News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looted Wagon Tactica  (Read 5435 times)

Offline The Harbinger

• Ork Boy
Looted Wagon Tactica
« on: February 2, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
Looted Wagons.

Pros.
Cheap for what they do
Can transport any infantry
Boomgun
Skorcha
Transport Capacity of 12

Cons
Fragile with armour 11.
Don't press dat.
Can not disembark units if you roll dpd.
Takes up a Heavy Support slot.
Other more preferrable Heavy choices.

Looted Wagon upgrades

-Reinforced Ram. This upgrade is a must due to the Don't press dat rule in case you tank shock or end up in difficult/ dangerous terrain. Adding to the front armour of your vehicle when tank shocking is a wonderful thing.

-Grot riggers. A very useful upgrade to keep the wagon on the move after taking fire.

-Grabbin Klaw. Not terribly useful but will work if you end up within 2 inches of another vehicle after don’t press dat.

-Boarding Plank should only be used if you are going with a Tankbusta looted wagon which I will cover later.

-Ard Case. Should only be used on Boomgun wagons because more likely than not you want all your boyz shooting.

-Red Paint job. Works just fine if you have the points leftover for it.

-Big shoota’s. Are a cheap way to avoid being immobilized after 2 weapon destroyed results.

-Rokkit Launchas. Best used on the tankbusta wagon I will mentioned later.

-Boomgun. This weapon is ace being Ordnance it reliably wrecks sh*t unless you pressed dat. Should be equipped with 2 big shootas reinforced ram and ard case.

-Skorcha. Now this is an amazing upgrade for the Burna Wagon: Skorcha Big shoota Reinforced Ram. I will explain this more in the burna boyz section.

Transport:

-Nobs. Are better off in trukks or Battlewagons.

-Meganobs. Same as above.

-BurnaBoyz. A squad of 12 Burna boyz in a Wagon with Skorcha Big shoota Reinforced Ram and a mek or two with big shootas if you want those meks tools benefits. This is possibly one of the deadliest combinations around that you don’t see much of.

-Tankbustas. Looted wagon 2 rokkit launchas Reinforced ram Boarding plank 12 Tankbustas nob bosspole and either a tankhammer or power klaw or just bombs and a rokkit launcha..Less survivable than a Rokkit Battlewagon but cheaper.

-Lootas. Should never be put in a looted wagon as they are a firebase and the looted wagon is not. Dpd.

-Kommando’s can take a looted wagon but are better when outflanked and since the looted wagon is not a dedicated transport then they cannot outflank in a looted wagon making the point moot.

-Boyz should not be taking a looted wagon they have trukks with the same space. Unless you want it for  the skorcha to say burn an enemy off an objective but even then burna wagon is more likely to crisp everything then the boyz can follow up in their trukk.

-Gretchin. I guess if you really wanted 11 grots and a runtherd you could put them in a looted wagon as a speed bump.

Flash Gitz. Are a good choice 10 in a looted wagon with 2 big shootas reinforced ram put out plenty of shots but is unreliable due to Dpd.

Looted Wagon Load outs:

-Boomwagon: Boom gun Ard case 1-2 big shootas Reinforced Ram. Goodbye everything.

-Tankbusta Wagon: 2 Rokkit Launchas Boarding plank reinforced ram. Optional wrecking ball. 13-14 Rokkits and/or Power Klaw/ Tankhammer attacks. Goodbye armor.

-Burna Wagon: Skorcha 1-2 Big Shoota's Reinforced Ram. Alternatively you could use 1-2 Rokkit launchers with 1-3 meks with kmb and pop tanks and then fry the troops that are now vulnerable. 9-12 Burnas skorcha. Goodbye infantry.

-Transport Wagon: Reinforced Ram 2 Big shoota's skorcha. Optional Ard Case. This load out is great for last minute objective grabs or even just as a cheap combat support for other units.

-Gretchin Transport Wagon: Reinforced Ram 2 Big shoota's Skorcha. For last minute objective grabs. Dirt cheap.

-Flash git wagon: Reinforced Ram 2 Big shoota's. Optional skorcha. Cheap transport for an expensive devastating unit.

