News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Azore's first 5th Ed rethink (1500 point list)  (Read 5773 times)

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Azore's first 5th Ed rethink (1500 point list)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 02:09:28 AM »
(158)  1 Farseer w/ Fortune, Spirit Stones, Doom, Singing Spear, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing
(132)  15 Storm Guardians w/ 2 Fusion Guns
(228)  9 Jetbike Guardians w/ 3 Shuriken Cannons
(162)  10 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch, Power Weapon and Shimmershield, Bladestorm
(130)  + Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Missile Launchers, Spirit Stones, Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults
(95)  10 Defender Guardians w/ Scatter Laser
(187)  10 Howling Banshees w/ Exarch, Executioner, Acrobatic,
(130)  + Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Missile Launchers, Spirit Stones, Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults
(97)  5 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch, Crackshot
(180)  1 Falcon w/ Holo Fields, Spirit Stones, Missile Launcher, Pulse Laser, Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults

Total: 1,499

That was the last of my test-games.  I was using:

Farseer – guide, doom, spirit stones, runes of warding,  – 135

10 DA – Exarch, PW & Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend – 177
10 Gaurdian defenders: EML - 100
6 Pathfinders – 144

10 Scorpions – Exarch, Power Claw, Stalker, Shadow Strike – 212
10 Harlequins – Spiritseer, all kisses – 250

3 Dark Reapers – Exarch, Tempest Launcher, Crack Shot – 147
2 Warwalkers - dual shuri-cans, Spirit Stones - 80

The table continued the theme of having a building (AV12, 15 occupancy) in the center.  The mission was annihilation with Pitched Battle.  I won side and setup and claimed the top which had a ruin on the left, a forest in the center, and a larger forest in the right corner.  in between each of these large cover areas was a guard tower that gave a 5+ save and a high vantage point.  Down the middle was a road broken by the building with a small forest on the left edge of the road (about on the table edge) and some rocks next to the forest.  Farce's DZ had a large ruin on the right, a forest under the building in the center, and had a small outpost (4+ cover) on the left.

I deployed one guardian squad in each of my corners (top left and right) and the Avengers in the center forest behind the hanger (building).  Harlies went in between the left ruins and the center forest.  Reapers went in the right lookout tower with Avvy the Avatar beneath them.  Pathfinders infiltrated into the left center forest. 

Farcey set up only his farseer with the Avengers in a serpent, the Banshees in a serpent, and the Dragons in the Falcon.  The two serpents were in front of the Falcon (think triangle) on the right side of the table next to the Farceseer's ruins.

My first turn went awesomely after Siranaul decided against initiative stealing.  My first EML shot at the Banshee's serpent (rightmost serpent) caused a 6" explosion and killed three banshees that had been riding in it.  My reapers then proceeded to kill four more, pinning the Banshees.  The harlies and Avvy moved up.

Farce shuffled his tanks and took out two reapers with their combined fire.

My scorpions came in on turn two and outflanked on the far side of Farce's ruins, too close to the remaining Banshees for comfort.  An EML kills off another girl and they rout off the table.  The other EML shakes the remaining (DA) serpent.

Farce fails to bring in the Guardians and Guardian Jet Bikes, but his stormies come into play on the Pathfinder's side.  His falcon kills my Reaper Exarch.  The Stormies fleet forward uncomfortably close to my pathies.

On my turn 3, the walkers fail to materialize.  The harlies, scorps, and Avvy advance towards Siranaul's original deployment area (where he still mostly is).  The Pathfinders kill a couple of stormies and an EML shot over the forest takes out 6 more (came from the guardians atop the left ruins).  The right EML misses and Avvy shakes one of the tanks.

Farce gets the GJB in.  He lights up the scorps, bringing them down to seven.  The stormies fleet at the pathfinders and assault them.  Pathies kill two stormies to three pathfinders and run away.  The stormies consolidate into the forest.  The dire avengers were dropped off 5" from my harlies and seer who were now in the open.  They roll snake eyes for sight.  Their serpent rolls 1,2 and kills two with shuricats after the EML plasma scatters away.  The avengers become fortuned, the Harlies become doomed.

Turn 4 and the Walkers come in.  I choose the left edge and they outflank 1" away from the stormies.  Avvy advances, Scorpions advance out of the ruins...onto the wreckage and lose two to dangerous terrain.  They run off of it, not losing any more.  Avvy continues to advance and shakes the Falcon.  Walkers charge Stormies and Harlies charge Avengers.  Walker stomps two stormies, they don't break.  Harlies kill two Avengers and take two wounds back.

