News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Pts Eldar Task Force: The Spear of Khaine  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
2000 Pts Eldar Task Force: The Spear of Khaine
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:39:22 AM »
Hey guys,

In honor of the Big List of Eldar Lists being jumpstarted once again, I decided to post a new army list for inclusion.  I will be rating it myself, as objectively as I can, and I invite the other raters, moc and Gutstikk, to have a go at it as well, if they care to endulge me.  I am not asking for any suggestions for changes or improvements, as this is ment to be a "Final Draft", but comments are welcome regardless.

The Spear of Khaine:

HQ:

(210) Eldrad

(155) Yriel

Troops:

(396)  Wraithguard x10.  Spiritseer w/ Conceal.

(135) Storm Guardians x11 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.
(110) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons & Spirit Stones.

(60) Dire Avengers x5.  (Riding in the Falcon.)

Elites:

(113) Fire Dragons x6.  Exarch w/ Dragon Breath Flamer & Crack Shot.

(187) Striking Scorpions x10.  Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw.

Heavy Support:

(180) Falcon w/ Eldar Missile Launcher, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

(170) Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

(170) Fire Prism w/ Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

Total:

1996 points
3 Scoring Units, 12 Kill Points.

Background:

"The Spear of Khaine" evolved from my previous two lists posted on these boards, "The Dragon's Wrath" and the POC Biel-Tan competitive list entry for Gutstikk's project.  I wanted to take aspects I liked about each of those lists and blend them together into something even stronger, if a bit less fluffy.

As I envision it, the Spear of Khaine represents an amalgam of multiple Craftworld warhosts, joined together for a singular purpose:  The preservation of the Eldar race.  Realizing they are on the verge of extinction, the leaders of the various craftworlds have finally decided to set aside their differences for the sake of staving off that terrible fate.  They have recognized that only through such unification do they have any hope of preventing the final fall.

The Spear of Khaine is symbolic, not only of the unification of the Eldar people, but of the might of their combined warhosts.  They will be used as a weapon, thrust into the heart of any enemy daring enough to attack the Eldar.  With one swift blow, the Spear will smite those foolish enough to try.  Orks, Tyranids, foolish Mon-Keigh, and especially the forces of Chaos (to include the Dark Kindred) will be struck down if they come within reach of the Spear's mighty reach.

Strategy:

The Spear of Khaine will be employed in a modified "Hammer and Anvil" style.  Both independant characters will join the Wraithguard, providing them with a boost to their defensive capabilities (Fortune & Wound allocation) as well as offsetting their pathetic hand to hand abilities (Witchblade/Singing Spear attacks that ignore armor saves).  Additionally, this squad will be supported by the Striking Scorpions, who will trail behind them for cover (as well as being targets for Eldrad's second casting of Fortune) and counter-attack anything that engages the Wraithguard.

This core element will be supported by the heavy firepower of the dual Fire Prisms.  They will attempt to break up hordes of light infantry or reduce tougher opponents before they can reach the dismounted infantry.  They can additionally strike at exposed enemy vehicles if the opportunity presents itself.  The Prisms will serve as the bridging element between the "Hammer" and "Anvil".

The rest of the army will be mounted in skimmers, and most likely held in reserve.  This will force the opponent to waste time engaging only my toughest, most durable units, reducing his ability to inflict significant harm on the list as a whole.  The Dire Avengers will remain inside the Falcon at all cost, using its superior protection to preserve a scoring unit for last turn objective seizure.  The Fire Dragons and the Storm Guardians will look for "drive by" opportunities... seeking to maximize their damage output while attempting to minimize the risk of return strikes.  Each of those squads is configured for maximum destructive capability against their designated targets.

This list is a big change for me as a player.  I usually prefer a much heavier close combat element.  However, after countless discussions with moc, Gutstikk, Lazarus and others, I have come to believe that it is possible to build an effective list without focusing heavily on close combat.  I am not suggesting that close combat should ever be discounted entirely, but its impact on the game can be reduced. 

I have only two squads in this army that do not ride in transports.  Those squads are operating together for mutual support.  One is heavily oriented towards close combat, and the other features two characters that significantly boost its close combat effectiveness.  Working together, and supported by the rest of the army, I sincerely believe those squads will be able to fight their way through most opposition.

Additionally, if I am forced to deploy first, I plan on taking advantage of Eldrad's ability to redeploy units, by purposely deploying my squads out of position, most likely on one flank or the other.  By doing this, I can possibly lead my opponent into making some deployment errors, and then redeploy away from elements I want to keep away from my troops.  If this trick fails, I can still use Eldrad's ability to optimize my own deployment for whatever plan I decide to employ.

