News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alaitoc War Host, 2000 points (rate/feedback appreciated)  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
Alaitoc War Host, 2000 points (rate/feedback appreciated)
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
Hi guys, been thinking of getting a solid list down for my Alaitoc army at the 2000 points level. My army is pretty much in line with what oink has put down for 4th ed Alaitoc style armies, found  here (you need 100 posts to see the link).

It's my attempt at a full Alaitoc warhost which I think is fairly do-able at 2000 points, set in a post Medusa campaign era. Aspects, Those on the 'Path of the Outcast', Allied Harlequins, everything...

Besides hopefully being fluffy I'm looking at this list to be a functional take-all-comers as well. I usually play on a std 6x4 with a decent amount of city ruins/4+ cover, but not cityfight.

Anyways onto the list - Notable Characters in my collection:

Autarch Harai'Karun: Harai'Karun has wandered many paths, including the path of the Outcast in his youth. His passion for command and strategy overtook him while he was a part of a Striking Scorpion shrine; he rallied his fellow Eldar to an unlikely victory on a maiden world upon which mon-keigh had lived a hedonistic lifestyle, leading to a Daemonic ambush spearheaded by Daemonettes of Slaanesh. Harai'Karun personally slew 5 of the perverted creatures in single combat at one point during the battle to cleanse the world, and has risen through the ranks of Alaitoc command since that time. He has currently led Warhosts in 36 theatres of engagement.

Farseer Quars'men: Quars'men was drawn onto the witching path early and is therefore comparatively young by seer standards. He is particularly skilled at divining the intent of various enemies of Alaitoc, and is a reliable advisor for Harai'Karun to lean upon when formulating strategy.

Kiar'Bahn (Wraithlord): Kiar'Bahn wandered closely with Harai'Karun in their youth on the path of the Outcast, but while Harai'Karun eventually returned to the well-ordered strictures of the Craftworld, Kiar'Bahn was trapped upon the outer path for all his mortal life, becoming a Pathfinder. Like most Outcasts of Alaitoc he forever remained loyal and ready for Alaitoc in times of need, and his heroic and ultimately sacrificial actions on Medusa led the rare action of his strong spirit being incorporated into a Wraithlord body. His wanderlust still unsated, he is often found in action alongside Harai'Karun once again, as accurate with the massive Brightlance he now wields as his old Longrifle.

HQ:

Autarch Harai'Karun: Scorpion Chainsword, Fusion Gun - 85

Farseer Quars'men: Doom, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear - 98

Troops:

10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/ Diresword + Pistol, Bladestorm - 157
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/ Shimmershield + PW, Defend - 162
5 Rangers - 95
5 Rangers - 95
16 'Alaitoc Outcasts' (count as Guardian Defenders) - Brightlance -plus Spiritseer w/ Embolden -194

Elite:

10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch w/ Scorpions Claw, Stalker - 192
- Waveserpent, Spirit Stones, TL Shuricannon - 110
Harlequin Masque (6 total): 180
- Shadowseer (kiss)
- Troupe Master (PW)
- Death Jester
- 3 more Harlies, 2 with kisses.

Fast Attack:

5 Warp Spiders, Exarch w/ Dual Spinners, Surprise Assault - 137
1 Vyper, Shuricannon - 50
1 Vyper, EML - 65

Heavy Support:

Wraithlord Kiar'Bahn: Brightlance, Wraithsword - 140
2 Shadow Weavers - 60
Falcon: Spirit Stones, Holofield, EML - 180

Total 2000

My strategy is basically firebase, and to identify and take out the targets most key to my opponent's battle plans early on.

The Autarch is a troubleshooter, he bolsters my AT or CC where needed.
The Seer provides Ld and psychic defense, and Doom lets get rid of stuff that's gotta go quickly.
The Avengers give me numbers and withering firepower, can tarpit or attack
Rangers for MCs/Low Ld troops
Guardians are converted using woodelf sprue, again give me numbers and cheap catapults as well as a lance to plink away with early.
The Scorpions can advance quickly in the serpent or just defend my firebase
The Harlies can also advance quickly in the Falcon to flank or just shoot/counter charge
The Spiders can hit troublesome units that don't want to give me LOS to them.
The Falcon uses it's range as a gunboat first, and can act as a transport if needed.
The Weavers can hit bunched up Troops or fire into stuff that the Spiders don't have room to get to.
The Wraithlord is AT/Counter charge
The Vypers are harassment.

