They should be fine.

Oh, you may want to consider giving the Warboss a mek In his bodyguard. If you only take the 3x grots, tools, and a KFF, you won't exceed the 40 point limit. Then your trukk becomes more reslitent with the KFF and the mek's ability to repair it.

Calculations: 14 big shootas, 5 rokkits, 4 PKs

You are probably going to have troubles against enemy armour. Tankbustas maybe? Actually, yeah, try to get some tankbustas, they'll be a lifesaver.

Comments, queries?

My philosophy is effective use of points and adhering to a simple battleplan. Don't try to throw in too many tricks that don't really contribute to your overall strategy (Kans), or waste points on upgrades that can't be used (More Dakka on the Flash gitz with big shootas), or simply engaging in what I call "wargear gluttony". Ork ICs are renown for how hilariously fast tey die. Do you want that loss to be massive and crippling? Or simply annoying? Instead of making them a huge point sink, try asking yourself "Is this need, or want?"

;francois

Good luck!
"Pete may think that he won because he outmaneuvered me and pretty much controlled the game, but I just blame my skarboyz for being useless." - Alex Boyd, WD 285

With out the basilisk I would of lost, and for slipup's tips.

But mostly the basilisk.