Rating for "The Spear of Khaine":

Durability:  1.5/2

This list will require considerable effort by the opponent to destroy.  Fragile units are kept out of harms way through a combination of armored transports and being held in reserve.  Durable units are reinforced with defensive upgrades, and kept away from potentially devestating enemy units through Eldrad's redeployment option.  The units mutually support each other in a way that enhances their collective survivability.

Flexibility:  1.5/2

This army has the ability to overcome unexpected setbacks, poor deployment, and surprises from the enemy.  There is enough redundency in the fuction of the various units that no task requires the application of one specific unit to see it accomplished.

Lethality:  1.5/2

This army will bring the pain.  Whether facing off against a horde, MEQ, or Armor heavy opponent, this list has the tools to inflict significant damage against those units.  Combined efforts from two or more units virtually assures the destruction of almost any target.

Mobility:  1.5/2

Mobility is an asset to this army.  The only component of this list that is not capable of moving 18 inches a turn, or applying pressure to an opponent more than 18" away, is so durable that it is all but guarenteed to remain intact until it does come within range.  As a whole, this army will be able to strike effectively against most enemy units, regardless of where they are positioned.

Synergy:  2/2

The biggest asset of this list is its synergy.  Scores in other areas rated by this system would probably be lower if not for how well the units in the list support each other.  Units that compliment each other are grouped together, and the groups have the ability to mutually support each other as well.  This enhances the strengths of the list and reduces its weaknesses.

Total:  8/10

Edit: 30 June 2009

It occured to me that 6 Fire Dragons will be just as effective at destroying a vehicle as 8, and that 8 will hardly survive any better than 6.  For this reason I decided to knock that squad down to 6, in favor of adding another Storm Guardian (since that squad will likely see combat) and putting Shuriken Cannons on the Fire Prisms, so they will still be useful even if my opponent manages to take off the Prism Cannon.

The Spear of Khaine's Battle Record: 1-0

1st Battle: vs the Mon-Keigh (IG & SM)
« Last Edit: July 1, 2009, 03:58:26 PM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 2000 Pts Eldar Task Force: The Spear of Khaine
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:11:34 PM »
I deliberately did not read your rating, etc... and as usual I will not suggest unit alterations etc, just point out the list as I see its potential as it is.

Hey guys,
The Spear of Khaine:

HQ:
(210) Eldrad
(155) Yriel

Troops:
(396)  Wraithguard x10.  Spiritseer w/ Conceal.
(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.
(60) Dire Avengers x5.  (Riding in the Falcon.)

Elites:
(135) Fire Dragons x8.  Exarch w/ Dragon Breath Flamer & Crack Shot.
(192) Striking Scorpions x10.  Exarch w/ Scorpion's Claw & Stalker.

Heavy Support:
(180) Falcon w/ Eldar Missile Launcher, Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.
(160) Fire Prism w/ Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.
(160) Fire Prism w/ Holo-Fields & Spirit Stones.

1995 Points, 3 Scoring Units, 12 Kill Points.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential Almost every unit has Anti-tank potential (and the Storm Guardians could have a Singing Spear to get a little better potential as well.. thus I think you pretty well covered all the bases in this regard with few alterations that wouol better it overal... and rate it as Good 0.8...
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Eldarad, Yriel, FD's, Wraithcannons, as well as a few nice tricks and twists... all combine to make some pretty serious Anti-Meq if you want it.. thus once again I think you covered the bases very well even if its not bogged down with AP=3 or better shooting, etc.. I still rate it is Good 0.8...
3.. Anti-Horde potential OR crwod Control as I like to call it, 2 Heavy Flamers, 2 Flamers, a good number of Pie Plates and/or cup cake covers going on... the minimal DA squad won't do much, and you will still have to watch to not get "Tarpitted" but once again you covered the bases pretty well, so I rate it is Good 0.8...
4.. Ranged Firepower potential OK, now there are some little items missing as I don't consider Shur-cannons as that great for ranged firepower, nor are the DA (since their so minimal)... all the rest of the shooting can be used very well and even those parts could be used if you plan well. So its not crap; but it could be improved without much disruption. I score it as Above Average 0.7...
5.. Assault potential Scorpions, Yriel, Eldrad... Maybe Wraithguard/stormies if your creative... so overall it has potential but it is a little light for a 2K list... Its shooting will help as it apears to be more of a late game Bloomer than a one-two punch list though... so overall I rate it at about Average 0.6...
6.. Scoring Units / point level 3 Scoring units, is not Amazing at 2K, its below average, even if you do make them as resilient as possible and use some techniques to spread out their capabilities... You will be pressured to remove enemy scoring units in order to out-score your opponent, so don't be fooled. 3 SU's can work; especaill the ones you picked, but you will be hard pressed if a guy guns for them. Thus I rate it as Slightly Below Average 0.5...
7.. Durability or Resilience Very durable and resilient, nice Fortune potential with good tough unit to start with, etc etc,... the nimimal DA squad is a soft spot (even with the Falcon), and the Serpents, so you will have to watch out for those spots... overall though I rate it as Above Average as it can have huge potential to last 0.7...
8.. Flexability Wraithguard are an Anvil, Scorpions can be many things, and the rest are small Pincers, Hammers, or Gangs as situations arise... it is ertainly flexible enough to deal with most enemies even if its a little predictable, so I rate it as Above Average 0.7...
9.. Mission Capabiliy I actually don't see it having issues with any of the missions or the deployments... this is a solid list that can adapt well and be used well in the 5th Ed envirornment... I have no suggestions to better its potential without altering its entire style, thsu I rate it as Very Good 0.9...
10. Dynamics and/or Theme The Op outright said its a modified POC list designed to unify some Eldar themes, and it does this well... I see some Ulthwe and Iyanden to go in with the strong Biel-Tan theme.. and its synergetic. Overall I can't really think of a way to make it much more of what the Op described originally... and as such I rate it as Excellent 1.0

