News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AoS Shadespire / Nightvault Deck Builder and Forum Guidelines  (Read 888 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
AoS Shadespire / Nightvault Deck Builder and Forum Guidelines
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:12:24 PM »
So, the Warhammer: Underworlds have just launched the official Deck Builder App on its respective website. Being curious already about Shadespire, I thought I would ask about some of the ground rules for discussing Underworlds. Are we allowed to post up Deck Lists for our peers on the forum to review? Or share them? Can we discuss particular cards freely, or should our conversations about these cards be more general and vague?

Since the site launched, I've delved into all of the available cards and had no idea what I was looking at, and more importantly, not much information about how to build an effective deck.

I found a Warhammer Community Article that shared some of the general rules for Underworlds, and with that knowledge I've built my first deck for Stormsire's Cursebreakers. I wouldn't mind discussing the list at all, I just don't want to break any forum rules intentionally.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: AoS Shadespire / Nightvault Deck Builder and Forum Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:34:10 AM »
I don't see why not, it's all public information. Just go for it.

I'm very much into Warhammer Underworlds, so I'd be happy to look over your decklist

I'm just very excited about the banned/ restricted card list, which was well needed and so healthy for the life of the game.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
If you are ever concerned about whether you would be violating the forum rules, it is never a bad idea to read up on them to ensure what you want to post is legit.  In this case, as long as you adhere to the first rule, you should be good.

1- Do not share, trade, or distribute in any manner here, any copyright material, without the express written consent of the owner.
Games Workshop's Intellectual Property (IP) Policy
Games Workshop's Copyright and Legal Information
To clarify: This includes posting statlines, pointcosts, rules, and such found in the codex or other publications (including, but not limited to White Dwarf magazine and the Games-Workshop website), that you are using. Totals for a unit is ok, but cost per model, upgrade, weapon or such is not ok.  Posting a rule verbatim is allowed only in circumstances where the debate is hinged around a key point in the way it is written.  If you are going to quote a rule, please reference it properly and only quote the portion of the rule that is required (ex:  Warhammer 40,000 core rule book; Page 47; <Section>; <Sub section>)

Basically, don't post rules verbatim, and you're in the clear.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »
Just post the deck-list you're thinking of, and I'll see if I can help.

I often find it takes a couple of games playing with your decks to get a good idea of which cards to replace.

As long as you build a legal power and objective deck, play a bunch of games and you'll quickly see which cards you don't use, or are hard to achieve.

For curse breakers, the main theme for them, is boosting up the fanged attack on the leader, and blasting people.

But, the other two fighters ,when inspired, are very capable too. The trickiest thing for Stormcast warbands is being careful how many charges you make, as you can be stuck not being able to activate anyone.

For objectives, I always avoid objectives which require killing the whole enemy warband, as that can be very hard. Otherwise, I would try and include a few 'score immediately' objectives, as that lets you get glory and upgrade during the action phase.

For upgrades, try not to take too many upgrades specific for certain fighters, as if they die, you're stuck with a dead card in your hand.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
Thanks guys! Sorry for the late response, here is the list:

EDIT: Forgot to add the Ploys!

Tome of Stormies:

12 Objectives: 18 Glory

Harness the Storm
Heavily Armed
Magical Supremacy
Purify the Earth
Hold Objectives 1 - 5
Conquest
Denial
Supremacy

5 Ploys:

Aetherwing Stance
Stormstrike
Stormward
Confusing Reflection
Confusion

6 Gambit Spells:
Chain Lightning
Cry of Thunder
Empathic Conduction
Healing Pulse
Levitation
Sphere of Hysh

11 Upgrades:

Blessed Blade
Eye of the Storm
Hurricane Step
Lightning Whip
Stunning Blow
Tempest's Might
Warding Blast
Potion of Constitution
Potion of Grace
Shifting Map
Tome of Incantations

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:40:10 PM by Myen'Tal »

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »
So, based on the cards from your list, I'm assuming the cards you can choose from, is the Echo's of Glory box, Gobbos, Eyes of the Nine, and the Nightvault core box?

Also, if I list a (r) next to a card, it's restricted, so you're limited to only 5 restricted cards in your deck.

Looking through your cards, there is two things which come to mind.

1) You need to choose a focus for your deck. Either Objective play, or agressive play.

Hold objective-based scoring is pretty difficult for three fighter warbands to accomplish. Supremacy, cannot be scored at all if one of your fighters dies. This doesn't mean you can accomplish these objective cards, but you need to play more defensivly to do so.

