News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: POC: Iyanden --- The Ghost Warriors  (Read 114735 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: POC: Iyanden --- The Ghost Warriors
« Reply #860 on: July 17, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »
All the many facets of Eldar are hard to play, it took me ages to get tor grips with how to play them. That why I keep coming back to them, as they're so enjoyable and challenging to play.  All you can do Haunt is to offer small advice. Most people will have to make the mistakes themselves in order to progress.

Iyanden were always very hard to play as our troops were so expensive and tactically inflexible that our army lists were very predictable and our tactics equally so.  Now with all the choices and added flexibility people are wanting to try out new things which at time won't work.

Patience.

Arq.

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #861 on: July 18, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
So I have been trying to play an Iyanden army for some time. Since the new Codex has been published I have been doing OK, winning some losing some and feel I am still learning with my army. This is the list I am playing at the moment at 1850 points.

Farseer.
Spiritseer.
Wraithguard with scythes
Wraithguard with wraith cannon
Wraith Blades with axe and shield
5 man Ranger Squad
Two Wave Serpents with scatter lasers, schuriken cannons and holofields.
Wraith Knight with Sun Cannon and one Scatter laser (I love this build)
One Exarch Crimson Hunter with Star Cannon
Two Crimson Hunters

This comes to 1850 exactly.

Comments.

1) This does not feel like an Iyanden list, it is a Mechdar list with wraith troops.
2) I find that as soon as the wraiths get out of the transports, they get whittled down and I am struggling to maintain sufficient troops for objectives.
3) I am finding it difficult to effectively use wraiths and wave serpents because of the short range of the wraiths and fact that the movement of the transport is limited if you want to get your wraiths out of it.

I find difficulties with the wraiths against Helldrakes and Plasmer touting Obliterators. I find difficulty with the Crimson Hunters against Tau armies that bristle with Interceptor models. I've worked out the way to handle Drop Podding Sternguard is to leave everything off the board except the Wave Serpents and the wraiths inside and allow the Wraith Knight to come in and kill them all on his entry to the board. (Did I say I love that Laser Locked Sun cannon)

I am expecting to slightly change the list, eliminating the farseer, changing the Wraith Scythes to Wraith Cannon, take swords with the Wraith Blades and add another Wave Serpent. That way all Wraith units start in Wave Serpents. But this is still more of a Mechdar list than an Iyanden list.

So my questions are

1) What would you do with this list, how would you play it to get the best out of it.

2) At the 1850 points level, what lists have you found that work well and how do you play them to get the best out of them.

Looking forward to your responses - especially from Haunt !!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #862 on: July 19, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
It is a sound list. I usually take an autarch with fusion gun and the flame blade and put him in with 5 wraithblades with axe and shield (power unit). Spiritseer, 2 units of 10 wraith guard w/cannons (objective takers), wraithlord (ah the character) and wraith knight ( the brute) and if possible 5 wraithguard (another objective taker as well as unit killers) with D-scythes and at least 1 crimson hunter ( a must against CSM). Depending on points of course. Serpents in bigger games but most of this in my lists. Sometimes great and terrible things to my opponents and sometimes I get slaughtered, ehh, dice rolls. Farseer sometimes, kinda go back and forth between him and autarch. Hope this helps.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword