News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Loota Unit Size  (Read 2154 times)

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
  • For the emperor! ummmm...waarrrgh?
Loota Unit Size
« on: September 6, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
Just curious in a 2000 point game (with my core army of footslogging sluggaz)  am I better off with 12 lootaz or splitting them up into 2 groups of 6?  Then I could divide their attacks between two units.  Should I be worried about them being cut down and running off the map in groups of 6?

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
Re: Loota Unit Size
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2010, 04:08:02 PM »
With 6, it only takes 2 dead and they are running.  2 dead orks is to shooting is not a hard thing for pretty much any army to handle.  Now, I'm a fan of 2 units of 12 so you can hit 2 targets.  But 12 vs 2 6s, I'll take the 12 any day.  But I wouldn't use a unit of 6 under almost any situation.

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
  • For the emperor! ummmm...waarrrgh?
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
heh ya i figured as much.  I know i want another 12 of those bad boyz.  Thanks for the quick advise.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
I definately agree.  Two units of 6 the only real benefit is being able to target two different targets.   It is a lot easier to make them have to take a morale check, you have to have two open fire lanes, and two positions of cover for them.  Not to mention that it is harder to defend two units and can be two fairly easy KP's. 

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
I've found that two units of 10 usually get the job done.  Yes on most games one of them breaks and runs away, but not before they've done a good amount of damage.  Units this size are usually easy to get into a prime piece of Terrain real estate and with 2 units you can place them on opposite sides of the table where they create fire lanes.

I would only use a unit of 6 if I had 3 units of them and playing in a Cityfight game where they'd have ample cover and probably be able to avoid LoS from the majority of enemy shooting.  Nevertheless even then I'd be hesitant to use so few in a unit.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2010, 07:15:56 PM »
I've played around with the idea of taking fewer lootas, and putting them in a looted wagon (stripped down).  They would need to crack the wagon before they could work on the lootas.  I've only tested it once, and although they still broke the wagon to get the lootas, they couldn't do it with small arms fire and had to waste a rokkit or two that let my battle wagon get further.

You run the risk of "don't press that" but if you are playing orks, you probably like playing the odds anyway.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
Well remember that the Lootas can't shoot out of a Looted Wagon if its moving (unless you are playing Apoc and have paid for the Loota Wrecking Crew Datafax).  Also Lootawagons can't transport if they have the Boomgun attached, which from my opinion is the real reason you'd want a Lootawagon in the firstplace.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
I've used 15 in a stationary battlewagon with a kannon and 4 big shootas a number of times and have invariably been pleased with it.  In maybe a dozen games I've lost the battlewagon 3 times I believe, and never had the unit fall below 11 lootas, while their overall kill tally has been very impressive indeed (I know one game where they claimed 6 kans, a deffdredd, and maybe 30 boyz).  I don't know that they've consistently earned their points back in kills, but they also tend to draw a lot of anti-tank fire when used that way, which is a bonus in its own right when I'm running a mech list.  I like to snuggle them in or next to some nice area cover on one flank (or two when possible) so my foes face either the front AV 14 or a 12 with a cover save and its proven nicely survivable.  And if the board is large enough that the battle shifts completely away from their position, the added mobility of the ride is nice for reaching a new firing position.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
I'd agree with the boomgun on the lotted wagon, but they are cheapo points wise, and to have a "shell" around my lootas it's often worth it.  I could never drop the 90 pts on the BW, because I tend to send it forward to often, and 90+ pts on a stationairy wagon seems harsh. 

Although....three wagons with 15 lootas each, with a KFF mek in the middle one....that is one hell of a firing platform...and a list I might try next time I play :) so alrighty then.

Offline rosvojaska

• Only a coward seeks compromise.
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
In a game of 2000 you'll need more than 12 lootas.

About the squad sizes, you need to remember than 3 x 5 units of lootas take 3 enemy units to kill, whereas one unit of 15
*can* get killed by a single enemy unit in a single round of firing if you're extremely unlucky. Also, it takes 3 enemy units to tie all of the 5 groups into CC rather than just one scouting or infiltrating unit. You can also make it pretty hard for the enemy to refuse a flank by deploying one group in both corners of your deployment zone. You can also land side shots pretty much quaranteed that way.

Multiple small units wreck much more carnage on the field, but are easier to scare away. On the other hand, losing only one out of three units means that you'll still have lootas shooting. Ofcourse, three units of 15 would be the best  8)