News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Biel-Tan Craftworld Army List (2nd of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
After re-writing my Ulthwe themed army list, I decided that I'd like to do a themed list for each of the five major Craftworlds.  Where better to continue this project than with my own Craftworld?  I'll actually be posting TWO army lists here (hey, Biel-Tan is my home, so they deserve more attention than the rest.  ;) ).  One is slightly more competitive, while the other is intended to fit the theme a little better.

(140) Autarch w/ Jetbike, Mandiblasters, Laser Lance & Fusion Gun.

(145) Farseer w/ Doom, Fortune, Runes of Warding & Spirit Stones.

(192) Howling Banshees x10.  Exarch w/ Executioner, Acrobatic & Warshout.

(145) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Bright Lances & Spirit Stones.

(212) Striking Scorpions x10.  Exarch w/ Scorpion’s Claw, Shadowstrike & Stalker.

(167) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Dual Catapults, Bladestorm & Defend.

(177) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Power Weapon, Shimmershield, Bladestorm & Defend.

(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.

(252) Shining Spears x5.  Exarch w/ Star Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Skilled Rider & Withdraw.

Total: 1992 points
52 Infantry, 6 Jetbikes, 4 Vehicles
3 Scoring Units, 12 Kill Points

(140) Jetbike Autarch w/ Mandiblasters, Laser Lance & Fusion Gun.

(187) Howling Banshees x10.  Exarch w/ Executioner & Acrobatic.

(110) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons & Spirit Stones.

(212) Striking Scorpions x10.  Exarch w/ Scorpion’s Claw, Shadowstrike & Stalker.

(152) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Dual Catapults & Bladestorm.

(177) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Power Weapon, Shimmershield, Bladestorm & Defend.

(110) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons & Spirit Stones.

(217) Shining Spears x4.  Exarch w/ Star Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Skilled Rider & Withdraw.

(132) Swooping Hawks x5.  Exarch w/ Skyleap.

Total: 1999 points
52 Infantry, 5 Jump Infantry, 5 Jetbikes, 4 Vehicles
3 Scoring Units, 13 Kill Points

As you can see, the two lists are very similar.  In case you are unsure, the first list is ment to be more competitive because it has more anti-armor capability (vital in the current meta) and one less Kill Point available to the opponent in Annihilation battles.  Meanwhile, the second list is a little more fluffy, because it includes an additional squad of Aspect Warriors, raising the total number of Aspect Shrines represented to five.

Army Design Concept:

Biel-Tan armies are well known for the abundance of Aspect Warriors they bring to the battlefield, who combine their spectrum of skills to annihilate their foes.  Not only did I strive to adhere to that concept, I also returned to my roots as an Eldar player with these lists.  Since the release of 5th edition, my army lists have relied heavily on special characters and/or Wraithguard, neither of which appear anywhere in this list.  This is also the first time in a long while that I've included any Fast Attack units in my army, something I used to do frequently.

Strategy:

The core strategy remains the same, regardless of which of these lists is being employed.  The Bahzhakhain is allegedly the most aggressive of all Eldar armies, and this army is ment to be played aggressively.  Though I prefer to see where my opponent's units are going to be deployed before having to decide where to place my own units, I actually would not mind going first with this army.  If I go first, I will attempt to cripple as much of his army as possible early, before he can get any use out of the units I target.  I may also consider deploying my units in a dispersed formation, encouraging my opponent to do the same.  If he follows my example, I'll then use my superior speed to shift my forces into a favorable position for isolating and destroying his units piecemeal.  If I go second, my plan will depend on the opponent's deployment.  If he scatters his units across his deployment zone, I'll deploy my units in a refused flank, and I'll probably try to sieze the initiative.  If he goes for the "Turtle" strategy, I may just hold my units in reserve, wasting his first two turns by denying him any targets.  When my units arrive, I'll deploy behind cover, far from his formation, in order to tempt him to come after me.  I'll then try to string him out before striking hard at his lead element.

The Howling Banshees, Shining Spears, and the attached HQ's are the core of the assault force.  Their job is to single out the toughest, most expensive unit in the opponent's army, and cripple it in the first round of combat, destroying it in the following turn in order to avoid being shot up.  By taking out his strongest unit early, I hope to demoralize the opponent and cause him to go into "panic mode", which will lead to poor decision making and an easier victory for me.  Meanwhile, my troops will take out his softer elements, primarily through the use of drive by shooting attacks.  Their transports will be used to block his counter-assaults, as well as adding their own firepower to the mix.  Meanwhile, the Striking Scorpions will be infiltrated into position to assist the troops or the heavy assault team.  Thankfully, because infiltrators deploy last, I'll have a good idea of where they need to go, and can deploy them accordingly.  If the second list is being used, the Swooping Hawks will primarily be using the "Yo-Yo" manuver to drop large blast templates on any infantry they can catch exposed, while denying the enemy any opportunity to retaliate until after my 5th turn.

I welcome any comments you might have (Moc, Gutstikk, feel free to rate if you like), but I am not seeking suggestions for improvement, as I consider this to be a finished product.

C.S.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:59:04 PM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline longshanks

• TA1776
Re: Biel-Tan Craftworld Army List (2nd of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
It's quite clear and concise there Chaplain...Nice work. ;)

However, 1 point I'd like to point out is that you haven't really elaborated on Objective based games.

I often find that 3 Scoring units for a 2000pt game to be, well, insufficient...And lets face it no plan survives contact with the enemy....lol :D

I mean, I run 3 in a 1500pt game and still end up struggling sometimes.

What would be your Tatics there?

ARTE ET MARTE - "By Skill and By Fighting"
"History will be kind to me, because I intend to write it..."

« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
I see what you mean... my tactical analysis was primarily about destroying the enemy.  I guess Khaine's fury was flowing through me as I wrote that.  ;)

Truthfully, my tactics would not change much.  None of the units in this army are built to remain on an objective for a protracted period of time; therefore I'd most likely take a "Kill 'em first, clean up after" stance.  Wear down the opponent as quickly as possible, then grab/contest objectives in the final turns of the game.  This approach is not without risk, but its the best answer I can give you.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline longshanks

• TA1776
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »
I guess Khaine's fury was flowing through me as I wrote that.  ;)

Know that feeling all to well, but its normally when I'm losing and Im not refering to beating his army either...  lmao.

I suppose keeping your DA/SG in their WS's as long a possible would help with last minute objective grabbing...I'm just worried that if you have/forced to commit them elsewhere you may be left with 0/1/2 scoring units.

But as you so rigtly said. "Its not without Risk".

Overall, the lists' seem quite solid and you know what your doing...So..

"For the Bahzhakhain, Brother!"
« Last Edit: October 4, 2009, 07:56:39 AM by longshanks »

ARTE ET MARTE - "By Skill and By Fighting"
"History will be kind to me, because I intend to write it..."

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2009, 04:30:32 AM »
Chaplain, two Biel-Tan lists and no Avatar?   What gives?  ;) maybe it is just a typing error that he got omitted...  I like the list though and like seeing aspect warriors fielded and painted in their aspect colors.  Makes a very bold looking army on the field. 

I can see though that these are very mech build lists so an Avatar wouldn't really fit but I was thinking more fluff wise.

« Last Edit: October 7, 2009, 04:38:06 AM by angel of death 007 »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: October 7, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »

(140) Autarch w/ Jetbike, Mandiblasters, Laser Lance & Fusion Gun.

(192) Howling Banshees x10.  Exarch w/ Executioner, Acrobatic & Warshout.

(167) Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Dual Catapults, Bladestorm & Defend.

(252) Shining Spears x5.  Exarch w/ Star Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Skilled Rider & Withdraw.

