News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Points - Competitive Light Vehicle Spam  (Read 1843 times)

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
1000 Points - Competitive Light Vehicle Spam
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »
Right you rabble  ;D, this got one reply last time I posted it  >:(, so could you please scrub your brains and give me a few comments and criticisms.

I thought of this whilst sleep-deprived in a flash of brilliance, I hope anyway. I had been looking at starting a pure Sisters of Battle army and this will hopefully be my 1k list depending on comments and alterations from everybody. This is not a very friendly list and should be very difficult for several armies to face - those not expecting that amount of armour for one thing.

So without further ado:

HQ/

Canoness w/ Bp, Book, Eviscerator                  @76

w/ 5x Celestian w/2x melta, Immolator, Smoke, EA  @158

Troops/

(2) 10x Battle Sister w/Flamer, Heavy Flamer,         @205(410)
                             VSS, Book, Rhino, Smoke, EA

Heavy Support/

2x Exorcist, Dozer Blade                                  @280

Immolator w/ Smoke, Extra Armour                       @73

Summary/

10 KPs, 6 Vehicles, 5 Faith, 32 Models, 2 Scoring Units

I will try and post tactics, or at least unit roles later but it's all fairly obvious. One change worth considering is changing the armament of the empty Immolator to a multi-melta. Something nasty I thought of was (for Veteran's night) is squeezing in a 3rd Exorcist  ;D - (Lose Empty Immo, Eviscerator, Swap the Heavy Flamers to Flamers and lose the extra armour everywhere).

Thank you for any replies, Cleansing Flame   
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:20:05 PM by Cleansing Flame »
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: 1000 Points - Competitive Light Vehicle Spam
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »
Seems like a decent and pretty solid army. I'm a fan of Immolators myself...

The only suggestion I would have is to get dozer blades on the Exorcists instead of extra armour. That way they can hide in terrain without immoblising themselves...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
Thank you Hymirl *Facepalms* - I even planned on the dozer blades... that's easy enough to fix, thank you. What do you think of a 3rd Exorcist? Or is it just overkill ... Others please comment - even if only to say 'solid list'. Regards, and thank you, Flame

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »
You don't need a third exorcist. The list looks solid. Everyone's got a job to do.

I like immolators too; I field one with a TL multimelta instead of a second exorcist.

The empty immolator can drive in front and screen your more valuable vehicles.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:13:20 PM by objectionator »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »
I'd consider three exorcists a bit harsh in 1500 point games, let alone an army this size. And I thought long and hard about alternative weapons on immolators but frankly, they all seem to involve paying points to make them less good at killing stuff...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »
Yeah I thought about a Multi-Melta Immolator - and it would only be 15 points more - if I didn't bother with EA (I could just lose some extra armour - or the Eviscerator - and keep the EA). What do you think? (Open to anybody). This, combined with the melta Celestians, would be enough to take care of any Land Raiders, Ironclads - stuff Exorcists can't deal with effectively .

Thank you for your view Hymirl - my LGS has an interesting blend of cheese. noobs, and really fantastic veterans - not necessarily hardcore gamers, but really fun to play against, very respectful, and of all ages so the 3rd Exorcist would only be for tournies/powergamers (I do a little tourney playing myself).

The empty immolator can drive in front and screen your more valuable vehicles.

Just what I was thinking - thanking you for confirming the validity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:57:37 PM by Cleansing Flame »

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »
You could downgrade one exorcist to a MM immolator and use the extra 50 points to make your celestians tougher: add a veteran with an eviscerator and a cloak to your canoness (or an imagifer, or combi flamer/melta on your basic sisters). However, long range anti tank is crucial against mechanized enemies since you don't have meltaguns in your battle sisters squads.

Edit: Added numbers!

In case you are curious about the relative effectiveness of the immolator vs the exorcist, here's some probabilities I computed when shooting at closed topped vehicles in the open. Pr is the chance to get at least one roll on the damage table and Pd is the chance to get at least one kind of vehicle destroyed result. When the immolator gets in melta range, it is comparably good to the exorcist (and downright better against AV13-14).

