News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Decal help, is it too late?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline SunFury79

• Crimson Fists and Tau Player
Decal help, is it too late?
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
I just read several posts about using decal softener on my Crimson Fists, but I can't find the answer to my problem. The wrinkled decals have been on the models for a several months now, is it too late to try to smooth them out with softener or some other method?
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, however, they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Rick

• meh
    • some of my mini's
Re: Decal help, is it too late?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
I just read several posts about using decal softener on my Crimson Fists, but I can't find the answer to my problem. The wrinkled decals have been on the models for a several months now, is it too late to try to smooth them out with softener or some other method?

I don't know, I think it should work.  Worth a try anyway.

Offline SunFury79

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »
I would think so too considering you can use softener to remove old decals. I e-mailed a company that sales softener with my question and I'll post their reply here.
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, however, they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
before buying try 50% vinegar (this is what their softener mostly is anyway)

Actually, after some checking, don't dilute it at all. Vinegar is 5% acetic acid (I thought it is 10%)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:09:56 PM by Skeeve »

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 05:41:17 AM »
Remember that vinegar should eat a little bit of the gloss if you put some.  However, it would also eat the first thing layer of paint if damped too long.

Fortunately, I had MicroSet and MicroSol purchased a long time ago for $1 a bottle.  Still didn't finish a bottle.  In my honest opinion, MicroSet seems like vinegar and MicroSol seems like vinegar with a little bit of alcohol or ammonia solution.

Lastly, use a "disposable" brush because vinegar and softeners kill brushes.

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
decals
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:44:03 PM »
hi guys. i am really struggling with my decals atm.

i don't have any solvent or softener, so does anyone have any tips for putting them on?
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:28:31 PM »
Water, as it says in the instructions.  Then use a moistened brush to manoeuvre it.  If you're trying to put it on a curved surface put a cut or two, to allow the transfer to flex, where they won't be seen.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Re: decals
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
hi guys. i am really struggling with my decals atm.

i don't have any solvent or softener, so does anyone have any tips for putting them on?

Please read the thread.  Skeeve and I basically spelled out that softener is basically plained old white distilled vinegar.

Offline SunFury79

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »
Well, I gave it a few days and the company still hasn't responded yet. I think I'll try the vinegar and pick some up from the store next time I go. Thanks for the advice guys.