News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is there a converting grenadiers/storm troopers article out there?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Wolf14016

Title says it all; As someone who is piss poor with green stuff, Ive been looking for an article on how to convert regular ol' Cadians to storm troopers / grenadiers, preferably with pictures. I know it's not the hardest conversion in the world, but some advice would be great.

Thanks! :)

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
Re: Is there a converting grenadiers/storm troopers article out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »
Well, I don't have pictures :-[. Really sorry. However, I did meet this one IG player who added a second lasgun power pack and a targeter to a normal lasgun.

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
I would maybe use SM scouts but if you think about it, you could buy the same amount of scouts as IG stormtroopers.

There is also this out there:

http://www.warseer.com/firebase/download/FB06/FirebaseSix_PartOne.pdf
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Wolf14016

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »
Aye, I read Firebase, and in the cadian sprue section (Which is a very good article btw) it says that there are lots of tutorials on converting cadians to stormtroopers/grenadiers online, but I can't find any. That's why I posted; was wondering if anyone knew where these are.

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:28:12 AM »
Sadly The article got moved over to the projects board, I'm almost getting tired of answering this everytime. Until it makes it to the frontpage (wherever that is) I'm just going to go ahead and repost the whole thing here.

Basics:

1) Less is more. If inexperienced it is really easy to use too much greenstuff, it might take a few attempts to get the amount correct but remember that what you might think is the right amount will often be too much.

2) Keep tools fairly wet. Water will stop the greenstuff sticking to your tools and make it stick to the model instead, don't soak them though. If you do you could end up wetting the model and then your GS will become harder to apply to the wet surface.

3) Always remember that Greenstuff is easy to manipulate after it has dried and can be filed and cut easily. Get the basic shape down using this tutorial and file, chop, trim, drill or whatever you like once it has dried.

4) Don't be disheartened if it doesn't look perfect straight away, look at my images, most of them look bad until the final stage.

Gasmask.

Step 1: I've started by placing a fairly small blob of Greenstuff onto the cadians face. You don't need to worry about removing any of the face or chinstrap as these details can be quite handy when it comes to getting the mask into a face shape.

Step 2: Spread the blob out over the face and tuck under the chin making sure to keep within the border the helmet provides. A fairly small amount of greenstuff can spread a long way over a face but it is easy to pull any surplus down under the chin and off the model.  You can see I've also started to get a face shape onto the mask, I've flattened the area over the nose and mouth so that it looks like there is a rebreather sitting there, I've also pressed down the areas over the eyes slightly to give a basic structure of a mask.

Step 3: Another really small blob has been added onto the nose and mouth area to begin creating a filter. This is simply flattened with the edge of a wet penknife. I've also used my penknife point and revolved it carefully in the eye sockets to create a deeper socket and also an edge around the eyes.

Step 4: I've added yet more small blobs of greenstuff to the eyes and filter and flattened them again with my penknife. On the left of the mask I've flattened a thin greenstuff sausage to make a basic bit of tubing. This part is the bit where you can deviate and personalise the conversion the most.

Kneepads.

Step 1: Start again with a small blob of Greenstuff and place it over the knee.

Step 2: Flatten this in 2 places, from the top and bottom at an angle to create this angled pad, this can be tricky at first but the blob of greenstuff is easily removed to repeat until you get it right.

Step 3: Looking back at the second step picture you'll notice that there is greenstuff ready for manipulation to the left and right sides of the pad. Flatten this greenstuff like in the image, also nudge the tops and bottoms of the pad where it meets the leg to form straight edges on the top and bottom of the kneepad.

Step 4: Now you've got the basic shape down its a simple case of carefully nudging the edges of the pad to make sure the shape is reasonably angled and symmetrical.

Arms.

Step 1: Start again with a blob on the arm. I reccomend not starting the hand plate just yet, it can get in the way whilst doing the arms first stage.

Step 2: Spread the greenstuff across the arm. Here the armour panel covers the entire lower arm, this stage is pretty easy and any excess can easily be removed. Once that is done it is time to place the panel covering the hand and then flatten that one too.

Step 3: Flatten the panels and nudge the edges to make gaps in the armour. I usually flatten with the flat side of my wet penknife and nudge with the knife at a 90 degree angle to the Greenstuff.

Step 4: Final nudging and flattening, this is the final outcome before filing and chopping, I'm happy to leave it like this to cure.

Upper legs.

Step 1: Place the blobs on the legs.

Step 2: Again spread it out and flatten into a basic shape.

Step 3: I've nudged the sides of the panel into this shape with the edge of my knife again to form a more symmetrical armour panel.

Step 4: The process is repeated on top of the skirt and on the other leg and final nudging and flattening takes place.

Final outcomes.

This model.

Gasmask.

Carapace.

Offline Wolf14016

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
I'm really sorry Markay, it didn't come up in a search and I didn't think to check. Thanks a lot though, it's exactly what I'm looking for!

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:55:58 AM »
Oh no don't worry about it :) Like I said, it got moved to the projects board so it wont show up on searches. My little whinge was because I don't really have a link to show people and instead have to find my article in a hidden section and repost it everytime.

Consider this thread the future link I'll post until it appears on the front page :P

Offline sysy16

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
Markay, where did you get the plastic plasma and melta guns?

Excellent article on the carpace armour/stormtrooper guide.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
The thread was last unearthed in May. Please don't dig around threads if they're more than a few weeks old. If Markay is still around they may PM you an answer to the question.

*Click*
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.