News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden vs Tyranids 2000 pts (caution: image intensive)  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Iyanden vs Tyranids 2000 pts (caution: image intensive)
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
The farseers of Iyanden remember all too well the horrors unleashed upon them by the alien menace known as the Tyranids. In dreams have they seen the war for their craftworld played out again and again. Today those dreams become a living nightmare. Age old warriors are awoken from their timeless slumber and great wraithbone constructs each as tough as any carnifex or tyrant are prepared for battle once again. A silent army stands against an unending tide in the hopes of preserving the remnants of a dying race…

My Army List: Tyranids!
HQ   
Hive Tyrant   Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Scything Talons
    Venom Cannon
    The Shadow in the Warp
Tyrant Guard   

HQ II   
Hive Tyrant   Adrenal Glands (+1 WS)
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Scything Talons x2
    Catalyst

Elite   
Tyranid Warriors x4   Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs
    Death Spitters x4
    Scything Talons x4

Elite II   
Tyranid Warriors x4   Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs
    Deathspitters x3
    Scything Talons x4
    Venom Cannon

Elite III   
Carnifex   Enhanced Senses
    Flesh Hooks
    Twin-linked Devourers x2

Troops   
Genestealers x12   Feeder Tendrils

Troops II   
Termagants x20   Fleshborers

Troops III   
Termagants x16   Fleshborers

Troops IV   
Termagants x16   Fleshborers

Troops V   
Hormagaunts x16   Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Toxin Sacs

Troops VI   
Ripper Swarms x5   Extended Carapace
    Leaping
    Toxin Sacs

Heavy Support   
Carnifex   Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Reinforced Chitin
    Spine Banks
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Scything Talons x2

Heavy Support II   
Carnifex   Adrenal Glands (+WS)
    Reinforced Chitin
    Spine Banks
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Scything Talons x2

Heavy Support III   
Carnifex   Enhanced Senses
    Flesh Hooks
    Reinforced Chitin
    Venom Cannon x2 (counts as twin-linked)

Army Total    2000 pts

The Iyanden army consisted of the following: (Going totally on memory here…)

Farseer w/ Runes of Warding, Fortune, Mind War, Eldritch Storm, Spirit Stones

Farseer w/ Fortune, Mind War, Eldritch Storm, Spirit Stones

3x 10 man squads of Wraithguard with one Sirit Seer each. Some had conceal. Not sure of any other powers.

3 x Wraithlords with Bright Lance, Starcannon, and Flamers.

My opponent built an army made ENTIRELY out of  Wraithguard and Wraithlords! Wow. I wasn’t expecting that. I assumed 3 WLords, 1-2 squads of  Wraithguard, and a bunch of shuriken to handle my gaunts. There were definitely enough wraithcannons on the field to handle my monstrous creatures. My only hope was that he wouldn’t get to use them. I knew my gaunts would be next to useless against those fortuned guard squads. And he won first turn. This would be interesting.

We rolled off. He won first turn and deployment.

Iyanden Deployment:

Tyranid Deployment:

Deployment from Iyanden perspective:

That’s a lot of bugs. Lol.

BEFORE TURN 1 I rolled to steal initiative. 6. Sweet. Tyranids go first.

TURN 1 TYRANIDS:

Everything rushes forward. (duh!) The CC Tyrant moves towards the cover in the center of the battlefield and the Hormagaunts just try to get as close to a wraithlord as possible. The goal is to tie up everything in hth with gaunts until my MC’s can reach the lines and wreck house. Shouldn’t have to suffer through too much shooting… I hope.

With movement and run completed, the dual VC Carnifex fires at a center Wraithlord and wounds it twice. 1 failed save. Awesome. The two broods of warriors fire deathspitters at two squads of wraithguard. Two casualties a piece. Not bad for a round of Tyranid shooting against these guys.

TURN 1 IYANDEN:

Farseers fortune both their squads. The army advances forward trying to get as much as possible within Wraithcannon range. Very exciting.

The farseer on the left side of the board unleashes an Eldritch Storm on the Gaunts in cover. He only kills 2. The Wraithguard account for 5 more! That squad of 20 is now reduced to 13. The wraithguard without a farseer also open fire on some gaunts and kill 3.

The Wraithlords don’t like the look of the monstrous creatures headed their way and unload with Starcannons and Lances. Two lances cause wounds on separate Carnifexes, one Ninjafex on the left and the Dakkafex in the center.

End Turn 1:

TURN 2 TYRANIDS:

Everything surges forward as far as possible. CC fexes run as well as a brood of warriors on the left in order to keep the Hormagaunts in synapse.

Lots of fleet sets gaunts up for the charge. Tyranid shooting turns up ZERO casualties. Stupid fortune.

