News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death Company Tactica?  (Read 642 times)

Offline spiny echidna

• "It might be the beer talking, but I love beer."
Death Company Tactica?
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
I am converting my small codex marines army into BA and I really want to write up a good list with tactics in mind before I buy the rest and build everything.

Has there been any good Death Company Tactica already written? Or BA tactica you could point me towards?

If not can someone please lay out some of the basics for me:
Seems like Rage is the most difficult aspect to deal with, potentially making a expensive elite group uncontrollable. Is using a transport the best way around this?
Load out with bolt pistol or bolters to take advantage of rellentless?
How best to use DC with other troops?

Thanks for any help in advance.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:51:13 PM by spiny echidna »
Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Death Company Tactica?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
The best way to use DC in my experience (and how I use them) is to take 8-10 in a storm raven with Chappy/Reclusiarch/Lemartes with a Fist, and 2-3 PWs. A LR can be an alternative, but I prefer the speed of the Raven (also see a lot of dark lances and meltas anyway). You definitely need a transport as a smart player will counter them too easily with rage.

While relentless bolters seem like a good idea, they tend not to be in practice for DC. Using bolters means you plan to walk for a round of two. As such the enemy can rage kite you. Also, if you are close enough to shoot and assault, you are MUCH better off shooting pistols and assaulting with the extra attacks. While mathematically, it is the same total amount of possible wounds (pistols+extra attack = bolters+less attacks) you have to consider the fact that chappys give them rerolls to hits (WS5 means hitting on 3s usuall) AND wounds (FC means you wound T4 on 3s as well) in combat. This gives you a much higher potential of actual wounds in CC than you do with bolters.

I suggest a few PWs and a Fist to make sure they get some punch. I'll stick the special weapons on an IC to make sure they feel some heat. Fist helps with Dreads, MCs, and in case you get stuck raging towards a vehicle at some point.

People get a little confused when they see DC in the troops section. Just because they use that FOC, I do not treat them as such. To me, they are an "elite" unit and should be used in the same way you would use other supporting units. I tend to use them to spear head for my list and absorb fire, damage, and attention. Rip up and weaken as much as they can as my assault squads move in behind to clean up and claim objectives.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
I play them very similar to partninja, a transport is a must. The jump packs are useful but are so hideously expensive that they are can't really be taken IMO.

I've seen some people droppod them in with bolters but I think the stormraven is a much better option, it gets them to the enemy fast and it can carry lemartes who is great for his points. A reclusiarch is good if you need to fit the HQ slot but I fine lemartes really killy with his super high Init and once he's wounded he's a monster.
Again as partninja said always take a fist to deal with dreads and vehicles.

I use my squad in a raven in two tactical roles.
First is the standard charge forward with the rest of a very assault oriented arm and get stuck in.
Second is as a counter assault force in a more shooty army. Leave them in reserve whilst your shooty army blows holes in the enemy then a couple of turns in when the enemy gets close they fly in from reserve and assault whatever is threatening your gunline.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:09:11 AM by WisdomLS »

Offline spiny echidna

• "It might be the beer talking, but I love beer."
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
Ok, just read the entry for the Storm Raven for the first time.  That is a killer vehicle, but pricy ($ & point).  I can pretty much go Storm Raven or Land Raider.  As cool as the Storm Raven is, the Raider might be the better choice for me as I mostly play against Orks, and they dont have much to pen 14arm. However, Lemartes is dope and I take it you can't just opt to take off his JP...
For now I will work on a smaller list using what I have right now. Learn how the Death Co play, either from a DP or a Rhino/Razor and come back to working on the 1500p list after Ive played a few games with the BA.
Thanks for all the advice ninja, and all.
I will be back for more.
Before you criticize someone you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
Drop podding DC are a total waste compared to other options. Giving them bolters makes them no more powerful than a tactical squad when they get out (they can't assault until next turn). Less when shooting pistols. This gives your opponent a turn to shoot them with things that can negate their FnP (or only give you FnP)or set you up for a rage kite. Tacticals would do the same thing cheaper. For a similar cost to DC you can take Sternguard with combi weapons and rape any target after the drop. Also consider the other options do not require a Chappy to get the most use out of them so that is another large points saving.

Rhinos can be ok, as long as you have lots of other vehicles to take attention away. Even then, a smart player will throw a few long range AT weapons at it to stop their advance. Also, not being an assault vehicle, can make it tricky to set up an assault (at least, on the target you want).

In reality, for 1500pt games and lower DC aren't a good unit to bring without creating weaknesses elsewhere.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »
However, Lemartes is dope and I take it you can't just opt to take off his JP...

Squads move at the speed of the lowest model so he only really affects what type of transport your using, and if you go with the above suggestions of a raven then it doesn't matter.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)