Delivery method of killy goodness.

-The boomwagon has decent range but not good enough to camp unless its a cc army your facing. Driving the looted wagon behind 30 ork boyz with a big mek is a sure way of keeping it more or less under control and safe from enemy fire while being mobile and in range. Even better is to run it surrounded by boyz and a deffdredd out in front. Personally I run 2 boomwagons and a skorcha wagon rolling up behind 2 units of 30 shoota boyz behind a deffdredd just in case a monstrous creature or a nasty unit decides to take interest.

-The tankbusta wagon is best used in a speed freak army where there are plenty of vehicles to keep the looted wagon in check and out of harms way. 2 units of trukk boyz are perfect for keeping dpd in check just have the trukks move as far as you want and the looted wagon will stop when it reaches them. This combination is also great for taking out armour just give all 3 boarding planks and wreak some havoc.

-The BurnaWagon is great for everything at anytime against any army in any situation. At most 12 cover ignoring shots is nothing to scoff at or even 36 or so power weapon attacks on the charge. Id like to see termies and monstrous creatures survive that. Having 2 trukks out in front until you want to put the hurt on something is a good way to keep it moving and under control. I run mine that way or behind my 2 boomwagons as a counter attack unit.

-The flash git wagon works best behind a mob of 30 shoota boyz with kff taking on a mobile support role that can kill just about anything reliably except vehicles. Terminators? pass all those saves? not likely. Infantry is like bullets into nutella. MC's will be turned into swiss cheese by the sheer amount of firepower. This is best as a hit and evade support unit 24 inch lethal range is really where this unit should stay softening up targets for your other units to tank shock/ assault.

Looted Wagon Conversion Ideas.

-Boomwagons can be represented by anything really but the tanks I prefer are Vindicator's Basilisk's and demolishers with kustomised guns ie extra length or width.

-Skorchawagons are probably some of my favourite conversions because I use hellhounds and they certainly look the part. Alternatively you could use a Baal predator to mock those whiny bloodsuckers.

Please feel free to correct or add as needed.
Looted Wagons have been one of my favorite units being a Blood Axe and all so I use them frequently. Even still I may have missed something or gotten something wrong please let me know. Thanks for reading. I appreciate all the input so far looking foreward to more ;D .

edit: stats.
edit: Big shootas, Looted Wagon Load outs.
edit: cons, Delivery method.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:21:37 PM by The Harbinger »
To krump? or to dakka? THAT is the question.

Offline Teej

• Orkscribe
  • I know where da best fightin' iz
Re: Looted Wagon Tactica
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
Aside from a little grammatical error here and there, you have a pretty good start.

Maybe you could expand on the different variants of Looted Wagons. For instance list what gear works well together on a Tankbusta Wagon, as opposed to a straight up wargear breakdown.

The only part I think bears mentioning is the big shootas will stop a second weapon destroyed from becoming immobilized. It can't save the Boomgun as the attacker gets to chose which gun comes off. There is a good example for putting 2 Big shootas on a transport to increase its effectiveness, whereas it is moot as you so keenly put it earlier, on a Boomwagon

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »
Normally I don't move my boomwagons.  I put a squad of something cheap in front of them so that they do not move if they roll a one for the DPD rule.

As such, if you were planning on using the boomgun and want to be static, I would drop all upgrades except the hardcase as it will give you a better chance of keeping the boom gun working.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
Looks like a great start to a good tactica.

Some things to add; how to use them. You touched lightly on the tactics, however I feel that you need to add a little more.

For example: When using the LW to transport the tank bustas, start in the protective umbrella of the KFF mek, then move 6" a turn (making sure to threaten dice before rolling) and if you do roll a don't press dat then the tank bustas can always dismount to get their shots in if you left it open topped.

Or: When taking a load of burna boys and giving the LW a skorcha, make sure to move towards the largest enemy infantry squad, and when you get there one heavy flamer (or two if you bought them) and 12 flamer templates will definitly put a hurt on the enemy squad. Expect it to die next turn as I have found that once an opponent sees what devastation the burna boys can do to his army it quickly moves to the top of his target priority list.