When I play Far Striders, I use Supremacy, Eternal Supremacy. and Our Only Way Out, as Objectives, and all three require three fighters holding objectives. But, knowing that, I play very passivly. I don't put my fighters in range to be attacked, and choose ploys and upgerades to push fighters around, and keep my guys alive.

You cannot score Conquest, while trying to score Supremacy. If you want to go in, and beat face, you'll need to focus on that. You have a lot of good objectives to choose from the collection you have.

I would probably drop all the hold X objective card, as they are far too situational, and can be very, very hard to acheive sometimes.

I think Purify the Earth, is far too card to get as well.

Harness the Storm, is a phenominal objective.

Some objectives, which I think are good to include are (Assuming you have echos, nightvault, and gitz, based on your cards)

Measured Strike (Score Immediatly is always good, as you immediatly draw a new objective and can upgrade sooner)

(r)Exteame Flank (Easy to get, and two glory)

Dashed Hope (Odds are, you'll at some point kill an inspired fighter)

Keep them Guessing (Two Glory, and easy to get, with some planning)

Sorcerous Scouring (With Stormheart's shooting attack being a spell, and very good once inspired, this is a great score immediatly).

Strong Start (Score Immediatly, and with stormvcast isn't super hard to do).

Those objectives, are good in any deck.

If you want to play defensively/ objective based I'd think about

Supremacy

Hale and Whole

Heavily Armed

For Agressive Play, don't take any of the above three lol. But take Conquest

Some other cards I think are decent universal cards are...

Quick on your feet

Singled out

Combination Strikes

Opening Gambit

The common theme with these cards, is they don't require anything too particular on the board to acheive. You don't need to hold objectives, or kill models, so it's hard to deny these.

2) Your power deck it Illegal.

Your Deck needs at least 20 cards. You only have 17.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of a majority of the spells, they just don't accomplish much, and ploys are the bed and butter of any Underworlds deck, and you're not taking any.

Cry of thunder is great, and Sphere of Azyr and Chain Lighting are okay. The rest are not terribly useful at all. If you want to heal a model, take a Healing potion. Levitate is not useful.

Your deck should be at 10 upgrades, and 10 gambits.

With Cry of Thunder, Sphere, and Chain Lighting, you'll have room for 7 ploys. Here is a list of some I'd consider.

Lighting Assault

Stormstrike

Circle of attention (great to combo with Cry of Thunder)

Damning Pack (Great to combo with Cry of Thunder)

(r)Pit Trap (+1 damage to a succesful attack, effectivly)

Sidestep (pushing is always handy)

Other spells you might think of, are

Sphere of Ulgu

Grinding Earth can be fun (and you can always drive back folks into the lethal hex, and there are a few objectives and ploys which work with lethal hex's)

For upgrades, you'll want to take the minimum nessissary, so you can get more gambits!

Most of the ones you took I think are fine.

Tempest Might is the standout, especially on the leader.

Some upgrades I'd look to include, would be

Faneway Crystal (movment tricks, and can be combined with a charge)

Gloryseeker (Put on your leader, for Damage 4 spell attack agaisnt wound 4+ fighters.

Great Fortitude (5 health is a big deal)

Great Strength (more melee damage, great against Orruks and Stormcast)

(r)Slumbering Key (Free glory at the end of the game)

I'd want to fit all the above in your deck. Besides Tempest Might, any of the other upgrades can be dropped for these.

Here is what I'm thinking in a deck.

My plan with this, is to play Aggressivly. The deck has potential 20 glory with objectives, which is pretty good. Just play for the objectives you draw, and don't worry as much about killing things. The goal for the deck is inspiring your leader, giving him Great Fortiude, Tempest Might, and Glory Seeker, so he can 1-shot-kill any fighter in the game at Range 3. The other two fighters are expendible, in order to keep him alive.

I hope this helps! My experiance is from coming first place at three tourniments, and 2nd place at another.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
Good tips, Squid, will go back to the drawing board on the Stormies. Also I just forgot to write down the Ploys in my post, I actually had some included in the deck. Also, I'm a little puzzled by this deckbuilder. So, if you take a certain number of ploys, the upgrades/gambits you have to take increases?

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:22 PM »

You're exactly right.

When building your decks,

Objectives has to have 12 cards.

Your power deck has to have at least as many gambits as upgrades. You need at least 20 cards in that deck, but you can have more, but you can't take more gambits than upgrades. Gambits are both ploys and ganbit spells.

If I take 13 gambits, I need at least 13 upgrades.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria