News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sky Deff, an Orky Jet Project  (Read 5308 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Sky Deff, an Orky Jet Project
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Feeling inspired by both a read thru of the new Death From the Skies codex as well as a quick glance thru the recently reprinted Deff Wing graphic novel, I've decided to start scratchbuilding some Flyers.  At the moment with my current rate of progress (4 days in), I think I just might build a whole armada.  Unlike many of my previous scratchbuilds, I'm not even going to attempt to make them 'store legal' and there will likely be only 5-10% of GW gray.

First up on what I plan on being a Flyer-palooza, is this bad boy, as part of my Orknid Project, the Burna Crone

(Note, for those wondering what exactly Orknid is, its a long form project of mine where I convert and scratchbuild models that can work for both an Ork army and Tyranid army)
I know she's not ultra airodynamic, but Orks.  Also she's inspired a bit from the Klingon Bird of Prey, because well I have to occasionally showcase my Trekkie Pride.

When it comes to the future armament of this bird, she's going to get a total of 4 missiles, a front mounted twin Supa Shoota with an attachment to make it appear to be a Flamer, and a turret attachment to replace the twin Big Shoota currently in place with a rotating weapon that will count as a Stinger Salvo. 

I'm still a bit shaky on where I'll be mounting the Missiles, can't decide on the top or under (but I have already decided that the missiles will be in a housing pod similar to the old Hunter Killer Missile pod.

Number two is a bit more ragtag looking at the time being, but I have major plans for her.  I know that she'll end up being my first scratchbuilt Wazbomb Blastajet (but not likely the last)

The front glyph gives you an example of just how much battle damage and detailing all the planes will eventually get all over.  I know for the most part this guy just looks a lot like a shell, but its still pretty young as a model, its still mostly just bits and bobs, but the shape is there to see.

I haven't decided yet if its going to be a 'straight' Ork unit, or if I'm going to modify it as a 'counts as' Tyranid Harpy.  It wouldn't have the head bit that the Burna Crone does (obviously), but I don't think it would be that hard to modify my plans for the Kustom Mega Blastas to also look suitable for a Heavy Venom Cannon, these are 'kustom' weapons after all.

That's what I have for the moment, expect updates cause they'll be coming.  Any and all comments/critiques/criticisms or whatever please feel free to post.  I wouldn't be making a thread if such things didn't help light the metaphorical fire under me to get the job done after all.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Sky Deff, an Orky Jet Project
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 08:57:52 PM »
Looking great. Can't wait to see it loaded with all the gubbins and dakka!

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Looking great. Can't wait to see it loaded with all the gubbins and dakka!
Thanks dog_of_war!  I hope I don't disappoint you too much with today's update, there isn't much Dakka, but a fair amount of gubbins, namely in the form of the Wazbombz armor plating and cockpit.

I know I need to add an access panel for the pilot to actually get in, but I think she's shaping up nicely.  Still have the undercarriage plating, weapons systems, rear wings, and Rokkit Boostas to do, but all in all I think she's probably around 60%.

As for the Burna Crone, well she took a tumble and I haven't yet been able to get it secured on.  All said and done, glad it happened now before paint.  I have to figure a way to beef up the support, but I know I'll get it.

This might not be a very exciting pic, but its my early attempts at the Skorcha Missiles, and the start of these Flyboyz ground troops.

The "rokkits" are made of a Balsa wood dowel that was placed into a drill which spun against a large file.  Of course it would have worked better if I had a drill that was made during my lifetime, or against a file that isn't pretty much worn out, but we all gotta make the best with what we have right?!

I know those PVC bits don't look like much now, but those bits will be the base of a Battlewagon and 3 buggies, designed after the vehicles from "Da Big Push" chapter of Deff Skwadron.  Trust me, they'll look awesome.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:16:44 AM »
Looking good so far! That amphetamine parrot from the rest shows the angling of the wings better, which really steps up the design. I'm not sure how thick those dowels are, but have you tried a large pencil sharpener? I've had success on the past with one and then I would just blunt off the edge. Keep up the great work. Its really starting to look very orky.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm not sure how thick those dowels are, but have you tried a large pencil sharpener? I've had success on the past with one and then I would just blunt off the edge. Keep up the great work. Its really starting to look very orky.
Thanks dog_of_war, that's a great idea! I'm going to pick up a pencil sharpener at the 99 cent store, so even if it doesn’t work, I didn’t waste a lot of dough.  At best it'll make things a snap and at worst I tried something new, both are victories in my book.

