News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Online Rules and Netiquette  (Read 16322 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: 40k Online Rules and Netiquette
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 02:37:48 AM »
Just seems like obstructions to freedom of speech. 
Your legislated freedom of speech means not a lot here. This is due to the simple fact that this is not a public space. It is, for lack of a better term, personal property, and just as you can do certain things within the confines of your own land, that you cannot do in the public square, so too, can rules here be of a different nature than in a public space.
   We cannot condone piracy, theft and illegal behaviour here. It would simply open up 40konline to a multitude of lawsuits from GW (primarily) for breaches of their copyright. As such, we safeguard ourselves, and you all, and the continued existence of this Community, by enforcing a strict view on the dispersion of copyright-protected material. If you have an issue with this, that's fine, but as long as you are a guest on Raine's privately owned and funded forum, you will have to comply with the rules, or else we will be sadly forced to show you the door.
   I understand why this could be viewed as an unnecessary restriction of your freedom, but in order to maintain the existence of this forum it is required of us to safeguard ourselves, legally.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 02:46:41 AM »
Just curious, but as freedom of speach is an American right (primarily, although many other countries do have it), but this site is not a place per say i.e. not America, then could it be argued that there is no such right as freedom of speach on the internet?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »
This is essentially correct. Freedom of speech applies to the public space and the public forum, and is tied to freedom of assembly and the press. This never truly applies to private space, and even privately owned land, at least not under allodial title (which you can't get in the US, but that's another story entirely).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.