News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2500 point tourney 2 force org, escalation, stronghold, knights allowed  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Warlord Argh

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Hello,

A 2500 point 2 force org, escalation (1 Lord of War), fortifications allies allowed.

OK here is a quick list, please give ideas to tweek.

I assume there will be Ded ard units in every army.  My army has a few units that can deal with almost anything.  I can use a vengeance battery with that TL Lascannon.  that is 75 points.

SO - Stompa 770
in the Stompa is a Big Mek w/KFF - 100
two groups of 5 burnas with 3 meks each - 75 each for 150

THREE Trukk boys mobz
11 boyz, Nob w/PK, Bosspole,  Trukk has a Plank  152 Each for         456

BWagon with DeffRolla, big shootax2 grot riggers, RPJ  130
20 boys - shootas - Nob with Big Choppa and Bosspole  140

10 lootas          150
Green Baron  70
2 groups of two warbuggies w/ TL rokkits  70 each for 140
Warboss on a bike with Cybork PK Bosspole           140
four biker nobz with a painboss all w/ cyborkbodies and big choppas unit has a banner.                                                                                         260

The mobility is good, but will it stand up to the super heavies.  Too few units that can hurt a vehicle? does the green baron stay or go?

i finally bought a plane, which I got yesterday. no way it will be together for this.

Thanks in advance!

Warlord Argh

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:52:14 PM by Warlord Argh »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Looks like a good list should be some good fun  :)

A couple of recommendations for you. First make the burna boys into one squad of 10 and since this is a two force org chart get a plain big mek with boss pole to lead them. Also I don't think the stompa can carry two squads, and orks don't work well in the MSU game.
Second, while I love the Baron, I think you should trade him in for a grot squad to man the battery (bs3 instead of bs2) as I am pretty sure they are not self crewed. Then use leftover points for the burna boy big mek.

The fight will be centered around killing off the super heavies. Use that to your advantage to wipe out his scoring units while he is trying to kill your stompa. Then your boss can green torpedo and kill his super heavy, provided it is not a flyer.

It looks like your lootas are your your main anti aircraft, so keep them just out of "D" explosion range of the stompa and shoot down everything that flies or skims.

Now,  Lets see some pictures  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
i finally bought a plane, which I got yesterday. no way it will be together for this.

Shame that was going to be something I was going to heavily advice, despite my personal reservations against things like Flyers, Superheavies, D-Weapons and Fortifications (geese I'm practically a dinosaur in this game now).

The way I currently see it, with Orks our best bet to survive, and even thrive in the current 40k crazy is target saturation. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Footsloggers, but Footsloggers are pretty hard if not impossible to deal with some of the most recent releases.  Which is great because we has Orks have lots of great cheap units and with a dual Force Org chart allowed in the Tourney, you absolutely have to take advantage of that!

That in mind I have some suggestions for your posted list, both in slight modification and possible additions you might want to think about, especially considering that you know you are going to go up against at minimum 1 Knight, and I think it's likely that you'll also see some of the Stronghold Assault goodies, if not a Strongpoint or Defense Network.

The Stompa and transporting Burna-mekboy squads.  It took me a while to see why you'd take the Meks in the Burna squad, although I see it now, and by Mork and Gork I applaud you for such amazing tactical brilliance Warlord Argh!  Since others reading this/commenting might not, here's why it's smart!  The Ork FAQ has modified Mektools to replenish Hull Points.  I know this might be old news for most, but it's new and big for me.  Additionally in case you get some of its weapons bunged up you can Repair them.  Oh and as an added caveat since Superheavy vehicles ignore Shaken results there's no downside if you roll the 1!

Now here's where I think you can improve the Stompa slightly though.  You could switch the Burnas, with Lootas.  Both units can take the Mekboys, both units would cost the same points, but I think you'd get a better value out of the Lootas shooting from the Firepoints than flame templates.  Take that advice or not, you should consider what weapons the Mekboys have.  While the KMB isn't bad, if you shoot them there's a chance you could loose your replenishing Hull Points, so I wouldn't KMB them at all.