From left to right, Hormagaunts charge WL in cover. WL kills one and another dies to combat rez. Ripper Swarms leap onto Wraithguard. They lose one swarm and kill one Wraithguard. Combat resolution finishes off a wounded swarm. The termagant brood of 13 charges the WG squad with a farseer. 7 die to the guard without a single casualty in return! OUCH! The other 6 die to combat resolution. (I’m really getting to hate CR at this point. This was only my 3rd or 4th game in 5th ed.) More termagants charge the wraithlord that was wounded by the venom cannon. 2 die to the WL and 2 more die to combat resolution. Genestealers assault the other WL. He disappears under a swarm of rending claws and chitin. They move to support gaunts with their feeder tendrils. The other gaunt squad assaults the last wraithguard squad with a farseer. They cause no casualties and lose 5 gaunts to the Wraithguard! (Geez these guys are tough!) Combat resolution kills another 4 gaunts.

(Okay, I’m getting sick of this. I’ve lost 13 gaunts just to combat resolution so far. And that’s with me getting the charge against a small number of models all with at the most 2 attacks. Sheesh!)

The center Wraithguard squad led by a farseer consolidates toward the Genestealers. That’s going to be an ugly shooting phase… 

The rest of the Iyanden army is stuck in assault.

TURN 2 IYANDEN:

Farseer and Wraithguard move to make sure Genestealers are in range of Wraithcannons. The Shadow in the Warp causes the farseer to fail his Eldritch Storm. Haha. That has to suck. He seriously regretted not having Runes of Witnessing for this game. The Spirit Seer kills one Genestealer with his Shuriken pistol and 6 more die to wraithcannons. That hurt! There are still enough left to be a threat, though, and those Wraithguard aren’t in range to charge. In the assault phase the far left WL kills 2 more Hormagaunts. 1 more dies to combat resolution. The Wraithguard kill another ripper base and cause an extra wound. Combat resolution finishes the wounded swarm off. Barely enough rippers to hold them in combat but they last. The other WL kills another gaunt and again I lose 1 more to combat resolution. The Wraithguard and farseer in combat with the last termagants kill 4 (the farseer himself accounting for 1) and then combat resolution finished off the brood. They consolidate into cover to prepare for the Carnifex and warriors who will soon assault them.

End Turn 2.

TURN 3 TYRANIDS:

Warriors and Carnifex on left side move up to support the Rippers. The CC Tyrant moves out of cover and towards the WG squad that killed some genestealers. The Dakkafex and Genestealers also close on that squad. The other warrior brood advances towards the WG squad with farseer in cover. The other close combat fex moves into assault range of that squad.

Dakkafex fires on WG squad with a farseer in the center and kills one. The Hive Tyrant’s Venom Cannon causes 3 wounds on the WG but all are saved due to fortune. The Warriors on the right fire deathspitters at the WG squad in cover. All shots scatter and one even wounds the Carnifex! That sucked. Lol.

The Warriors and Carnifex on the left charge the WG squad in combat with the rippers. Warriors do nothing, Rippers kill one WG and get wounded in return. Carnifex kills 3 WG. Combat resolution works in my favor for once and 1 more WG dies from that squad. The WL on that side kills 1 Hormagaunt and another one dies to Combat Resolution. Looks like things are back to normal after all. Heh.

In the center/right the Genestealers rend 2 Wraithguard, the Farseer kills one Genestealer, the Hive Tyrant kills 1 WG, the Wraithguard kill 2 stealer, and the dakkafex kills 1 WG and the Spirit Seer. Lol! That was quite the combat! Next to them, the WL kills a termagant and another dies to combat resolution. On the far right, the Wraithguard wound one of the warriors. In return, the warriors kill 1 WG and, despite being fortuned, the carnifex kills the farseer and 1 WG! 1 Farseer down, 1 to go. Then I’ll be rid of that stupid fortune ability for good.

TURN 3 IYANDEN:

Everything is in combat. Straight to the assault phase.
WL on the left kills 1 Hormagaunt and another follows to combat res. Warriors on the left side kill 1 WG and the Spirit Seer! Carnifex has nothing left to attack. 

In the center, the Farseer kills 1 Stealer, the Hive Tyrant kills 3 WG, and the dakkafex kills 1 more WG. The WL kills another gaunt and another falls to combat res.

On the right the carnifex gets one wound. It’s allocated to the Spirit Seer and he fails his Rune save.

End Turn 3:

TURN 4 TYRANIDS:

On the left side the Wraithlord failed to hit any of the remaining Hormagaunts. The Wariors and Rippers failed to cause any damage to the remaining WG, and the WG did nothing in return. The Carnifex, however, managed to get a whopping 4 wounds and finished off the squad. They consolidate towards the WL. Center: Only 1 Genestealer, 1 WG, 1 Farseer, the Tyrant, and a Dakkafex left. Only the Dakkafex causes any damage and manages to finish off the WG and Farseer. (Feeder tendrils are amazing!) They consolidate towards the next WL. That WL doesn’t kill any Gaunts this turn either. On the right the carnifex kills 1 more WG.