Guardians fail to come in again for Siranaul.  A bunch of shots ping off my Avatar (Thus earning him his name, Avvy).  Scorpions get shot up a bit and are reduced in number.  Another Stormie gets stepped on and they still don't break.  The harlies rend some more Avengers to itty-bitty pieces and take one wound back.  BTW, the Farseer with the Harlies and the Farseer with the Avengers had been having a duel.  they can't kill eachother or wound.  The Avengers do not break and the Harlies break off towards the jetbikes.

On my turn 5 the Harlies move 6" to be next to the bikes.  They pistol tap them, killing maybe one and charge.  The scorpions move towards this commotion made by the harlies and Avvy sort of wanders around, failing to glance what he shoots at.  In combat the Stormies finally break and are chased down.  The walkers consolidate behind the forest.  The harlies go all stabby stabby on the bikes, not taking any wounds back and bringing the bikes down to 5 of 9.  Unortunately, the bikes hold.

The guardians arrive for Farceseer and charge into the Harlies.  The falcon drops off the Dragons in the ruins and the Scorps are melta'd to just the exarch.  The serpent turns to face the exarch but can't kill it.  The Avengers turn and run towards the cover, but don't enter it.  The harlies kill the bikes down to one and the farseer stabs two guardians with his pointed stick.  The guardians swamp the harlies in a mass of attacks and bring the seer down to one wound.  She runs but isn't killed.

RANDOM GAME LENGTH: the game continues.

ON turn 6 some fun happens.  The Siranaul's seer catches a shuriken in the skull and dies (shuriken cannon!) and another Avenger falls.  They still won't run away.  The right side EML blows off the Serpent's EML and the left side EML kills a few guardians (who don't run).  Then Avvy shoots a melta into the Falcon and explodes it (pen and the extra +1 is nice) with the explosion catching two Dragons (who don't run away).  The Scorpion exarch charges the Serpent, gets one hit, and rolls a 3 for penetration.

Farce kills the exarch to bring the game to a tie.

That was end of game, but we played another turn in which I EMLed the Guardians into running to claim the victory.

This looks like it will become my list.  I will try to write it up tonite for the BIG LIST.  Everything performed like i wanted, Scorps distracted, Avvy smashed, fire pinned.

Azore of Ath-Ron.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:34:00 PM by azore24 »
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
Write-up for the LIST.  I appologise for the double post.

After suffering defeats at the hands of Chaos and the Krork Commander Eldras, Farseer Emile, and General Azore met in Ath-Ron's warchamber.  The discussion lasted three days and nights with much deliberation.  Eldras had recommended becoming a heavier force consisting of walkers and tanks.  Emile's advice was to include heavy infantry and a small seer council to aid in battles.  Azore insisted that Ath-Ron need only to learn from its mistakes and to return to its roots.

"With the defeats that the forces of Slaanesh handed us at Caelifera Humorous, we should be prepared for more Power Armored infantry.  Without the high-power weaponry mounted on the heavier vehicles we should not have the ability to defeat them with the ease that I would like."

"But Eldras, our vehicles are few and far between because of our small size.  Even with the colony worlds we do not have the transport capacity to use vehicles on a large enough scale to make it worthwile to retrain pilots in their use.  No, the only way foreward is to know that way as it happens.  With councils in each company we would come up much more successfully from our battles.  Should there have been a full council at the battle of Vassal Outpost 5 we would not have suffered the casualties that we did.  Against the Krork there is no more effective a weapon than a Warlock trained to channel energy into pure destructive power."

You both think to one-dimensionally.  We can never be able to combat all opponents with one force designed for any one force.  I would suggest that we look at the second battle of Exameth Mure wherein our Suppressor squads made all opposition cower in fear as our Commandos and Harlequin allies moved up to kill them in hand to hand combat.  I agree that there is room for improvement in that initial form, but overall that is how we should act.  First, our shuriken will block out the sun and then we shall fight in the shade.  Our enemies will fall like the cattle they are and we shall be victorious in all of our campaigns."

Emile hastily walked to the chamber.  It had only been three days since the last meeting.  What could possibly have been so urgent to call her from her duties that could not have been handled in the last gathering?  She opened the doors to the ante chamber and met Eldras, who had been waiting for her.  "Why was I called here on such short notice?"

"
You don't know, oh mighty farseer?"  Eldras had a coy smile on his face, though it soon faded as he explained that Azore had gone around their backs to seek advice on Ath-Ron's military, their spearhead unit no less, from other Craftworlds.  His face shifted to disgust as he mentioned Azore even going to the barbarous Saim Hann Eldar for help forming his team.  He then opened the door for the seer and followed her into the war room.

"Ah, you two finally arrived.  I have some good news, everyone!  I have finali--"

"Azore, you used our resources and shared our secrets without permission!  You used the hologram projectors to test battles.  You challenged the Council head.  Twice!  How do you answer for this?"  The emotions on Eldras's face were of more annoyance than of anger, knowing that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

"As I was saying, I have finalized our spearhead for the moment.  Would you like to hear it, or berate me some more?"

"Go ahead."

"So, as I mentioned last time, the core of the army will be about suppression.  At our core will be the main troops.  One squad of our suppressors will be aided by two colonial recruits with missile launchers as well as a covert sniper squad.  The fire base will be rounded out with three Heavy Suppressors, one of whome will be carrying the Tempest Launcher.  This group will, of course be led by Avvy.  Our harlequin allies, led by their Shadowseer Jesle will arrive with these groups.  The crux of the group relies upon the timely arrival of our flanking squads.  One will be lead by myself, the Commando group, and the other will use our light Scout Walkers to deliver Shuriken Cannon support to the enemies' flanks, as well as an impervious foot to stomp on the weaker races."

Emile was impressed.  This plan could work, save one thing.  "I shall accompany you.  This group will need as much advance warning of the enemy as possible.  Entire campaigns can and will hinge on this squad's performance.  I will not allow you to move without seer support, and there are few better than I in our ranks.  Now, please print out a copy of this list for me so that I may learn it well."

"Here you go."  Azore handed her a piece of paper with the following written in chicken scratch:

HQ
Farseer Urkek Emile - knows the runes for Doom and Guide, as well wears Runes of Warding and Spirit Stones
Avvy (The Avatar)

Troop Corps
Guardian Suppressors led by Commander Helret of Exameth Mure
Heavy Suppressors led by Dekat
Two squads of Colonial Recruits with gunners Lerna, Martel, Faret, and Corin
Sniper team

Strike Force
Commando team led by Azore
Scout Walkers with Shuriken Cannons fitted to the sponsons

Allies
Harlequin troupe led by Jesle

And now the 1500 point list in 40k form:

6 Pathfinders – 144

2 Warwalkers - dual shuri-cans - 80

1500 points

Azore of Ath-Ron
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 04:20:50 PM by azore24 »
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
And now the 1500 point list in 40k form:

6 Pathfinders – 144

2 Warwalkers - dual shuri-cans - 80

1500 points

Azore of Ath-Ron

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential: 3 units with dedicated anti-tank potential, 3-4 with some support and a couple that are near useless vs tanks makes the list a little light on Anti-tank for me... Overall I score it as Slightly Below Average (.5)

2.. Anti-MEQ potential: this is a mixed bag of tricks in that there is some good AP ranged fire to go with Mass fire, high strength fire, and CC potential vs MEQ.... Overall I score it as Very Good (.9)

3.. Anti-Horde potential: Again a pretty decent mix of ranged weaponry and a nice off-set of CC potential with some numbers to back it up... Overall I would have liked to see a couple template weapons though, but I still give it a rating of Good (.8 )

4.. Ranged Firepower potential: With a nice mix of short, mid, and lang ranged fire support and some mobility as well as Positioning advantages I think this area needs little improvement, but could use some.. Overall I score it as Good (.8)

5.. Assault potential: The two dedicated assault groups are decent and there is also a "holding" unit of two as well.... Plus the added bonus of Avatar support (if he makes it there). I would have liked to see faster delivery systems or methods of resilience as well, but you can't get everything at once, and still stay in theme.... So overall I score this as Good (.8 )

6.. Scoring Units / point level: Its basic math in most regards; but resilience does play a factor as well. I do see how this could be improved with in some regards; but in general the op has good concept of how to achieve both within a balance list... Overall I score it as Above Average (.7)

7.. Durability or Resilience: With durability being a much more important factor in 5th Ed than it was in 4th.. I see this as beingmore important than ever; unfortunately this list does lack in regard to certain units being easy enough to "Break"... It does have good features as well, but overall I only score it as Average (.6)

8.. Flexability: The list really sets up as a Hammer and Anvil style army for the most part; and if an opponent is fast, or can keep range and mobility on it, then its easy enough to counter. I do see some flexibilty; but without any serious speed, or reaction units it is deffinately laking in this regard and can be exploited to some degree... Overall I rate it as Below Average (.4)

9.. Mission Capabiliy: With only 3 Mission types and 3 Scenerios they list has easily covered them for the most part... it can suffer vs opponents that have a flexibility advantage on it; but in genearl it should work in any game vs any opponent... Overall I score it as Good (.8 )

10. Dynamics and/or Theme: You really need to read through the ops Craftworld notes to see the theme, and I think he has stuck to it very well while creating a nice balance in regard to synergy at the same time.... Overall I score it as Very Good (.9)

Rating = 7.2/10 Others may score it differently and I can see it doing very well in certain situations and then getting beat up on in others; although I also see it as being able to hold its own in almost any situation if played well. I guess overall I see it as being able to Draw in almost any game and have a decent chance for more Wins than Losses.

CaHG
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:50:45 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering