News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330646 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #820 on: July 25, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
Hey guys back with another mini update. Had another great fun game with my brother on saturday. IG vs. Necrons again and again very interesting results. The Ogryns were the stars again bringing the Wraiths to a dead halt over 4 turns. The Necron Warriors even with their "non-Decurion" reanimation protocols were INSANELY resilient. But wow, the Ogryns with a Priest are so ridiculously resilient. After playing this game we watched the latest Scorpion82 bat-rep and saw the Ogryns pulling off miracles there too.

Anyways guys just a quick little update. I should be done with this big huge Thousand Sons commission this week which should free me up to do a little something for myself. Anyways guys thanks for stopping by and I'll talk to you all soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2016, 06:55:31 PM »
The table looks very similar to some of the surfaces that I played on at Warhammer World with all the buildings and defensive positions.  It continues to really impress me.  It's clearly inspiring you, given that you're using it for testing purposes, as well as proper games.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #822 on: July 28, 2016, 07:04:13 AM »
Hey Irisado thanks a lot. Any comparison to Warhammer world is mighty praise indeed and I do thank you for it :) Yeah my brother and I really love loading the board up with terrain. The more terrain the more maneuvering and decisions are required. Its also make for a bit more of a forgiving game especially against mass firepower. It puts a premium on maneuverability too which does slant towards my Eldar but also gives my brother an edge in that his flyers (Vendetta and Vulture which are 2 of the best in the game) truly excel but also his tanks can easily be placed out of LOS from a variety of angles which is huge.

Anyway, yeah the fact that the table and the terrain are right their and ready to go at any time makes it so much easier to game. It took my brother 10 minutes to put everything away which includes all the little stones, the loose lichen all the buildings and the armies. I have back problems and anything that cuts down on time wasted with setup and breakdown is huge.

So yet again (I know its a tired refrain) but once this comission is done I do have another big one in the works, but I will have a little spare time to get another Eldar unit or two up and running. After the next big comission its shopping time and the Eldar, Necrons are going to get big time reinforcements. Gonna get something really special for my Eldar so stay tuned for that.

I also have a big game this weekend. Unfortunately I had to cancel my campaign, but I'm right back at with one of the new guys I met. Its gonna be very competitive, so stay tuned!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #823 on: July 31, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Hey guys so I'm back with another bat-rep. This time against a real cool new guy I met through my campaign. So it was Imperial Fists vs. Eldar. Lets get into it!

SETUP: So we played the Maelstrom Mission, Cloak and Shadows, where each player maintains 3 objectives you keep secret. I've never gotten much luck playing Maelstrom but I do enjoy it! We also played Hammer and Anvil, which is tough because it really bottles up my maneuverability and puts a lot of my units in melee range as I move up the field.

So with the setup out of the way lets get into the lists.

THE LISTS:

Eldar Craftworlds
Autarch- Soulshrive, Banshee Mask, Jetbike
Windriders x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Hornets x3- Pulse Lasers x6
Warp Hunter
Skathatch Wraithknight- Inferno Lances
Voidshield Generator- 3x Shields
-Aspect Host-
Striking Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x9- Exarch
Warp Spiders x8- Exarch, Twin-linked Spinner

IMPERIAL FISTS GLADIUS STRIKE FORCE
Chaplain- Armor Indomintus
Techmarine
Thunderfire Cannon
Assault Squad- Sgt. Eviscerator, Stormshield, Meltabombs
-1st Company Task Force-
Sternguard x10- 3x Combi-Melta
Drop Pod
Sternguard x10 3x Combi-Melta
Drop Pod
Sternguard x5 3x Combi-Melta
Drop Pod
Tactical Squad x6- Melta, Combi Melta
Razorback- TL Heavy Bolters
Razorback- TL Lascannons
Razorback- TL Heavy Bolters
Devastators- 2x Missile Launchers, 2x Heavy Bolters

Pre-Game/Deployment: I won the roll off to go 1st or 2nd, so I deployed 1st and opted to go 2nd. I deployed only my VSG, my Scorpions, Warp Spiders, Wave Serpent with Avengers and prepared to take the Alpha Strike.

TURN 1

Imperial Fists- So two pods full of Sternguard dropped in, popped their combi-weapons, blowing up the VSG immediatley, shooting the Wave Serpent but only stripping a hull point. Incidental fire came in and killed 2 Warp Spiders. The Thunderfire cannon unloaded on the Scorpions but only killed 2 after like 17 wounds. I rolled those 2+ cover saves like a boss! I bore that attack well but I knew I needed to do siginficant damage on my turn 1 or I'd be in trouble. On top of that my opponent scored 3 VP's from objectives he was sat on. I needed to start scoring quickly.

Eldar- So Dire Avengers deploy, Scorpions move out to assault and the Warp Spiders moved forward all in an effort to clear the Sternguard out of my DZ. The Avengers + a snap firing Wave Serpent managed to kill all but 2 of the nearest Sternguard. While the Warp Spiders killed all but one of the second squad of Sternguard. The Scorpions went in and eradicated the third Sternguard squad so I was off to a very nice start. However I had gone into the wrong Sternguard squad with the Scorpions as there was no Sgt. to challenge which was a Maelstrom point I was going for. Sadly even after that very good turn 1 I earned no points! However it set the stage to operate from a much stronger position going forward as my entire DZ was nearly cleared.

TURN 2

Imperial Fists- So without much Sternguard about I took only a small amount of return fire. A lascannon stripped another HP off my Serpent. The Avengers lost a few guys from sporadic Sternguard fire and finally a Sternguard Sgt. with a powerfist busted the Wave Serpent wrecking it. Also his final pod dropped down, landing right on a much needed objective. Other than that there was no other notable offense. However despite the light retaliation, my opponent earned another 3 VP's from lucky Maelstrom draws. Dang it! I was down 6-0!

Eldar- As I'm sure you guys are used to reading, I needed my reserves to come in ASAP! So the Wraithknight, Warp Hunter, Hornets and 2x units of Jetbikes all showed up. I unloaded removing all the Sternguard, a Drop Pod, and a Razorback. I also managed to score 2 Maelstrom points to at least get me on the board. Not the most deadly turn but I killed about 14 Sternguard which was very good. I also began the long march up the field by my Scorpions and moved my Spiders to engage the mid-field. All in all a solid punch back but still not much to show for it in the Maelstrom.

TURN 3

Imperial Fists- The Imperial Fists were really just trying to hold the line against oncoming Eldar onslaught. Without their Sternguard they were hurting for solid firepower. A huge amount of melta and heavy bolter fire came in on the Hornets, but I didn't jink and only 1 went down and another took a hull point.  Feel no pains negated incoming missile fire from the Devastators. And ridiculous armor saves by my Autarch and his jetbike buddies saw only a single bike go down to a full compliment of bullseye hits from the Thunderfire. He even pulled a cool trick where he made me flickerjump my Spiders... away from an objective he secretly needed to get me off of. Very clever! This had me laughing and loving it because it was such a clever maneuver. I love stuff like that! However nothing else happened but at this point he scored a TON of objectives! He was up 12-2! Dear lord... however this was that one good turn of dice rolls you need in a game, and I knew it. I still may need to table him for the win but my army was nearly at full strength and I had to capitalize.

Eldar- So I had to hit back hard on this turn and I knew it. So everything flew up (my final unit of bikes arriving) and I really knocked the Imperial Fists down this turn. Blew up the Lascannon Razorback, killed 2 units of Tacticals Marines, wiped out 2 Drop Pods to prevent further scoring and left the Chaplain standing alone. I managed to score a 4 VP's getting me within striking distance of winning the Maelstrom game (6 VP's total). I was still far behind but my opponent was reduced to a single unit of Tacticals, an Assault Squad, a Chaplain and Thunderfire and a unit of Devastators. I was firmly in the driver seat.