You'll have to check the Big Mek's point cost or the wording, with just a KFF he's less than 100 pts.

Trukkboyz are a good way to go, but are they Shoota or Sluggaboyz?  The Planks are a great addition drive by plinking of armor without having to actually assault is a major plus against a Knight. 

The Deffrolla wagon is a lot of Ork players bread and butter.  That said, it's still relatively weak in comparison to a Land Raider, and with the Forts and Lords of War your likely to see, I think the Deffrolla isn't going to be a great asset.  Yes I could be completely wrong, but even with boxcars against a Superheavy walker that's Death or Glory-ing, your wagon will likely bite the dust, and seeing how it's about 1/8th of your army's points, I wouldn't recommend it.  That's not to say it won't work, but that I think there's other options that might work better.

The Green Baron isn't bad, just suicidal.  Suicidal isn't bad either, but the Green Baron lost his alpha strike since he can't assault when he comes on the scene, and I also don't think there's enough targets out there that will distract your opponent from netting a quick kill on the mosquito that is the Green Baron.

Biker bosses an Nob bikers are always great fun to play.  But with a 4 man team you have to Ld check after a single casualty, and Orks aren't exactly known for their Ld value.  Besides, being the only Bike squad in the army, to me it looks out of place.

All in all it's not a bad list, just one not fully optimized to take the full potential of the scenario.  Case in point, this is a 2,500 point game where you get double Force Org!  There's lots of goodies you can shove in when you've got double the standard Force Org, and I think many of your opponents are going to do the same.

Great Cheap Units I suggest taking multiples of...
Kannons
With 6 Heavy Support slots at your disposal, amazing rules for artillery pieces, two fire modes, Ammo Runt rerolls, unbelievably reasonable point cost, and controlled by Grots for a higher than standard Ork BS; the Kannon really shines as tool in anyone's arsenal.  As a side note, it is by far the Orks best Anti-vehicle and I wouldn't doubt it's usefulness against Superheavies.

Trukkboyz
I know you already have a couple units, but I don't think it's nearly enough for the purposes of scoring or even surviving till late game.  If I was playing against this list, one of my personal priorities would be taking out your scoring units while trying to kite around the Stompa, and I think a lot of people would have a similar thought.  Trukkboyz fast mobility, and can block of areas of escape around your Stompa, and hey you have a lot of Troop choices.

Fortifications
True they aren't my personal favorite thing in the world, but there's a great cheap choice for a Fort out there, and you have at least one of them, the Vengeance Weapon Battery.  They're cheap, come for a 2 for one slot option, and with 2 Force Org Charts that means you could feasibly take 4.

I'm not saying you have to change your list, I'm just saying what I would do if I was playing in this tourney.  Regardless on if or how you change your list, I wish you good luck.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: GAH Ninja-d!
I thought the same about Transports, but if you reread the Super Heavy Transport section in Escalation you'll see it.  I'll admit to having to look very closely at it.  As for the Burna squads, read my post and you'll see why its brilliant.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:50:18 AM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Warlord Argh

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks for the advice!

I will take some pictures, i forgot to at the event.

I went with 2- 12 man Trukk boyz
1 ten man in a trukk with my MEga boss.
1 trukk with 3 meganobz
10 Lootas
10 tankbustas in a BW
additional BW both with deff rollas
3 squads of 2 Rokkit buggies
The stompa had two squads of burnas with 3 meks each, and a biog mekk KFF.  the stompa cna carry any number of squads in it.  Two of the three meks in each squad were upgraded to RL.  safe and shooty.
I have used the Vengeance batteries before and like dit, but not very Orky.

