News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Calling all airbrush artists! Help a newbie!  (Read 1285 times)

Offline XCrusaderguy01

Calling all airbrush artists! Help a newbie!
« on: March 10, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
I recently picked up the Imperial Armour Model Masterclass Volume 1 Forgeworld book from my local Battle Bunker. It's gorgeous, though a bit thin, and inspired me. I've always loved the hyper-detailed historical miniature style for Guard tanks, and I enjoy learning new hobbying skills. Now that I have disposable income, a few hundred dollars for a decent airbrush, compressor, and all the "fixin's" isn't all that unreasonable anymore.

So far, all I've done is pick up a Leman Russ to start prepping, and a magazine-sized book on "how to airbrush." The russ is getting assembled, mold lines filed, and various weapons magnetized (hey, I'm still a gamer!  :)) I'm reading through both books, trying to get an idea of what I need to amass and how soon, and its a bit bewildering.

First of all, here is the airbrush I've been considering. It's a dual-action brush (the only criteria I know that I need so far) and costs $100 at my local HTUSA. The compressor I;m looking at was recommended by an employee there, and was $150 at their store (not sure why its $225 at the website...) Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? I'm a beginner obviously, so a $500 airbrush is probably not going to be worthwhile yet, although I already see why getting the $80 brush/compressor cheapo starter set might be disappointing. Any particular recommendations?

How essential is a moisture trap for your compressor? I'm not certain this one has one internally, and from what I could tell they did not sell an external one (although I'm sure I could get one). Is there any big detriment to having external vs. internal? Also, I've seen recommended that the compressor have an internal air tank. This one doesn't look like it has that. How necessary is this?

I'm planning on using (*gasp!*) games workshop paints, as the IA Masterclass book does, with a few exceptions. If anyone has experience with this, I'd like to hear about it. Since these are non-toxic, I shouldn't have to worry about fumes as much, correct? How much do I need to worry about a well ventilated painting booth?

On a related note, I'll also be trying out the Mig weathering powders. Are these as easy to use as they make it seem? It almost seems too good to be true.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Also feel free to impart any beginner airbrushing advice!  :)

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
Re: Calling all airbrush artists! Help a newbie!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:51:32 PM »
a moisture trap is essencial in my view. Water in the sprayed paint will ruin the finish, and make it run like hell. It happened when I was painting the camo on my thunderbolt. I managed to fix the damage, but it was bloody annoying.

Also, practice tons before you even go near a mobel with an air-brush.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
a moisture trap is essencial in my view. Water in the sprayed paint will ruin the finish, and make it run like hell. It happened when I was painting the camo on my thunderbolt. I managed to fix the damage, but it was bloody annoying.

Ok I figured as much. Does the trap eliminate all concern, or just make it less likely?

Also, practice tons before you even go near a mobel with an air-brush.

I plan to. I may pick up another kit, and just clip it off the sprues and glue it together quickly. No filing, etc, just to practice on. After cardboard sheets of course.  :P

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
I believe it does stop it completely, or atleast making it very unlikely. (i don't actually have one at the miute). Getting water into the lines isn't exactly a common thing though, its just beslubbering annoying.

I would note that while GW say that their paints are sprayable, I've found them too thick even when thinned down. I personally use Tamiya mixed roughly 50/50 with accrylic thinners.

Once you get better, you can try changing the mix depending on what you want to do with it, for example, thinner mixes dry quickly, but allow a finer stroke.

you will also find that with a black base, you can effectly shade your models with the brush. This happens a lot on vehicles where the paint doesn't go into the pannel lines. This actually looks very nice when done right, and means you dont need to do it 'yourself'.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
Ah yes, thank you for bringing that up. Prime black, grey, or white? Mantis has weighed in, is this consensus? I'm ok detailing the panel lines if it will look a lot better with white or gray, but if black works just as well, I can't complain I suppose.  :)

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »
While tamiya is an awesome paint, and I use it myself, I also shoot gw paints all of the time.  You can use water, or other thinning agent and get it to the right viscosity.  I personally use windex with their paint, and get very good results.  Tamiya does spray much better, and have a lot of good military colors to choose from as well.

I personally wouldn't get that compressor.  It's very underpowered.  I beleive it only goes to around the 20 psi range.  I would probably go with an iwata smart jet over that, and it does for sure come with a moisture trap.  I got one for my first compressor, and it worked okay during the learning time.  It will steadily put out 25 psi continually.  This is still pretty low, but good enough to start with.  I usually use around 30 psi, and dial down for details a little bit on the compressor I have now in my studio (an iwata power jet).  A lot of hobbyists use a lot lower than this, and i"m only speaking from what I do in my work.  You might be totally happy with that compressor, and it is made by a great company so it will be quality.

I don't have any experience with aztec airbrushes so I can't speak to that, but I do know they are popular in the hobby world.

Offline Salted Diamond

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
I have an Aztec airbrush.  I got it back in 2003 so I don't remember which one it is, but I love it.  I think my compressor is from Testors.  I usually use Tamiya, or Model Master paints and airbrush thinner.  I got used to them doing 1/35 scale military models, and they work good for 40K stuff.

This reminds me, been meaning to get some new nozels.  *goes to see when payday is*
Elysians: For when you absolutely, positively, must have 100% casualties

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:23:37 AM »

On a related note, I'll also be trying out the Mig weathering powders. Are these as easy to use as they make it seem? It almost seems too good to be true.

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Also feel free to impart any beginner airbrushing advice!  :)

Looks like the airbrush questions have been pretty well coverd so I'll add to this.

The result of 5 mins work with 2 tones of Mig rust pigments, was the first time I tried using them and was pretty straight forward. The only real down side to them is the mess, the powder tends to get everywhere no matter how careful you are.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."