TURN 4

Imperial Fists- Desperation kicked in and the Assault Marines jumped out to finally pin-down the Warp Spiders who had been helping to carve units up all game. They made an excellent move through cover and were about 6 inches away. Everything else unloaded, the Wraithknight lost a wound, my Autarch and his bikers were wiped out by the Thunderfire Cannon and my Hornets were forced to jink. Those were some significant losses. If the Assault Marines made into combat with the Spiders I could be in trouble. So here came the all important charge roll and they FAILED! Intervening terrain added 2 inches to their charge distance and they failed. That was a big time dice roll and it played into my favor. I was very fortunate. My opponent also failed to score any VP's that turn further helping me. Lucky!

Eldar- So with that success I continued to be aggressive. The Spiders, Scorpions and Jetbikes all moved towards the Chaplain to try and grab Warlord. He activated his Armor Indomintus granting him a 2+ invuln save and saved against everything! Damn! I needed that kill for the Maelstrom. Other than that the jinking Hornets snap fired to no effect but the Wraithknight used his Scatter Laser to tag the Assault Marines killing 2, then targetting the Thunderfire/Techmarine but only causing a wound due to the fortified ruin. After that the Wraithknight charged the Assault Marines wiping them out but also taking a Melta-Bomb wound in exchange. Not the greatest turn, kind of stalled on that one but did get excellent board control. I got lucky again scoring 2 more Maelstrom points bringing me up to 8 points total. I could feel the noose tightening on my opponent.

Turn 5

Imperial Fists- The turn led off with the Chaplain with a Gets Hot! results on his plasma pistol as he fired on my Hornets. A bunch of fire came in on the Wraithknight but he shrugged everything off with armor saves and FNP. That was the final gasp of my opponent and nothing became of it. Time to drive the final nail in the coffin.

Eldar- The Warp Hunter let off with a salvo on the Devastators, killing 4 of them making them run. The Warp Spiders and a unit of Jetbikes unloaded into the Chaplain finally killing him, netting me Warlord and an additional Maelstrom point. Meanwhile the Wraithknight launched his full compliment of attacks on the Techmarine and his Thunderfire Cannon, killing the artillery piece while the Techmarine escaped! However he could not endure the Wraithknight on the charge and was squashed in combat. This left only one immobilized Rhino, a 6 man unit of Tacticals, and a Devastator squad which had fled from its perch. I actually scored a bunch more points bringing me to 11, just a point behind my opponent who had 12, but he could sense the tabling and just couldn't score anymore points. At this point my opponent conceded, concluding a very fun game.

Post-Game Notes- There was a TON of maneuvering that would just be impossible to convey well through text throughout this game. The Maelstrom makes for a very crazy game and I was moving back and forth popping on and off of objectives throughout the game, particularly with the Jetbikes and Avengers who had been hanging out on my back lines throughout the game.

Quick fun note for those keeping track. The Scorpions had a nice bounce back game. Killing a whole unit of Sternguard and bombing it 36"+ up the board in 5 turns, only 6 inches away from the Chaplain ready to charge him if my shooting failed. They endured a ton of fire and really helped out nicely as usual.

Also I was really not expecting this list. I thought it'd be grav-city with Sky Hammer and everything else. I heard from opponents friends he's a very competitive player, we're also friends on FB and I had seen him go to a number of tournaments, the last of which he earned 1st place in. So I do think my list was a bit overpowered but nothing like the horror I've seen on the ITC circuit with 12 units of 3 Jetbikes and double Aspect Hosts of 6x Spiders. Still it was a VERY strong list, really the best I can manage.

Still though my opponent was still ahead in points. I think if he had brought one of his own Knights (he has an army of them including a horrendous Vortex-Slinging Knight from FW) it would have been a different game. It was still very fun and my opponent said he had a great time so thats all that really matters.

Anyway it was great to have a good tight game, with a good opponent with a firm understanding of the rules, a good competitive army and a great attitude towards the game in general. So anyway guys thats it for now. I'll be back soon with some hobby updates this week. Until then take it easy and I'll talk to you all soon!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #824 on: July 31, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »
I actually must confess that when I saw all those Sternguard descending in Drop Pods on turn one, I thought it would be tough to win, so I was pleasantly surprised by your come back.  I've seen Sternguard Drop Pod lists cause havoc for Eldar armies in the past, but this time they were not as deadly as I was expecting, so clearly edition changes have seen them become slightly less effective.

Either way, it was great to see you gradually regain command of the table and break out from the encircling Drop Pods.  All very well executed and timed.

The photos, terrain, and models on both sides were outstanding as always.  Thanks for the great report :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #825 on: July 31, 2016, 07:02:57 PM »
It was an interesting read, and must have been an even better game. The imperial fists look well painted as well, which is always a bonus.
What did your opponent think of the game?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #826 on: August 1, 2016, 07:09:44 AM »
@Irisado- Hey thanks Irisado. Yeah it wasn't an easy game by any stretch... My opponent was really cagey and I worked wicked hard to gain any ground. I wish I had been able to convey the Maelstrom game better too, because I was getting my butt beat on that end. I wish I could have remembered each of those cards and which turn I drew them for the sake of the bat-rep but you get the drift... I always like Maelstrom games they always makefor some interesting choices.

Sternguard are certainly a nightmare, but being able to reserve everything and then have my Autarch bring everything in on turn 2 or 3 really messes with them. The issue is they HAVE to come down especially when thats all you have in Drop Pods. So I basically just let my opponent throw punches for a turn or 2, dodge them as best I can turn 1, then hammer them after the rest of my army comes in. After that its really just Marines in Razorbacks which can be dealt with easily enough.

Glad you liked the photos as well. I tried to take as many as I could this time round. I usually forget for a turn or two but this time I remembered. Glad you enjoyed them, thanks! :)

@Vonny- Hey Vonny. Yeah it really was a great game. I worked for every inch of that board. My opponent said he had a great time, but I could tell it was a tense game for him. I don't think he's seen my the Hornets or Warp Hunter before and it was a bit overwhelming. He was fresh off winning an entire tournament, and goes to tourneys regulalry so he's no stranger to tough competition. He's got all the crazy FW knights too with Vortex slingers and everything else.  Still I did feel a little bad, the Hornets, Wraithknight, Warp Hunters and Jetbikes are brutally strong. He told me "to bring whatever shenanigans I wanted" so I figured I was in for Grav-City, Skyhammer etc but instead it was 1st Company Task force. Honestly if he had a unit of Thunderhammer Stormshield Terminators in a Raven (perhaps with a Dreadnought) I feel like it would have been a totally different game. He could have jumped out turn 2 and nabbed the Wraithknight either killed him outright or stalled him for 2 turns allowing him to score more objectives and focus everything on the Spiders/Jetbikes and deny me Scoring Power. Honestly Assault Termies are so underrated you just cannot ignore them especially in a Raven. He needed a "Stopper" unit something that could just block my advance for a turn and he probably would have won.

Either way we had a great game and he's eager for a rematch and so am I. I'm dreading his Knights but it'll be great fun to try my luck against them.

Also yes, his army was really nice. He even apologized for not having everything painted. But this is more fully painted them I'm used to seeing so I was very happy. Anyway thanks Vonny glad you liked the bat-rep!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #827 on: August 8, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
Hey guys back with another hobby update. Not a huge one, but fairly significant. Finally finished that Thousand Sons army the other day. 40 Marines, 10 Terminators a Drop Pod and a Character hooo doggy was that a toughy. Very glad its over.

In the small amounts of time I was able to steal amidst that work load and the switch over to my next comission (a Dark Angels bike army) I was able to work on my own Dark Angels and begin construction on another unit of Warp Spiders!

I was going to build Scorpions but with the imminent release of the new Defender/Storm Guardians I've elected to hold off and see what goodies that boxed set will offer.

So all the colors are applied, as are the washes. Now its just highlight time and this squad will be finished. Its funny how rough they look before the highlights have been layed down but it should really bring them to life just like the last squad. Included is Ezekiel on his big new Space Marine base. Really looking forward to painting him up too. I think he looks great even after all these years.

Also I've begun work on a new unit of counts-as Warp Spiders. Really wanted to add a second squad for more competitive games. Like the idea of having an Aspect Host of 2x Spiders and 1x Scorpions for my competitive games.

Like I said I'm holding out for that new Storm Guardian kit which is supposedly on the way. I also wanted to let you guys know I'm going to collect the entire Eldar campaign set coming out from GW. I'm VERY excited to play the entire game, add Harlequins, Eldrad and actual Craftworld Aspect Warriors to my collection. What does this mean? I will actually start a proper Craftworld army using the actual models.

I'll also be using the forth coming Thousand Sons and Khorne models to flesh out my tiny little Chaos force.

Combine this with the Dark Angels and the Necrons who in particular have been seeing a lot of action in my mini games each weekend with my brother and a whole bunch of new 40k blood will be entering the collection.

It'll be slow going hobby-wise for my own personal armies though as my commission schedule which got royally screwed up due to 3 projects being sent my way simultaneously, orders taking forever to arrive and the like. But now that I'm working on only 1 project (and not accepting others till this one is finished) I should be able to get back on track and have some time to myself to pursue my own hobby goals.

Anyway guys hope you enjoy and hopefully I'll be back soon with another bat-rep or another hobby update. Stay tuned!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #828 on: August 11, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Looking good man, super stoked to see that new squad of Spiders come together!

Yes good call on waiting for the storm guardians and any new plastic that might be coming our way soon -- can't wait to see what GW has been up to on the pointy ears!

Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #829 on: August 12, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
Thanks buddy. The second squad of Spiders is largely due to your own prompting. My overall model collection is very restrictive as I have huge redundancy. 4x10 Avengers, 3x Serpents, 10x Reapers, 3x Wraithguard (Scythes, Cannons, Axes) then I've got 4 flyers as well. It really limits my army composition especially since I don't want to have Wraithguard, Wraithknight, Warp Hunter, Hornets and Jetbikes all in the same list in casual games.

Spiders are super competitive but just 2 units of them is not too bad, so I'm very happy to add them for competitive games.

And yes I cannot wait for those new kits... I'm absolutley DYING to pick up Death Masque. I'm gonna get everyone of those boxed sets which pertain to the Eldar. Gonna share both the Deathwatch and the Harlies with my brother. Can't wait to paint them.

Anyway bud thanks so much for your feedback I truly do appreciate it.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #830 on: August 12, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »
Haha yeah that is some variety crushing but truly impressive redundancy my friend, 40 Dire Avengers and 3x Wraithguard WOW!

You do have some specialized units though, a spot of rangers, some hawks, spiders, and scorpions, right? And Fire Dragons! So it's not THAT bad, and you can easily play your Avengers as Guardians if you were so inclined.

I'm sure if you finish up the Corsair Barons you would have the equivalent stand-in 3x Shining Spears plus Exarch plus Autarch too.

One of your war walkers has hit the showcase, it is a gorgeous stealth model, do you have any more in the works? What about one Falcon?

At 1k-1500 I do love to bust out the trio of War Walkers with a foot-Farseer and Wraithlord, classic oldschool style. It can be pretty effective and is not too OP at those levels.

The one thing that still tugs on my heartstrings and makes me sad about 40k is the fact that I can't run 10x Banshees in a Serpent anymore.. that was such a fun and fantastic element of my list, even back when you could only assault out of non-moving transport vehicles. Now that you just can't do that anymore and have to run them on foot, it is just tragic picking them up after a few bolter shots :( My crazy samurai banshees were a force of nature, so many good battle stories out of that squad.

True, the equivalent now would be 8x Scorpions infiltrated or outflanking, soaking up firepower with strong cover saves and then messing up the enemy advance or getting stuck into their lines. Doesn't have quite the same cinematic appeal to my mind's eye as a squad of blood-lusting screaming warriors exploding forth from their transport and tearing through the enemy lines.