Battle reports - some people did not bring any Fortifications or super-heavies.
my first game was against a space   marine player with neither and he paid for it.
he had three centurions and 1 land raider. 2 dreads. 2 ten man tac squads, a termie squad w/ psyker. two scout squads, a jump sqaud. and a command squad in the land raider.
he bunched up the two tac squads in a ruin. he had the centurions in front of the land raider. 
First turn i blew apart the land raider and two of three centurions with the Kannon in the Stompa.  rokkits destroyed 15 of twenty of the tac squads.
Second turn, used four burnas and the skortcha on the stompa to roast two squads (assualt and Scout)in ruins while a trukk squad assualted the other scout squad in the ruins on and objective. I assualted the termies with my stompa.  I killed a few and he then assaulted with both dreads. I tried a tank shokk with my BW and one termie with a chain fist ate it!! That sucked, but my stompa took him out along with the other termies and the librarian.  By the end of turn three i had all but 2 tac squad guys off the table.

SECOND Battle
This was a chaos guy with the fortress of redemption.  He had the majority of his forces inside.  This was a bit longer, but the stompa killed the fortress and all of its sections and inhabitants in turn 2,3, and 4.  he had nothing on the table by turn 4's end.  he started the game off by flying his demon to my side of the table in front of the lootas, the warboss troop and another trukk full of boys.  I used the pistols and RL, and lootas to hurt it and bring it to earth.  Then i mopped up in HtH.

Third battle -
Eldar jetbike seer council, 6 wave serpents with shields, fire prism, wrath lord - or whatever you call the big walker-not the super heavy. 2 fire dragon squads 4 gaurdians.
I killed the wraithlord first turn. took out the fire prism second turn with HtH from the stompa.  then his reserve wave serpent with fire dragons got onto the table and took 11 of 12 hull points off in 1 turn.  then he destroyed it with one other shot. it blew apart the eldar around it including the tank it came in.  but the other unit of fire dragons topok out a BW and his farseers came on from reserve.  This is where it shows the power of the SHIELD on those damn tanks.  WOW a shield that shoots D6+1 S7 shots?  did me in.  The seer council died to shooting from my 11 Tankbustas in the BW and the Lootas in 1 turn. Only the warlord was left, and he died to my squad of boyz in HtH.  But those tanks without any fire dragons on the table still were more than enough to kill my entire army. So he had a flyer, 3 wave serpents and 3 squads of gaurdians left.  How to deal with his list on a staright 2500 points, no fancy crap?  Mass trukks?

I could not get into HtH with the wave serpents reliably.  More trukks and less other crap would have helped.  The shooty was not good against those shields.  they can 2+ away any pens.  i did not take any of them out with shooting. all causalities were from HtH. Stomp got the fire prism, Tankbustas charged one, Megas got one.

In all the battles, i never was able to use the deff rolla reliably either.  I did however like the mass Tanksbustas in the BW.  Even with 6s to hit from moving in a vehicle, I did better than average. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:54:49 PM by Warlord Argh »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Congrats on your victories, and your "didn't lose". (remember: orks never lose)

As for the last game, did you forget about the KFF? Or did you just not roll any 5+ when the dragons lit up the stompa?

Again, good job and looking forward to pictures.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Warlord Argh

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
The reasons for my Stompa exploding spectacularly were varied.  A more detailed account is in order! First turn was mine and I sent the Stompa 12" across. Killed the wraith lord and beat up on the wave serpents a bit.  The next turn, I moved 12 " shot more serpents, less affectively and killed the first of two fire dragons squads.  I charged the fire prism and crushed it.  He then rolled his reserves and the second fire dragon team moved on and disembarked.  He shot my Stompa with 5 guys.  all 5 hit - of course- and I rolled one 5 for the KFF.  He rolled 4 penetrating hits S8 + 2D6 and rolled many extra Hull Points to a total of eleven.  That is 4 for the initial hits, then 7 for the extra D3 for each Pen.  they have +2 for AP1.  Then he has a couple weapons on his dread that hit me from behind and I saved only one of them, and i SPLODED!  So under average dice for me.    Total Hull point loss could have been 5 for each hit, plus a total of 15 extra for 20 hull point loss from a 5 man squad of pointy ears.  I remember when our buggies could have multi meltas.  Dems was the days. 

ARGH