I think the strength will be the multitude of units I'm fielding. With nothing over 200 points and nothing that's really 'must survive' I can afford to take a few punches thrown by my opponent and still be dangerous and fully functional in all areas.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: Alaitoc War Host, 2000 points (rate/feedback appreciated)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:46:09 PM »
Don't think I've done an Alaitoc warhost yet. I didn't even know you used an Alaitoc army... ha!

I'll be giving you an army rating based on my 5/5 system outlined here.

Background: 1
You've done an excellent job of explaining the considerations that have gone into making this army, including things such as local gaming environment, type of opposition expected, background fluff, and even linking to inspirational material. I also like the inclusion of some history for your characters; it's always a nice touch that can be included in writing up campaign material, or just for setting up battles that might lead to some great stories later on. Really, a very thorough job, handled with style.

Composition: 1
You have a great selection of units from all areas of the FOC, good unit quantity for holding objectives, and nothing too expensive which helps force the enemy to engage multiple parts of your force rather than concentrating power on the juicy targets. Your non-scoring units are kept inexpensive, and you've selected units and upgrades that will allow to handle just about anything you might face. Nicely done.

Utility: 1
The HQ section is kept cheap and efficient, with upgrades that will be beneficial working in tandem with many of your units.

Your troops section is handled well; the expense sunk in your Defenders is worthwhile in this case, providing some flexibility with your Farseer. The Avengers have been fitted to different roles with some overlap, allowing for a couple of strategic implementations.

The Elites have a very competent Scorpions unit coupled with a Harlequins unit which maybe adds a bt more special stuff than necessary. Fast attack balances this out by being very specific in its construction and very limited on upgrades. The Heavy Support section adds an interesting cluster of units along with a very affordable support battery that rarely sees use on this forum.

Of these units, the Harlequins are probably the only squad with some fat to trim. Moving the Death Jester out and placing a second cannon on the cannon Vyper might make more sense.

Flexibility: 1
The specific blend of units you are using balances the strengths and weaknesses from squad to squad in such a manner that you should be able to competently handle just about any threat. While some units are not optimized for specific situations that may arise, there is enough of a gestalt whole that, through unity of action, you shouldn't find yourself stranded against an enemy who can rush through you piecemeal. This is part of the reason that I advocate a diversified approach, and while some of your units [rangers, Avengers etc] have targets which they quite literally cannot affect, these specific vulnerabilities do not overlap.  While I can think of specific matchups that would be disadvantageous on the unit by unit basis I normally consider, this tendency is not too prevalent throughout your list, and is compensated for. One specific recommendation might be to up the firepower on the vypers a little bit, making them useful in a wider range of situations and adding a couple extra "swing" units that can get you out of bad situations in a pinch.

Ingenuity: .5
It is nice to see the battle plans laid out pretty carefully, and an account given of the gaming group and anticipated tabletops/opponents. You also take a look at some of your strengths. You could boost this area by taking a look at some of your weaknesses, and addressing how you might handle potentially disastrous situations. It is sometimes said that it's better to know what a weapon can't do, than to know what it can do.

Total score: 4.5, for an excellent list.
Well thought out in all content areas, with justification for units selected and information on what the list can expect to encounter included. Others could probably pick up your list and use it with confidence even without much experience using Eldar. Nicely done.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »
Yeah I play Alaitoc, have done a few 1500/1000 point lists before here :)

Love the fluff and colour scheme is the best IMO, so the total package is good.

Quite keen to really 'finish' the army, usually play 1500 point games. Just have to pick up the Waveserpent and Wraithlord really, which I'll model with the Brightlance rifle look which I think is cool. Either the fluff will fit the look or the look will fit the fluff  :P

Thanks for the rating. I am a bit worried about all the points in the Harlies but I was wanting it to be a small unit of 6 incase they should come across the oppourtunity to use the Falcon.

Hopefully can get a battlereport or two, thanks for the feedback :)

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
I really like the overall look of this list. I want to start "feeling" feeling armies as opposed to "thinking" about them as well. There are few hard-hitting competitive fronts in this list, but I'm really happy about that.

No Eldrad, No Avatar... right away that is 10/10 in my books. Shadow Weavers, great idea! No one uses them, but the way you describe their use just makes so much sense for the small point cost you pay to get them.

People think too much about opportunity cost and payload when they build their lists, but I like the fact that you just went with the flow and thought about the synergy of the whole army as opposed the strength of each individual unit.