Admittedly the Scorpion Exarch Stalker power to massacre whole units while in a challenge with some slow-witted mon-keigh is certainly a neat perk of the new rules hah. A few games back, my Scorpions got shot down to 3 models before getting stuck in with some Sisters of Battle, who are pretty low initiative -- sucker accepted the Challenge, pumping the Exarch up to mandiblaster+7 power claw hits -- bye bye Sister's squad, bahaha!

But yeah, I just loved hiding my Banshee Serpent for 1-2 turns, turbo-boosting into the enemy back lines to some juicy position, then just unleashing mayhem for the rest of the battle with screaming katana-wielding psychopaths turns 3-5. The Eldar Way!

Anyway, enough reminiscing -- very excited to see those new Spiders, and some highlighted-up SMs!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #831 on: August 13, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »
Hey Ibushi great stuff as always. I do have a bunch of options like Rangers (with my custom Illic), the Hawks and Dragons are fun to get into the rotation. The Dragons in particular have been very fun to run. Especially against Knights where its a fun little chess match getting that Serpent into position. Also the Hawks have been gathering a bit of dust so it'd be good to get them going again.

Sadly the War Walker you were mentioning got busted up by my brother. He dropped something on it, but he did manage to fix it up last weekend. But it was disheartening.

Yes I love the idea of doing an old school footlist with a Farseer instead of a Wraithlord. It'd be an interesting challenge to abandon the beta-strike, reserve shenanigans approach.

I'm actually planning on running a Seer Council list at some point. I forgot about some old, old, old Seer bikes I did. I have enough to do a 6 man bike council, Autarch, Farseer, 4x Warlocks which should be fun. Its not a proper council formation but it should be to experiment with and will get my Autarch more involved in the fight instead of just zipping around with the laser bikes.

Also.... I feel your Banshee pain. I absolutley HATE the disembarkation rules. You can disembark, shoot, run, but not swing a sword? Its dumb and I hope it goes away, along with not being able to assault out of reserves. The Avatar, Genestealers, Scorpions, Rough Riders etc would really thrive with that, hell even Banshees assaulting out of reserve against a Drop Pod assault would be so glorious.

Here's another blast from the past... my Counts-As Banshees. Sadly most of these are all busted up after some accidents. I may re-make this squad in the future though.

Anyway awesome thought provoking stuff as always Ibushi. Thank you very much for your comments I always appreciate your ruminations on things. Hope your tourney training is going well. Slice and dice them my man! :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:59:29 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #832 on: August 13, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
Those blasts from the past are spectacular.  They're really impressive looking Howling Banshees.  I love the gold effect and the dynamic posing with Executioner type blades.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #833 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:15 AM »
Thank you very much Irisado. I do love these models too... can't believe I forgot about the Jetbikes and I'm bummed the Banshees got bashed up. I should salvage those that I can and who knows maybe 8th edition will surprise us with better disembarkation rules and make the Banshees elite again.

The Jetbikes will see play soon so stay tuned for that. Anyway thanks Irisado!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #834 on: August 14, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
The helms on those Banshees are the nuts. Just a really cool aesthetic.

As ever Cav, you're producing fine work. Sorry I haven't dropped by this thread for a while, just wanted to say that your table looks awesome. The games that you've shown us on that board have been great and really do bring a game to life.

My wife and my Bro's wife like to poke a little fun our way whenever we 'play with our little men', but their tune very quickly changed the day that they saw a fully set up battle between 2 fully painted 2000 point armies on the Realm of Battle game board chock full of fully painted terrain. They went from 'you're so sad' to zomg that's so cool in about 2 minutes. In fact, my wife is now fully supportive because she has seen the end event. I think that a fully realised battle can change opinions on the hobby for the better, so good job moving in that direction.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #835 on: August 14, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
maybe 8th edition will surprise us with better disembarkation rules and make the Banshees elite again.