As for this update… well I’m getting things done.

As you asked for, this pic shows off the angle of the wing a bit better.  The gun in the turret port is just a mock up, using a design that I had on a couple of the old Battlewagons for a Kannon.  Although the more I look at this plane, the less I’m feeling it as a Wazbomma though.

It just lacks that certain something for it to be a Mekboy’s pride and joy.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to scrap it, but I am thinking of pulling the weapon mount and re-purposing this one into a Blitza Bomma.  I know I’ll be doing at least one Wazbom, but I think I’ll be holding off till I’ve got some more planes under my ‘wing’ so to speak.

Speaking of which…

These bad boyz are going to be the core of the next phase.
Der are phases?  How many?
*Kicks inquisitive grot*

One can never have enough scratchbuilding, or at least I can’t while I’m under the influence of scratchbuild fever!

That said, I can’t have everything up in the air…

Yup, that’s gonna be a perfect example of a Flyboy who didn’t pull up.  I’m debating on if its going to be a more recent crash, or a semi-looted wreck.  As for that mini plane, that’s the start of the first retrofitted buggy.

Lotza mor work coming, and I swear there will be Dakka soon!

Peace
~OD

EDIT Update: June 26...

I stopped working on the front grill of the first jet because frankly it looks more like the propulsion system from the Star Wars Snow Speeder then it does a grill.  Even though I’m likely going to scrap most or just part of that grill, I thought it would be worthwhile to show off that even mistakes can be progress (progress in the sense that I now have thought up a different rear engine concept, which could work nicely for a Wazbomma).

With the second jet, I’m not a super fan of how the turbines turned out, but then again it was another interesting experiment in doing something I hadn’t done before.  They’re not horrible, but certainly not great, I’m hoping a splash of paint will enhance the look.

Lastly in this shot is some of the prototype Missiles and a Bomb.  Can't thank you enough dog_of_war, your idea on the pencil sharpener worked like a charm!  Projects work so much better when you use the right tools.  When I started working with PVC as a scratchbuilding model component I was cutting it with a hacksaw, each piece took 2 hours to cut and every other piece came out at an angle even with using a miter box.  Then when I got the dremel it moved from 2 hours to 8-15 minuites depending on the diameter.  But now that I finally got a pipe cutter, its @ 30 seconds or less.  The right tools make a LOT of difference.

And the next big step is this

I don’t think I’ve ever scratchbuilt a mock up this fast before.  Then again, I did spend an extraordinary amount of time building last night.  It still needs detailing, glyph work, weapons, and I’m debating about if I’m going to armor plate the body or not, but still not bad for a day’s work.

Peace (yet again)
~OD
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:21:10 PM by OD from TV »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:37:32 AM »
Fantastic work - I just saw that you added an edit from a few weeks ago.

I'm glad the pencil sharpener worked so well for you. I've always had those projects, wargaming and other, where I've completed the project and figured out a million ways how to do it better or faster next time. It really pays to have that right tool the next go around.

That flexible black tubing looks stellar, as part of the exhaust. How are you going about the detail work? Greenstuff? Plastic card? Excited to see your progress!

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
I'm glad the pencil sharpener worked so well for you. I've always had those projects, wargaming and other, where I've completed the project and figured out a million ways how to do it better or faster next time. It really pays to have that right tool the next go around.
Your suggestion was by far one of the best I've ever had when posting WiP threads dog of war, and I am not saying that lightly.  Sure to some it may seem a no brainer, but truly such a simple suggestion has made a major difference in this build (as well as many future conversions I'm sure).  As for the better and faster, I think that's a trait of all modelers, especially when we aren't working within the confines of a kit's instruction manual.  The most important thing is to enjoy the time spent, that said I do occasionally get irritated from time to time about not being fast enough.  When that happens again, I think I'll paint my fingers red, it could work!