Now what I wrote is just a bare bones "how to" and you are free to copy and paste and add more stuff to it.

So IMO it needs a fleshing out of the tactica, as what is there is more like an intro to LW rather than a tactica.

Good effort, hope to see more of the tactica, make sure to post when you update it so I can read it again.

OH, and 2 teef for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline The Harbinger

• Ork Boy
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »
I have made some additions please tell me what you think.
To krump? or to dakka? THAT is the question.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »
Looking Better  8)

Keep adding, a few more paragraphs on the load out(s) would be good.

Next, touch on what to use for a looted wagon. Sure it has the stats of a rhino, but  you do not have to use the rhino model. Of course you can if you wish to, but there are other models that can be used. So maybe touch a little on what else can be used and some of the definite signs of an orky vehicle.

Good job so far, I'm liking it.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
Nice tactica!  I think you are sugar-coating the unit a little, though.  Just my thoughts:

Other big negatives of the looted wagons are 1.  losing an entire HS slot and 2. not a fast vehicle  3. weapons are not synergistic at all.  That HS slot is a huge deal, and the reason I don't field my looted wagons.  Being slow means these are not ideal transports for anything that is short ranged or melee (ie nearly everything).  A very specialized transport that is directly competing with battlewagons.  Why should you take a looted wagon over a battlewagon?

Looted wagons are more attractive in small pts lists where you can't afford to max out HS/afford battlewagons.  In larger games, it hurts skipping large battlewagon mobs and kan squadrons.

The gun options don't work very well together.  Boomgun is ordnance, none of the guns are defensive.  So you're only firing 1 gun while moving slow.  Skorcha is probably not going to be fired while stationary.  I'd rather take the wreckin ball/grabbin klaw/plank plus skorcha and actually move 12" a turn.  Or just the boomgun. 

Pros:
Actually any friendly models can stop the DPD! movement, doesn't have to be a vehicle.  For boomwagons, you might as well just put lootas or shoota boyz in front of them and form a gunline.

Can be modelled however you want.  So your 3 guns can be modelled with 360 LOS, or make the wagon extremely large to boost KFF range even more than a battlewagon. 

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Good start, but I've some things I disagree with/want to address.

The one thing that really drives me nuts is that over and over and over again your wagons have 2-3 guns.  Yet the setups you describe will always be moving, none of the guns are defensive, and so at most you'll be firing 1 of them each turn.  Assuming 2 penetrating hits (only AV 11 after all, so those are easy to come by), you only have a 2.7% chance of getting 2 weapon destroyed... and there is an 88% chance that you will have already been immobilized, been wrecked, or been blown up instead.  And every additional hit after those first two moves the odds farther in favor of the immobilized/wrecked/blown up category. One gun and go on every setup you described in my opinion -- mind, I can think of a couple of setups you missed where I would use 2 (pair of big shoota on a loota pillbox for example).

Reinforced ram: Why do you prioritize it so highly?  If you aren't DPDing, you can avoid terrain.  On the 1 in 6 change that DPD fires, assuming you are facing terrain (and with just a little work it shouldn't be that hard to avoid that) you still only have a 1 in 6 chance of getting immobilized.  So even assuming your wagon is facing terrain within 12" 100% of the time and never has any units in between to control the DPD, you will still only run into a problem once every 6 games.  5 points better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

Transport wagon: Should never have a 'ard case, since it removes the option of move then assault.  In theory it makes it more survivable, but survivable on an AV 11 vehicle is mostly a joke anyways, and its not worth the sacrifice of the assault ability.

Boarding plank: Minor, but I wouldn't say only tankbusters.  Anything with a power klaw is a better way to approach it, since while many of the core pk units have their own better transport options, they might end up in a wagon anyways in the course of a game, and I can think of any number of times/ways where I might end up with an HQ IC in a wagon with another unit.

Lootas: I disagree entirely!  35 points and your loota unit just gained complete (if temporary) immunity to incoming fire and assaults.  Yes, it carries the risk of several things that could keep your lootas from firing, but 'no shoot' beats 'dead' hands down.  A looted wagon as a pillbox for lootas can be a great choice if you have the heavy support slots to spare.