News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The start of my new Bretonnian-Vampire Counts army!  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Kingside_Bishop

• Ork Boy
  • 5th Cadian / 523rd Necromundan
The start of my new Bretonnian-Vampire Counts army!
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
Hi everyone!

So I've decided to get into Fantasy, and have set my sights on a Vampire Counts army. I haven't fully fleshed out a background yet, but I know I want them to be an army from the Bretonnian duchy of Mousillon. I've had a few ideas... the most attractive being the newly self-appointed duke of Mousillon, the infamous black-armoured knight, turning out to be a vampiric descendent of Maldred, the last duke.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here, is because during the assembly and painting of my last army (a Cadian/Catachan/Ork kitbash to achieve a post-apocalyptic motorcycle gang to fight in the wars on Armageddon) I didn't take any photos -- and now, I regret not being able to reminisce about its construction. :'(

So, I was gonna post a work-in-progress sort of thing, and update it as I get more models done.

So here goes.

This is my first unit of skeletons. I wanted to get some done before getting too invested, because I'm going to be painting a lot of these, and I wanted to make sure it would be bearable. They're a fairly simple kit bash between VC skeletons and Bretonnian Men-at-Arms. In the future, I'll be using TK heads and spears (with Bret spearheads), as they're easier and cheaper to acquire on eBay. As it is, I like 'em.

My first three zombies. They were tons of fun to pose, and I'm really glad because I'll be putting a lot of these guys together, too. I'm bashing zombies with bowmen for this one, as I got a bunch of bowmen from the Bretonnian battle box that I obviously can't use as a VC player. It's a bit complicated, given the differences in arm construction between the two models, but totally worth it.

Here are my first black knights. They're pretty much unconverted, just a simple head swap with some Tomb King heads whose crowns I love. It's a little simpler than I'd prefer, but ultimately, when people look at the army, I want them to see a Bretonnian force, and then do a double take, which means my knights need to look knightly. I plan on painting the horses an appropriately eerie, translucent color.

That's it for now! Next on my to-do list is to finish up a unit of black knights, so I can paint them, and maybe get some 500-point games in! My overall goal is to have a 2,250 point army done by May, in time for KublaCon. We'll see if I get there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:57:07 PM by Kingside_Bishop »

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
Re: The start of my new Bretonnian-Vampire Counts army!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 06:49:42 PM »
Looks great Bishop! I've never seen an undead army like this but have thought about it some years back :)

I also like the painting a lot. Do you want to paint the whole army with this color scheme?

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: The start of my new Bretonnian-Vampire Counts army!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
Mousillondead, nice.

I'm not entirely convinced by the Black Knights to be honest, I think the TK heads don't really work on them. But that's just my opinion, and you said you like the TK heads, so fair play to you
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*