Good luck with the list, I will be waiting for those batreps!

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:10 PM »
HQ:
Farseer Quars'men: Doom, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear - 98

Troops:
5 Rangers - 95
5 Rangers - 95
16 'Alaitoc Outcasts' (count as Guardian Defenders) - Brightlance -plus Spiritseer w/ Embolden -194

Elite:
10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch w/ Scorpions Claw, Stalker - 192
Harlequin Masque (6 total): 180 - Shadowseer (kiss) - Troupe Master (PW) - Death Jester - 3 more Harlies, 2 with kisses.  (I don't see the point for the DJ, I would simply drop hima nd get another 2 Kisses)

Fast Attack:
5 Warp Spiders, Exarch w/ Dual Spinners, Surprise Assault - 137 (add one more at least)
1 Vyper, Shuricannon - 50 (add a 2nd Cannon or get a Scatterlaser to go with it)
1 Vyper, EML - 65

Heavy Support:
Wraithlord Kiar'Bahn: Brightlance, Wraithsword - 140 (swap the Sword for and EML and use range to keep it shooting and pick away at the enemy)
2 Shadow Weavers - 60 (Vibro's would be better)
Falcon: Spirit Stones, Holofield, EML - 180 (VE, Defencive weapons instead of the EML)

Total 2000

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: 11/15 units with AT potential, varied up and decent overall but small configurations changes could improve this easily; Good (.8 )
2.. Anti-MEQ potential: Same sort of deal, certain potentials and offsets but certain areas lacking as well thus its just Above Average (.7)
3.. Anti-Horde potential: In a round about way, but lacking in many ways as well so its just, Average (.6)
4.. Ranged Firepower potential: I actually had to re-look at his becuase it has more ranged firepower than I first gave it credit for; Good (.8 )
5.. Assault potential: Only 2 dedicated assault units; but several that can "hold" stuff, etc, Above Average (.7)
6.. Scoring Units / point level: 13 scoring units (that are not all min/max) at 2K is Excellent; but that min/max parts starts to pull it down slightly to, Very Good (.9)
7.. Durability or Resilience: Certain Hiden resilience in potential VP Denial, numbers, etc; but overall its just, Above Average (.7)
8.. Flexability: Here I see plenty of variation; but it could actually be better in regard to certain doubled up units thus its just, Above Average (.7)
9.. Mission Capabiliy: I don't see this list facing to many mission spacific issues, Good (.8 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme: I actually expected a few other things to go with the Alaitoc Theme in the title; but nothing pulls heavily from the theme and it certainly shows some imagination and synergy potential, so Good (.8 )

Rating = 7.5/10 Other may score it differently, and I do see it having good potential overall, I just fell that it could easily be made more effective through slight configuration variations and actually become more in Theme.

Suggestions
Farseer Quars'men: Doom, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear - 98 (possibly add Fortune and Stones)

Troops:
5 Rangers - 95 (make this unit bigger)
5 Rangers - 95
16 'Alaitoc Outcasts' (count as Guardian Defenders) - Brightlance -plus Spiritseer w/ Embolden -194 (No Spiritseer required, simply save the points and use them "True Defenders" in some available cover. Use their Bl (or maybe an EML) and pick away at the enemy.

Elite:
10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch w/ Scorpions Claw, Stalker - 192 (Shadow Strike would add a certain "unpredictability" to them)
Harlequin Masque (6 total): 180 - Shadowseer (kiss) - Troupe Master (PW) - Death Jester - 3 more Harlies, 2 with kisses.  (

Fast Attack:
5 Warp Spiders, Exarch w/ Dual Spinners, Surprise Assault - 137
1 Vyper, Shuricannon - 50
1 Vyper, EML - 65

Heavy Support:
Wraithlord Kiar'Bahn: Brightlance, Wraithsword - 140
2 Shadow Weavers - 60
Falcon: Spirit Stones, Holofield, EML - 180

CaHG
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:22:06 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »
This space is reserved for rating this list as part of the "Big List" Eldar project.

Durability: 1.5
Lethality: 1
Mobility: 1
Synergy: 1
Utility: 2

Total: 6.5/10

The list includes some pretty durable units, and it is capable of dealing with all sorts of threats, though multiple units will have to combine efforts in order to eliminate any particular threat in most cases.  This list could be effective as long as the units all provide mutual support.

Look here for a detailed explaination of the system I used to come up with this score.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:32:45 AM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.