Total: 1992 points
52 Infantry, 6 Jetbikes, 4 Vehicles
3 Scoring Units, 12 Kill Points

I put the list into working groups as it helps me rate the list and see the tactics, etc.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential; 4 BL toting Serpents makes for pretty decent ranged anti-tank... not to mention the Spear unit, the Scorpions Claw that might come in from a flank, or the other subtle AT potential in there... Overall I think you got this mostly covered (see notes below)...so I rate it as Good 0.8.. Or very Good with the Autarch 0.9
2.. Anti-MEQ potential; Howling Banshees, Striking Scorpions, and Shining Speas (believe it) all have good potential to waste MEQ units... while the rest of the list actually supports their usage in this list.. Overall I think you have this area well covered and I rate it as Good 0.8
3.. Anti-Horde potential; The DA and Stormies might help; but you lack templates to be totally effective in this area. The mobility can help; but it must be used well to be effective.. Overall I rate this a Slightly Below Average 0.5
4.. Ranged Firepower potential; Nice for the BL's and a few other bits such as the DA; but its still a little light over all so once again I rate it as Slightly Below Average 0.5
5.. Assault potential; Three very serious Assault units and mehtods to get them in there along with supporting units... I think you got this are very well covered and I rate it as Very Good 0.9
6.. Scoring Units / point level; 3 scoring units at 2K can be a little light... but the Rides might help to keep them alive to score, so I still rate it as Average 0.6
7.. Durability or Resilience; The Serpents help; but Howling Banshee's can become one hit wonders, as do the Stromies.. the Spear also have their issues due to unit size... I still see some great potential if its used well though, so I rate it as Above Average 0.7.. Or good with the Option of more reserves with Autarch... 0.8
8.. Flexability; Flack Rush, Hammer and Anvil, Pincer, etc.. this is a seriously flexible list although an Autarch might have helped to up this are even one more level.. Overall though I rate it as Good 0.8.. Or very good with the Autarch added.. 0.9
9.. Mission Capabiliy; 12 KP's is decent, and the scoring/contesting potential is certainly there as well. So this area is rated as Good 0.8.. its 13 with the Autarch which is still good.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme; Bahzhakhain or "Most Aggressive" is what hit me first when I saw this list... and although it has a certain through back to the power lists of 4th Ed.. I do see this Aspect Heavy list as a very Biel-Tan feeling army; and man it would look sweet on the table. Thus I rate this list as Excellent for Theme 1.0

Rating = 7.7/10... Others might see this differently; but I see this as a Competitive list for most local games, and even smaller tournies... It is missing the Wham of a Power Gamer list; but its theme would have to be comprimised to attain that, and I would not want to see that. A good General would probably own most local games if they were to use this list.

Autarch added later as It was not there when I first quoted the list.... Rating adjusted as well.

Subtle Suggestions...
  • Add the Runes of Witness to the Farseer for the time you do go up vs other Eldar.
  • Drop the Warshoot from the Banshee Exarch, its near useless in todays meta game where most enemies have such decent LD.
  • Give the Stormies Warlock a Spear for some added Anti-tank for those crunch moments.

~~ Total would be 2000pts and it would work in the same manner overall.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:50:40 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

« Reply #6 on: October 8, 2009, 04:59:51 AM »
Chaplain, two Biel-Tan lists and no Avatar?   What gives?  ;) maybe it is just a typing error that he got omitted...  I like the list though and like seeing aspect warriors fielded and painted in their aspect colors.  Makes a very bold looking army on the field. 

I can see though that these are very mech build lists so an Avatar wouldn't really fit but I was thinking more fluff wise.

Fluff wise the Avatar would fit, but he's just too slow to keep up with the rest of the Army.  If I were going with a hybrid build, he'd have made the cut for sure.  ;)

@Moc:  Rate the first of the two lists.  In my opinion its the more competitive of the two.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:51:52 AM »
Rating Done above..

Nice list overall, and I would love to see this one in action... Oh and Algavinn would probably want to try it as well, since its theme is right up his alley. Best themed Bahzhakhain list I have seen in 5th Ed btw.

Cheers

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »
Just a quick note for you Moc,

There IS an Autarch in the list.  When I first typed it up I somehow copied and pasted the list without him in it, but if you add up the points for the units in your quotation, you'll see that its 140 points less than my 1992 total; the difference of course being the Autarch that's supposed to be there, and was edited back into the post after the fact.  ;)

So on line 8 "Flexibility", where you said the list would be even more flexible with an Autarch... well, he's there.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
Rating adjusted to include the Autarch... its now a 7.7 outa 10.. and still one of the best Aggressive Eldar lists for theme that I have seen in 5th Ed.

Cheers