News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Spraygun + Bleached Bone  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Kalith

Spraygun + Bleached Bone
« on: February 8, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
Hey there,

So I'm about to repaint my whole army so I decided to splash out on the GW flamer spray painty thingy whatever and I had planned on spraying everything with Denheb Stone as a base. I was wondering though if I could skip that stage and go onto Bleached Bone straight away.
My models are currently painted a dark green and gone over with one of the old ink washes so I'm not sure if the spray gun can cover the models decently or if I really need to do the Denheb base first. Any thoughts?

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: Spraygun + Bleached Bone
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
Bleached Bone is too thin a pgiment to go straight on top of dark green. The gun was designed primarily for Foundation Paints so I'd definitely say fire up the Denheb first.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2009, 10:15:16 AM »
I'd go straight for bleached bone.  White based paint, as it is, are usually much more opaque when sprayed rather than brushed.  The white in the paint is too heavy to brush which is why it's all clumpy and mottled when brushed on by hand.  It's a quality of the titanium dioxide pigment in the paint.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
i second the foundation paint first, bleached bone second. i have painted DA robed figures and using the foundation paint first saved me so many coats of paint.

you could even throw a wash over the FP and then drybrush your BB and be nearly done.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
For brush painting, I would also recommend using the foundation layer first, but for spraying it wouldn't be required.  With the citadel airbrush, you are going to cover everything anyway, so you could save yourself a layer of paint and go for the bone first.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2009, 02:44:41 PM »
Agreed, I have found that when using a spray gun you can get good even coverage with almost any colour as you you simply add as you need to until its rich enough in colour.. Bleached Bone BTW, will cover almost anything, and prior to foundation paints, I often used it to prep for White or even Yellow...

Save a step, and go straight to B-Bone with the spray gun.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Kalith

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
Last question: If I fill the pot up to the second paint line, how much water should I add to get the right mixture? Should I go for a bit less or bit more than the line for the foundation paints?

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »
With airbrushing thinning ratios is a hotly debated topic, and will continue to be I'm sure.

Generally speaking, the consistance of milk is a good place to start.  So it will really depend on the color as some of those are of different thicknesses.

I tend to thin quite a bit and use many coats.  I would usually try 1:1 and see how it goes from there.  Air pressure also has a big impact on how paint will be sprayed.  You can probably get pudding to go through there if you used enough pressure.  I think that the gw airbrush has a regulator type atachement that comes with it so you can lower the pressure to use thinner paint to some extent.

Like when I'm trying to spray a line say one milimeter wide, I will thin some more and lower the pressure as the thinner paint doesn't need quite as much pressure to spray.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
JaPizzy pretty well sumed it up.. if your running 20+ psi then you can fire soe fairly thick paint around... Most guys are running 12-15 psi and Condensed Milk~ish is about the right mix for the paint... when you get down aroudn 5 psi though, you better be firing some pretty thin paint..

I generally thin a lot, and do several layers/coats... but pigment count is important too. I find that white and bone can be runn thinner than Yellow (for me) but it might depend on the paint brand your using as well, so I would say that you will have to experiement.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »
Experimenting is the key, and unfortunately when you don't have a long lasting airsource that can be a pain. 

Most spraying I do is at around 30psi, and I usually only lower it when I get closer to the surface.  I hardly ever shoot paint like gw any more though.  I find Tamiya works a million times better for models, and I use other paints for illustrations.  I'd say the lowest I get to is around 15psi for hairline details.

With a siphon feed airbrush like the GW one you might want to keep the psi a little higher as the brush has to work to get the paint up the tube and out the external nozzel.  An internal mix airbrush needs a little less and a gravity feed is even less.