News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chapter masters  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Atrenox

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Chapter masters
« on: February 10, 2012, 06:19:56 PM »
Can the Four chapter Masters be accompanied by a honor guard or squad ?

Im talking about the 4 Models master of the arsenal master of the fleet master of recruits and master of the watch

would they be a good HQ choice ?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Chapter masters
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »
There is nothing stopping you from using them as Chapter Masters and buying an honour guard squad.  Really, they are just variants for the generic SM HQ choice which is commonly referred to as Captain.  But you must pay the points for them to be a Chapter Master and not a Captain as they are quite different.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
From reading your post, I think you're asking if you can take them all as an HQ choice. The box was brought out as an Apocalypse formation for the Space Marines, not as a codex unit. Using C:SM, they are each a Captain/Chapter Master model on their own, not a unit of 4.

If purchased as the Captain/Chapter Master, any one of them could be accompanied by a Command Squad/Honour Guard, depending on the listed option in the codex.

And a Captain is always good to have in an SM list.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

Offline kalivann

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »
Yes as stated above you can only take two not all four.

Generally I feel Chapter masters are not worth their points, your basically paying a handful of more points to get honor guard and an orbital strike (which is never worth it ever)

In terms of running two of the HQ's with honor guard I would advise against it. While the whole squad has power weapons and 2+ save, it they get touched by any decent pure CC unit they will be decimated with no inv.  save.
The only really effective way I can see them being run is detached from the chapter master and put with a Librarian with Null Zone and the 5+ inv. save power (name escapes me at the moment)

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
orbital strike (which is never worth it ever)
Right, so dropping a S10 pie on top of an annoying enemy unit and watching them all die horribly is totally not worth it, at all, ever, especially not in the first turn while your opponent's still leaving the starting blocks. Good to know.

Offline 14_Semaj

• "I dont need luck, Ive got flamers!"
  • Armies: Salamander Space marines(the whole chapter)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Well the Strike is kinda a carpshoot. It either hits and does damage or scatters to the wind and if they seize he is out of the safety of his transport. I dont usually get the opportunity to take him though mostly because I use a different Codex for my first company (DA)
"Into The fires of battle Unto the anvil of war!"

Offline Far Seer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • Work of the Green Farseer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
You can't field all 4 chapter masters at once as there's only 2 HQ slots. That being said, you could always 2 captains with relicblades, etc. along with a honour guard if you like.