Rating = 7.5/10 Some will score it differently, and some will think that I am being generous with some of my scores; but I see this as a list that if used well can be truely competitive. It is not a no-brainer list, it would take a few good playtest games to get the kinks worked out of it, and it could be made stronger (TL-BL's or TL-EML's instead of Cannons on teh Serpents, a Singing Spear for the Storm Warlock, Shadow Strike for the Scorpions, etc, etc... but these things all cost points, and the changes would alter the way the list would need to be played).

I wish you the best of luck with the list Chaplain Swordwind, and now I will go back and read your own rating and add this to the Big list of Eldar Lists.

CaHG
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:07:14 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Cyphorian

• Warhammer / Metal music / Bodybuilding / Manga= <3
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »
I like your list :)
Though I maybe find the ûber squad being a bit too cheesy maybe :D But well.. you're following the rules so who can blame ya :)

Im not a big fan of guardians though.. I would have gone with 10 more bladestorm avengers.. almost the same point cost.. more shots / higher BS and WS / better save etc.

Offline Gsmack

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »
I'd second that idea though you'd have to drop some spirit stones to get the necessary points... or .. I'd suggest upgrading the TL cannons on the firedragons serpent to twin EMLs which you can also pop tanks with ... or use to lay down covering fire for the fire dragons by potentially pinning / putting a hurt on any infantry nearby.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
I usually roll with bladestorming DA's, but I went with the Guardians for their reduced cost, for diversity, and because three flamer templates is just plain BRUTAL.  True, the DA's have a better BS and save, but I'm afraid I'd be tempted to leave them out there.  Knowing the Guardians are fragile, I am far more likely to use them sparingly, in order to preserve my scoring unit.  Its just a more conservative approach to what I usually do.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:58:48 PM »
Looks good, I might try it, but I'd use a warwalker squad instead of the fire prisms, and put the dragons in the falcon and more avengers in the serpent. You should even be able to spare some points this way. Maybe add a Wraithlord.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:39 AM »
Looks good, I might try it, but I'd use a warwalker squad instead of the fire prisms, and put the dragons in the falcon and more avengers in the serpent. You should even be able to spare some points this way. Maybe add a Wraithlord.

I could do those things, if those were the units I wanted to use.  ;)

I made survivability a primary goal of this list, and Fire Prisms with Holo-Fields are far more survivable than WarWalkers.  The Wraithlord isn't bad, but with Eldrad already fortuning the Wraithguard and the Scorpions, I'd have to leave it less protected.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
moc-score done above... and I do like the list overall.

Nicely done CS, and sorry it took me so long to rate it.

CaHG

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »
moc-score done above... and I do like the list overall.

Nicely done CS, and sorry it took me so long to rate it.

CaHG

No problem... Gutstikk hasn't even poked his head in here yet!    :P

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
Just a thought on your updated list.

Drop the Shuri-cannons from both Fireprisms, and get Shadowstrike for the Scorpions...
Drop one Guardian, and add a Spear to their unit as it offers a backup for AT.

I think the points would be pretty close to what you have now, and this Biel-Tan ~ Iyanden list does look interesting, fun, and effective.... so good luck with it, and keep up informed

Oh, and add a link to each Batrep right here, and updated pictures of units as you do them, etc... to help keep the thread alive.

Cheers, and keep your head down.

« Reply #10 on: July 1, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
1st Battle complete, link to Battle Report is in the 1st post of this thread, at the bottom.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project