News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2 Stormlord Flyer lists to compare (1850pt)  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Galef

2 Stormlord Flyer lists to compare (1850pt)
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
I am putting together a Tournament worthy Necron list but can't decide what "extras" to put into it.

The core of both lists is:

Imotekh the Stormlord
4 Storm Crypteks, 1 Chronometron Cryptek

5 Warriors in Night Scythe (with StormTek)
5 Warriors with ChronoTek & Stormlord
--------------------------

What I can't decide on is what to support it with.

Option A:
6 Scarabs
6 Scarabs

3 Spyders
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe

Defence line with Comms relay

Option B:
Destroyer Lord w/ Weave & MSS

6 Wraiths w/ Particle casters

Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Doom Scythe
--------------------------------------
Option A has 1 more Flyer and the Comms relay to bring them in.  Also having the Defence line to hide the Scarabs until they charge is nice.

Option B has more CC punch and has more guns turn 1.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
Re: 2 Stormlord Flyer lists to compare (1850pt)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
I'd go for option B. Because in 1850 points games your opponent would likely be more than capable of wiping out a unit of 6 scarabs, (if not both). I would also consider swapping out the particle casters on the Wraiths for Whip coils.

Plus, If I may ask. Are you sure you want that many flyer's in your list? I know Oink has had some success with flyer heavy lists, but having 5-6 in one list might make maneuvering for optimum efficiency a bit difficult.

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
Keep in mind that the Option A has a Def-line.  When deployed in my table half (i.e. beyond my deployment zone) scarabs cannot be seen at all for the first 2 turns.  By then I will have added 6 more scarabs to 1 unit, or 3 to each (from the Spyders).

As to Whip coils, I find that they are only good after pile-in moves.  Usually I only get 1-2 models affected on my charge.  Worse still is the fact that you need the Whips in front, where they tend to die first.

The casters also make more use of the D-lords Preferred Enemy rule.  I would rather have the 6 Casters than 3 Whips for the points, but that is in casual games.  Although I have given thought to dropping the casters for 2 Whip coils just for Tournament play.

In answer to you question about Flyers, I don't see alot of horde-style lists in my local area and my typically 2000pt lists always use 5 Flyers to great effect.  In the end I only have to leave combat airspace with 1-2 flyers a turn, leaving me with about 4 on the table at any given turn.
------------------------------------------
My goal with this list is to target denial.  My opponent will not see anything turn 1 (or it will have a 2+ cover).  Once Night fight goes away (hopefully not before turn 3), most of my flyers will have come in, and between them and the Lightning, crippled my opponent before any resistance can be mustered.  Then it is an easy matter of cleaning up the remains with more Flyer shooting and CC.  By turn 5 I should be able to deploy my Troops on objectives with no threats nearby.

I think I am leaning towards option B, though.

Current Armies:

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »
So Imotekh sits in a unit of 5 warriors desperately hoping that the chronometron keeps the night fight going as long as possible.

Hmm... very risky. It is only a small unit, and some enemies may be fast enough to reach him quickly anyway... others may be using barrage to sidestep night fight... whilst some can even ignore night fight alltogether (such as tau blacksun filters or the searchlight from a forward guard vehicle).

You run the risk of losing out on first blood AND kill the warlord due to that little unit. Mostly because you lack stuff on the ground to cause the distraction.

With that in mind, both of your options have their merits.

The first option adds that defence line, which you can just send the stormlord to ground behind (for +2 cover!). The scarabs here would also be a good way putting enemies off of charging... you can send the scarabs out to intercept advancing units.

Option A is good because it adds more units in a more offensive way - units that enemies also have to deal with as opposed to units that are there for protection.

Option B is a bit double edged though. You are banking on keeping night fight for as long as possible. If this happens, then the extra shooting from this option is pretty wasted! (but the threat of that combat unit gives the enemy a real headache)... If night fighting doesn't stick around... well... then you've wasted a ton of points on Imotekh!

I'll be honest - I played about with him at first... but soon after found myself underwhelmed by him and then switched to Nemesor Zahndrekh.

Finally. Be careful with the volume of flyers. They can be awkward to manouvre once you flood the skies. If you have ever played battlefleet gothic then you will have a bit of built in experience.

EDIT: corrected my reference of the options... that might have been confusing otherwise! lol!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 11:08:27 AM by oink »

Offline Galef

« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2012, 06:54:24 PM »
Having been won over by Immortals, I have recently overhauled both lists in favor of this:

Imotekh the Stormlord
3 Storm Crypteks, 1 Chronometron Cryptek

5 Immortals in Night Scythe (with StormTek)
8 Immortals with Tesla, ChronoTek & Stormlord in Night Scythe*

Destroyer Lord w/ Weave & MSS

6 Wraiths

Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Doom Scythe
-----------------------------------------1856 pts (intended Tourney is 1863pts)
*thinking about dropping this Night Scythe for a Defense line with Quad Gun, but I am not sure.

Current Armies: