News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Old School" Necrons @ 2k  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
"Old School" Necrons @ 2k
« on: July 3, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »
Hi all! :)

As I'm still working on my "to be" 6th ed. Necron list (my previous one a bit down the page was designed with 5th in mind, and seems to need some more work), I thought I'd try to see if I could come up with anything sensible with the minis I have at the moment (haven't got any of the new ones yet). This is what i cooked up, please feel free to tear it apart  ;D . The Crypteks are the only new toys, as I have some Lord minis to represent them.

Overlord
Warscythe
Sempiternal Weave
Mindshackle Scarabs

Harbinger of Despair
Veil of Darkness

Harbinger of Destruction
Solar Pulse

C'tan Shard
Writhing Worldscape
Swarm of Spirit Dust

10 Immortals
Gauss Blasters

15 Necron Warriors

15 Necron Warriors

5 Necron Warriors

5 Destroyers

5 Destroyers

6 Canoptek Scarabs

Monolith

Monolith

Total: 2000pts

The list plays in a pretty straightforward, in-your-face style. Monoliths try to get the big Warrior chunks in Rapid Fire range early on, and Immortals Veil with the Cryptek to respond to threats. The Overlord goes with the other big Warrior chunk, and tries to head for combat. C'tan hides behind Monos as a CC threat/countercharger, and makes staying in cover dangerous for the enemy. Destroyers hang back and shoot.

Does this make any sense? Are there any glaring weaknesses (apart from Fliers, which can hopefully be brought down with massed gauss fire when necessary)?
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline syth773

Re: "Old School" Necrons @ 2k
« Reply #1 on: July 3, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
don't know if it was a typo but you have a squad of 5 warriors in there.

What other models do you have available?  That would help with what I can recommend you take without you having to buy a new army.

If you have them, I strongly recommend taking 3 tomb spyders with fabricators instead of the C'tan.  As a group they have close to the same effectiveness in close combat as the C'tan while being cheaper.  Also they can immediately add 3 scarabs to your scarab squad on your first turn (you can either boost your scarabs to 9 or just take 3 starting off and increase their unit to 6 and save yourself the points you would have spent on the 3 others).  Furthermore your tomb spyders with fabricators can repair your monoliths making them REALLY hard to take down unless your opponent brings in a squad loaded down with haywire grenades.

I'm guessing you don't have a ghost ark, I would really recommend getting at least 1 as they are really durable (it has the same amount of hull points as a monolith and it's a troop transport).  It brings in an entire necron warrior squad's worth of firepower all by itself that can be split between two targets AND it lets you repair dead necron warriors.  Plus if you load a squad into it they can fire by measuring from its hull so between the guass flayers on the ark itself and the warriors inside it you can bring 20 guass flayers to bear on 3 different targets, without worrying about any of them being out of range.  It's a bit expensive for a regular transport but is so worth it.  You could drop 1 squad of warriors to pay for it.

Finally, I would recommend having a little extra punch in close combat.  Either a lichguard or some necron lords with a royal court.  1 C'tan and 1 necron overlord arn't going to be able to cut it if you get hit by a dedicated close combat army.  But if you use your monoliths to teleport your troops around to keep them away from the enemy you might be able to avoid the worst enemy squads.

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Re: "Old School" Necrons @ 2k
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments, syth773 :)

The 5 Warriors are not a typo, they were intended to stay in reserve and walk to the nearest objective once the enemy has his hands full with other parts of my list.

Other models I have available:
-5 more Destroyers
-6 Heavy Destroyers
-20ish more Warriors
-20+ more Scarabs
-3 Wraiths (Necron, not Canoptek ;) )
-Tomb Spyder
-Some random Flayed Ones, Pariahs and whatnot, ie. conversion material

Yea the point of the list is to cook up something I can throw on the table with the minis I have. Should have included that list of minis on the opening post, though.

Spyders would be nice, but as you can see I only have one. I don't think it'll make much of a difference by itself, so didn't make it on the list. Same with the Wraiths, although except for them the CC options seem pretty limited...
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!