Yeah, CWE needs an assault craft, for an army of specalists you'd think they would have one, or be specifically trained on how to exit the WaveS. They are rather quick on foot though, they just need some LOSB terrain to hide in.

They are still great as a counter strike unit, especially against alot of DS units as some death Marks found out on the weekend :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #836 on: August 15, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »
@Looshkin- Hey Looshkin. Thanks man, no worries I'm just happy you stopped by :) Really glad you enjoyed some of the bat-reps and photos and whatnot. Its been a lot of fun lately. Wish I wasnt so busy with comission work cause I'm dying to work on my own stuff! I've got a few Eldar projects I really want to complete, but more than that I want to do more terrain for bat-reps and games at home. Soon... soon.

Hey thats a great story about the power of 40k! It really is a spectacle. My younger sister has been blown away by the minis after only seeing them in passing. Same thing with my parents when they stop by. It really is a sight to behold.

If you get a chance take some pictures next time you play I'd love to see some more of your glorious minis! Again thanks for stopping by bud, compliments from a pro like yourself are very much appreciated!

@Magenb- Hey bud, I totally agree with you. It'd be perfect for a formation of some sort, perhaps a Biel-Tan formation of Aspect Warriors or somesuch. A new transport would also be wicked. However you are right, Banshees are fast as hell. I remember Scorpion82 was running them for awhile and he was blitzing up the board and making combat by turn 2 with his girls. Saw them slicing and dicing Necron Warrios, Scarabs and even Tomb Spyders. They are another "challenge" unit... the more I talk about them the more I was to re-convert a squad up and start playing them. I do have most of the bits... hmmm...

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #837 on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
Holy crap those Banshees are next level incredible! I would be tempting to play them as Incubi in a pinch as well -- one of those units you can actually put in Raiders and assault with hah, plus in units of 3 in a Raider they are actually incredibly nasty and points efficient.

I don't see what all the fuss is about them getting smashed up, they look absolutely stunning, but obviously some earlier work as I can clearly see mould lines bahaha

Aside from shaving down the lines and doing the bases in your classic rubble style, the only thing I would actually change about those bad girls is swapping the tiny blade on the Dire Avenger spear for the blade from the Avenger Exarch power sword, which is freakin massive. If you bend the plastic a bit and make it into more of a katana shape -- classic Banshee style! -- it will make the Exarch's executioner look much more intimidating.

But that's neither here nor there, I am really blown away by how cool these kit bashes are!! Dire Avenger torsos on Wych legs with Scourge heads is a real winner man! Really hope to see these spruced up and on the table soon!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #838 on: August 17, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
Thanks bud, sadly these are pre-disaster photos. Their glaives are all busted up, shoulder mounted pistols are snapped off. Yeah those mold lines! Yikes! Also yeah the Exarch was a bit of a dud.

I will re-do these in the future... actually I'm thinking about re-modeling my Seer Council at the moment too. Something about their heads is not right. Thinking of doing all individual unhelmed heads making each guy totally unique, or going with the glass dome heads and making them all recognizably seers. I forgot I had ordered those heads awhile back... I'll do some test models and see what you and the rest of the crew think.

Anyway bud thanks for the feedback as always I truly do appreciate it. Thanks!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #839 on: August 20, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
Hey guys back with another Corsairs update! So I've decided to mix a few unhelmed warriors into my counts-as Spider squad. I did that throughout my Avenger squads, even my Scorpions and figured it'd be a good time to do it with my latest Warp Spider unit.

I think I'm gonna run 2x5 Spiders + 1x10 Scorpions for my Aspect host. Should keep my points investment down and still allow me to run my standard list with just some minor tweaking.

So I just wanted to do the faces to see how they'd look and I think they came out good. The photo of the guy with the blue braids looks crappy, but he looks very nice in real life. Other than that off to a solid start. This squad will have turquoise gems meaning they will be in the 2nd Coterie group, with white gem guys representing the 1st Coterie group within the principal company. Anyway guys hope you enjoy! Nice to be painting Eldar models again! Stay tuned and be back soon- I promise!