As for detail work, that's honestly one of my favorite parts of scratchbuilding.  I work in plasticcard, its is a medium that for some reason just flows for me.  Of course it'll be horrifying when they open me up on the slab and discover I'm 60% 30 and 40mill plastic shavings.

The detailing that's going to go into this project is going to mostly be lots of battledamage though, inflicted with a Dremel, a hand drill, knife blade, maybe even some jagged bits from dragging a saw around.  I could armor plate every inch of the jets (in fact there's part of me that thinks I should), but I know full well that would take up a lot more time and supplies of sheet styrene/Plasticcard then I really have to spare, especially since the Plastic supply shop nearby is no longer selling 30 or 40 mill, and their 20 mill is a dollar shy from doubling in price since I started being a steady customer.

But the real meat and potatoes of the post is the projekt update.  To that end I’ve got 3 planes almost done in the hanger, I estimate each is around 80% complete, nothing left but armament, detailing (cause theres never enough), and some engine work (which just might be more work then I am estimating).

I’m proud of how each is extremely unique, and to be honest I’m sweating it at the moment because I’m not sure how exactly I’ll be able to keep up that uniqueness with the rest of the models for this project.

Speaking of I’ve actually managed an end goal at the moment (even if I admit that the goal post is likely to move).  I’m moving towards an entirely scratchbuilt Ork Skwadron (with 2 wings of Blitzas, + a Best of Da Best wing of Dakkajets), a Kustom Wazmob (consisting of 3 Burna Bommas and a Wazbomma), 4-6 Warkoptas (because Flying Trukks for Troop carriers), and a slew of Rokkit Buggies.  Haven’t sat down to work the point cost out, but I’m thinking that this is definitely Apoc level and no where near competitive enough to win, but say la vie.

I’ve also figured out that this entire warband will be an homage to my Grandfather’s Aircorp Fighter Squad from WW2, the Black Widows.  Each model will have a black widow painted on them somewhere.  I’m definitely tempted to go mat black, but I’m also partial to Kaki, and Deep Blue.  In any of those cases I’d be detailing with Cherry Red, and Yellow Ochre, with various shades of brown dust weathering and a dirty silver for the guns.

But lets be honest, wouldn’t you rather see another shiny WiP pics and not blocks of text depicting plans for when this project is in the paint process?!

Here we have the start of 2 more planes, both of which I’m thinking will be illustrative of Wing Commanders.  The one on the left already has the nickname of Iron Gob.  I’m debating if I’ll add eyes above the gun port, and if I do if it’d be in just paint or 3D with card.  If you guys have an opinion please don’t hold it back!

As for the other fighter in the pic, this is the first model from this project with direct influence from Deff Skwadron.  While not an exact replica (because I’m not into making an exact replica for the Orks who are notoriously individualistic), you can see the parallel if you look at the top right box of the second page of the Sink Da Grimlug story (hint it’s the Fighta Bomma on the upper left of the panel).   Of course the similarity will be much more apparent has the model takes shape, its rather bland at this point of development.

Peace
~OD

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »

I especially love that you have an end game in mind. Many of my projects just spiral out of control before I lose interest.

I've used drills and hobby knives before to do battle damage, but have you ever tried using a punch with a hammer. It's great for dents if you don't go through the material, or if you do, it's a much more realistic projectile hole. It's usually best to do on the individual piece before you glue it on, due to the force needed, which will most likely damage the rest of the model.

Overall excellent work. I look forward to seeing some completed models and the type of paint jobs you choose. I like your idea of going black. Cavalier does an excellent black palette on his corsair force over on his project log.

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
These look absolutely wicked! Has there been any updates? Would love to see them painted.

Excellent work on texturing the PVC, always tricky to make that surface look dope. I love the vents too.

~Morty

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 11:33:08 PM »
Apologies for the dust, the past couple months have been crazy working conventions and haunts, but now that I’m back in unemployed land  :'(, konverting has recommenced (and what an update today is!)