Appendix: Selected Battle Sisters Anti-Tank Weapons, Pr/Pd
Armor Value:         1011121314
Exorcist Launcher         87%/58%80%/48%70%/37%55%/23%32%/6%
Immolator with TLMM (short)   89%/44%86%/42%81%/38%74%/34%64%/28%
Immolator with TLMM (long)   74%/32%59%/25%44%/17%30%/10%15%/2%
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:03:08 PM by objectionator »

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
Thank you Objectionator, but no thank you :P. The 2 Exorcists are definitely needed for MEQ opponents and targettiing rhinos, etcetera, from afar.

Those stats were interesting but the main consideration is that the MM Immolator only 'beats' the Exorcist within 12 inches - and it should do being a melta weapon. That an Exorcist has a maximum range of double that of a multi-melta - and is more effective until the enemy gets within a quarter of its range, and is a little more versatile - having multiple shots (as well as having armour 13), clinches it for me.

Anyway, the Canoness is only really there for Faith and a slight insurance policy for the Melta Celestians- the Celestian Squad is simply cheap and cheerful - taking out Land Raiders, Ironclads, Soul Grinders - I don't want to spend points there at all.

Sorry, I know it was just a suggestion but hey, *shrugs* - I'll keep the Exorcist.

Do you think, however, it would be worth giving one of the Immolators (and state which one - I guess either with Celestians because it compliments their weaponry - but then again the Flamer prevetns 'point sinkage' - and gives versatility, or the empty one - because that is less likely to be targetted - being empty - and may bag a Vehicle or two...) a Multi - Melta?

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:34:25 AM »
I would give the empty one a multimelta, as it will want to slow down and shoot once it gets within 12", while the HF one can rocket towards the enemy, unload its cargo, and still shoot.

Suit yourself! I only own one exorcist anyway, so I have to field the MM immolator. The key information in the table is that meltaguns in melta range are by far the most reliable antitank for AV13+ (although delivery may be a problem).

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Not to be rude but the multi-melta immolator is a terrible unit compared to the excorcist. Less likely to deal damage, easier to kill and has to work much harder to get in range in the first place... no thanks.

Offline Galadhar

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Exorcists are fantastic tanks. They is what they is.  That's why taking 3 of them to friendly games is often frowned upon. No one would would be that upset if you took 3 MM Imolators at 1500pts.

Putting a multi melta on an Imolator is not a bad idea though, I just wouldn't take one over an Exorcist. It is worth it if you decide that you don't want the celestians with the meltas and would drather give the Cannie a jump pack and let her go tank killing while your MM Imolator melts something else.

Sorry, I'm off topic. That's a really solid list at 1000pts. good luck!   :)   too many vehicles for anyone to know what to do!    ;)

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
I was just wondering whether it might be an idea to change the list to something like this:

HQ/

Canoness w/ Bp, Book                  @51

w/ 5x Celestian w/2x melta, Immolator, Smoke @153

Troops/

10x Battle Sister w/Flamer, Flamer,         @194
                        VSS, Book, Rhino, Smoke

10x Battle Sister w/Flamer, Flamer,         @194
                        VSS, Book, Rhino, Smoke

5x Stormtrooper w/ 2x Melta/Plasma       @70

Heavy Support/

Exorcist                                  @135

Exorcist                                  @135

Immolator w/ Smoke                @68

Loses all extra armour, the Eviscerator, and changed all Heavy Flamers to flamers.

Gains a third scoring choice - 2 more meltas. The Stormtroopers can sit on a home objective with plasma, or jump in the Immolator with melta. Is it worth it? If I just make it double flamer, the Battle Sisters could keep their Heavy Flamer, or get a melta each.

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline PIN_H34D

• we kill, because we can
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
the list i use in 1000 pts game is as follows:

cannoness- 115 pts
jump pack,book, cloak, evis

Troop- 215 pts
9 sisters: flamer, heavy flaimer
vet sister sup:book, cc wep,combi-melta
Rino: smoke launchers

Troop- 215 pts
9 sisters: flamer, heavy flaimer
vet sister sup:book, cc wep,combi-melta
Rino: smoke launchers

Fast atack- 201
4 seraphim: 2x twin hand flaimers
vet sister sup:book,Eviscerator, plasma pistol

Heavy- 143 pts
Exorsist: smoke, armor

Heavy- 143 pts
Exorsist: smoke, armor

unless there is a Land raider i havent really had a problem with this list at all, the EX take care of there armor, and the serph and canni help out, sometimes ther serph help the sisters units take out infantry... my friend plays CSM and so far have done really well
Murder, death, that is my entertainment

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
Umm, I'd rather have a critique on my list than have yours posted. Unless I understand it wrong you've only played games versus CSM with your friend... My list, by losing upgrades, and changing Seraphim out fits 2 more Vehicles in... Combi-meltas are too expensive for a 1 time shot - why don't you take Heavy Flamer, Melta, Combi-Flamer - seeing as flamers only get fired 1 to 2 times a game...

I don't meen to be rude, but I don't need your list thank you.

Everybody else, I'm not going to bother with the alternate list, loses too many vital upgrades for a mechanised list.

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline PIN_H34D

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
Umm, I'd rather have a critique on my list than have yours posted. Unless I understand it wrong you've only played games versus CSM with your friend... My list, by losing upgrades, and changing Seraphim out fits 2 more Vehicles in... Combi-meltas are too expensive for a 1 time shot - why don't you take Heavy Flamer, Melta, Combi-Flamer - seeing as flamers only get fired 1 to 2 times a game...

dude you dont have to be a jerk about it, i was trying to give my advice... what i recomend... no need to be a jerk about it guy...

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
I think you are better off keeping the eviscerator on the canoness. Then at least one unit can fight in hand to hand. Once they get bogged down and you use spirit of the martyr it would be nice to know that they will eventually chop their way out of trouble.

If you want more troops, drop an exorcist and the immolator for another squad of sisters in a rhino (perhaps with meltaguns to replace lost antitank). However, then you will have fewer light vehicles and less long range firepower.

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »
Apologies PINHEAD, check your messages. Anybody else have views on the first list? Thank you Objectionator. Confirmed doubts in my mind. Eviscerator is very useful versus Dreads/Soulgrinders I fail to melta. Extra armour is crucial. 1st list it is.

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
Extra armour you can live without but at 5 points I'd go for it, its worth the points. I wouldn't give up the heavy flamers or the cannoness's evisoractor for love nor money..

Offline PIN_H34D

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »
IMO in not a fan of the melta, h Flamer  combi flamer choice mainly b/c (again this is my experience/opinion, i dont only fight CSM and Tau its just who i mainly fight) the combi melta is the just in case choice, on average i fire my flaimers about 2-4 times a game, so constant flame is my friend, my serphs, cannoness, and EX if they are doing there job right then i usually dont have to worry about armor much, my sisters usually never get close enough to the armor for me to justify droping a flamer for a melta, the combi is for the "oh crap thats Dred is a little close" type thing... with that being said, i have not tried the melta, H Flamer, combi flamer setup... i may have to try it... but thinking about it, i prefer what my setup is now, each flamer on average kills 2-4 MEQ's per shot with rending... maybe its b/c with normal dice i have nice luck... thats just my opinion n y ways

Offline Quasarcq

• Ork Boy
  • Lord Nautilus, Master of the Sea Stallions
« Reply #19 on: April 2, 2009, 01:08:27 PM »
The first list looks pretty sold. Something I'd even like to try.

Tactics is probably the key in this list. Take advantage of vehicles screening vehicles. The forward one uses smoke while the ones behind don't have too yet. Just be sure if the lead vehicle pops you have enough room to get around it.

I don't find dozers that important as they were in 4th, but it may really have to do with knowing your LGSs terrain I guess. but with smaller games it may be hard to figure out what to do with extra points. In this case I'd say keep those dozers, you never know.