So to answer your question Mortalis (sorry for the delay) YES there are updates and its going to be so satisfying to paint these guys, I've already been scratching my head as to the how, but at the moment I'm leaning towards airbrush.  And thanks for calling them wicked Mortalis, that's exactly what I'm going for!  As a side note on the PVC texturing (truly a bigger challenge then scratchbuilding in general) if I've learned anything thus far, its that I need to do A LOT more than I have been.  Not just for the looks either, but because a lot of that detail thus far as been shallow, the glue hasn't been gripping as well as I'd like.

And Dog_of_War I absolutely HAVE to try that hammer technique!  As for this...
Many of my projects just spiral out of control before I lose interest.
I totally hear you buddy.  For me the more common thing the past couple years have been that life itself spirals out of control and I'm running like a headless chicken without the time to model, and then because I live with a roommate and can't leave everything on the worktable like I used to, things get lost in the shuffle and when I finally have time to model again I can't find the project box or everything broken which leads me to the depression question of 'do I even want to fix this?'  Which honestly I looked at the stuff on Monday and was not into that, but today was different, which is why there is (finally) a...

Project Update!
So I don’t know how I missed posting WiPs earlier on this thread of the broken bird, but here’s just one of what will be at least a couple themed terrain pieces along with a little companion

The crashed plane is @ 85-90%, very little I want to add to it, a couple guns, maybe an unexploded bomb, and probably do whatever it is I end up doing to polish the thrusters off on the other jets (which honestly is something I really need to figure out soon).  As for the cute little Buggy, he needs guns (obviously), hubcabs, some under-rigging... actually a fair deal of work.  I'll be building at minimum 3 of these (very much a rip from the Deff Skwadron comic).

As for the work today though, I sadly discovered the box got shook up a bit and I had to repair the three that are mostly done.  I blame hot glue, but as that is the cheapest material on hand and these are for home games anyway I'm not going to upgrade to using the epoxy I'd like.  But today isn't about that tragedy, NO here's a new bird that will likely be a Blitza wingman.

At the moment he isn't super thrilling to me, its just another plane.  Which is fine since it's just going to be a Wingman, but I really want and NEED to do is spice him up a bit.  At the moment my only thought is something cool and unique for the faceplate (thinking a scratchbuilt metal skull with some exhausts), but if you YES YOU have any ideas please share with the class.

But that's not all!  Oh no, see today I wanted to really go whole hog, and put a massive amount of love into that Iron Gob (although he's lost a couple teef).

Due to not one but 2 times I've mis-measured this I have to really extend the back end (the first mis-measure was when I originally started the frame, the second being earlier today when I added the top thruster, which actually has unseen cuts from the powersaw to fit on the top so I'm stuck with that because I'm not risking my fingers for another try).  At the moment as an attempt to fix that size problem I'm thinking of adding onto the rear a bomb bay, even though I feel that would work better if it were a Blitza instead of a Burna.  Again if you have a different idea please let me know!

Overall since my plan is to amass 13-14 scratchbuilt flyers, 3-5 Buggies, 2-3 Terrain pieces, and 1+ Trukks, I figure I'm hovering around 35-38% complete on this project.  I wouldn't say the water is over my head on this project, but the waters probably around my neck.

I can't promise that this will get finished by the end of the year, but I am going to be updating regularly again, and I hope, nay Pray to Gork and Mork to fill me with the inspiration to make each piece a truly unique credit to Orkiness.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: Thank you Dog_of_war for giving me a new quote for the signature!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:49:54 PM by OD from TV »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
I wouldn't even touch those mis-matched thrusters. Aerodynamics be damned! If an ork thinks it will fly, it will fly. Symmetry is for the imperials.

I think one thing that may be missing from the models are some orky insignias. Adding some glyphs would truly spruce these up. You could add them as transfers or freehand during the paint job, but with such large models it would look great to have them look like raised cut-out pieces of scrap bolted to the frames. Very easy to paint after the fact, as well.

I also feel adding a grot or two hanging on for dear life always adds a bit of whimsy.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I think one thing that may be missing from the models are some orky insignias. Adding some glyphs would truly spruce these up

I also feel adding a grot or two hanging on for dear life always adds a bit of whimsy.

I completely agree with you on the Glyphs.  Usually Glyph work is one of my last details to add, and more then once something I’ve forgotten to plop on before priming.  With how large these birds are though, I can’t let myself forget the glyph work; thank you D.o.W. for the reminder!  And as for the Grot!  Brilliant, I think I might even have the grot or two hanging on be the representation of a rear Big Shoota on one of the Blitzas!

Its strange how I stated in my last post that the busy was dying down, it is (or rather soon to be was) November and I had spaced on the inherent insanity of Thanksgiving, not to mention in the past few days I’ve landed 3 small writing projects for start up production companies.  NONETHELESS I am motivated to get this project off the ground (so to speak) if for no other reason then when driving to a meeting yesterday I passed this sign from Gork and Mork

I don’t know what glorious man or woman owns this shop, but may they have many blessings from the Ork gods!

Project Update…

The first part of the update won’t have photos because they’re just too basic, but I’ve cut out and detailed the individual body bits for another 5 planes, and scratch built another 3 wings (I had forgotten how time intensive the wings are, but its worth it!).

But much more interesting (and photo worthy) is the upgrades to the Blitza wingman!

Clocking in at about 80%, she’s turning into a beauty.  The cab was inspired by the Model T, and while it doesn’t provide a sleek profile, it adds some great variation to the plane.  I’m not yet satisfied with the front skull, but I figure some teef will give it the character she needs.  Bombs and a rear Big Shoota are still needed, but I find myself debating a different quandary with this one.  On the front side before the engines, do I make a name plate or nose art?  There’s certainly merits for both, and nothing that says I can’t do both on opposite sides, and for the first time I’m contemplating full Ork glyph script of a name.  She’s going to turn into a real interesting one when I finish her off.

For the last pic of the day, clocking in around 90% is the Iron Gob

I’m really thrilled with the detail that shows on these pics, a lot of these details usually only pop after paint!  But beyond that, my solution for the mis-measure was the bottom mounted bomb bay.  This fixes the problem of the model not keeping the standard model’s size profile correctly, while also giving an interesting possibility for the Wizza Glyph, truly one of the easiest Glyphs in the Ork language and also one that I’ve never put on a model.  I’m thinking of adding that to the as of yet not added on bomb door at the rear of the bay.

The plane still needs glyphwork, I’m thinking of placing the Gob glyph on the top thruster, but as far as I remember there’s no glyph for Iron or really any metal.  I could be wrong on that, I have to pull out Waaargh the Orcs or Freebootas to check the old school Glyphs.  She still needs her own individual twin big shoota, and a rear stabilizing wing or two, but she’s really close to the finish line.

That said, my current finish line on the Flyers isn’t including bases.  Not yet anyway, I haven’t devised how I’m going to do them yet.  Sure I’ve already spent more then a few hours cutting out duplicates of the large Oval for them to be mounted on, but I haven’t quite figured out what the poles will be made of or how they’ll attach to the planes themselves.   At the moment I’m leaning towards using a Drillbit and Powerdrill to carve a hole at the bottom of each’s relative balance point, and the size of that drillbit will determine what size pole they’ll be mounted on.

But then I have issues about how to keep the pole level and the appearance of the base itself.  I could probably do what I did for my earlier scratch Dakkajet…

But I’ve already learned that the large scenic flyer bases like this make for minor headaches during gameplay (what with having to move the flyer to establish LoS, and various opponents who aren’t fans of conversions).  There’s also the issue of similarity if I was to go with scenic bases like the above.  One amongst a group is unique, a centerpiece.  But if I do all the flyers up with a base like this I feel that the effect would ultimately be lessened.  Nevertheless, this is an issue for another day, perhaps (if not hopefully) at my next update!

Peace
~OD

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »
You got me thinking on the stands and a simple google search for "model airplane display stand" revealed a lot of unique options that you don't necessarily have to have a post sticking straight up from a base into the belly of the plane. I'm kind of partial to having it attach to the rear boosters and sort of cantilever over the base. Someone with a little engineering skill could mass produce those quite easily from acrylic.