TURN 4 IYANDEN:

Left WL kills 1 hormagaunt and another dies to combat res. (Does this sound familiar to anyone else?) The WG on the far right put another wound on the warrior brood and finish one off. The fex kills another WG.

TURN 5 TYRANIDS:

It’s finally time to clean up. The Hormagaunts in combat with the WL chitter something unintelligible which the WL assumes must be something along the lines of “Pick on someone your own size.” This was assumed, of course, because a ninjafex charged straight through the cover into him. The WL hit twice and wounded twice but the Carnifex hit 3 times and put all three wounds on the WL. Only 1 WL and a handful of WG left.

Center: The Dakkafex charges the WL that was picking on the termagants. He takes no wounds and kills the WL (with a little help from feeder tendrils supplied by the last Genestealer. Lol!) The ninjafex on the far right finished off the last 3 WG.

TURN 5 IYANDEN:

Death. It’s permanent.

End Turn 5:

This was an ugly game. My opponent knew for a week that he would be facing my Nid army. He did not take what I expected at all. I assumed there would be guardians and a couple skimmers at least. Oh well. It was interesting to see. Just not quite as fun to play against. It was just multiples of the same units against more multiples of the same kinds of units. Also, writing battle reports for bigger point games is kind of tough. Lol.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 02:38:22 PM by Lord Alliben »

Offline Sir Sam Vimes

• Wych
  • Pontificator Extremis of Goovil
    • http://amrothdin.deviantart.com/
Re: Iyanden vs Tyranids 2000 pts (caution: image intensive)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
Nice rep, Alliben!

My opponent built an army made ENTIRELY out of  Wraithguard and Wraithlords!
Lol, never seen that one before.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:51 AM »
Nice report!

I gotta say I was fairly certain of the outcome of this one before the game began. The Eldar list is a perfect example of 'unbalanced'. He had plenty to kill your MCs, sure, but just about *nothing* to handle genestealers, hormugaunts, and every other little thing you threw at him to tie up his nasty guns. If he dropped a unit of Wraithguard to buy a bunch of other anti-horde stuff (like some Guardians and a unit of Scorpions, some Dire Avengers, War Walkers, etc.), he would have done a LOT better.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
The report was fun to read and the pictures were great.  Thanks for taking the time to post them.

NewHeretic

Edit:  spelling  NH
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:49:26 AM by NewHeretic »
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline XCrusaderguy01

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:26:16 PM »
A little sad for me to see hundreds of dollars worth of unpainted wraithguard/lords.  :-\

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:07:26 AM »
Well, your opponent might have done better, but the moment he actually moved towards you instead of away from you on turn 1 it was all over. Good game anyway, bad list, as Wyddr has explained.
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:21:12 AM »
The list could've had a lot of diversity with a lot of destructors to balance out the AP2 with some horde killing power.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 09:37:35 AM »
   Hi there, good batrep, it changes from having to write one to see Iyanden featured in battle, so thanks. :D

I agree with what has been done before: The list was not balanced and especially not to take on Tyranids. Conceal is almost useless VS Bugs, take Enhance instead or at worse Destructor.

Even so, he could have hurt much more if he had moved back instead of advancing with the WG, putting a widely spread (with two inches between each Wraithguard it means about 32 inches wide), Fortuned squad in cover to take the initial charge from most of the Gaunts, and block any charging lanes to the Wraihtlords who could have continued to snipe at the Synapses with impunity from behind the CC screen.

Meanwhile, the other Wraithguard squad(s) reposition to either shoot any aproaching MCs or countercharge and kill an insane amount of most of your small gribblies units through Combat resolution. I mean, 20 WG on the charge + Spiritseers + Farseers= 52 attacks hitting mostly on 4+ and wounding on 2+. Imagine if they had Enhance now, hitting on 3+... Probably wiping out the entirety of the small bugs in one go.

Or just let the sea of small gribblies locked there as an impenetrable CC wall for the bigger nasties, dunno...

I admit, with the amount of big nasties in your list, Alliben, he most probably wouldn't have won the day anyway, but he could have a whole world of hurt to your force before going though.

Of course, it really didn't help that you stole the initiative there...

Hey, congrats on the victory! You played well and your opponent badly, both in army comp and tactics and you deserved to win. ;)

Just for fun, lets say that I'd make a similar force (same models), knowing in advance I'd face your list.

HQ: 300 pts
- Farseer: Fortune, Doom, Spirit Stones, RoWarding, RoWitnessing
- Farseer: Fortune, Eldritch Storm, Spirit Stones, RoWitnessing

A third power  isn't that good an idea in my book.

TROOPS: 1187 pts
- Wraithguard w/ Spiritseer & Enhance

Maybe a Destructor could be useful but there's still 6 Flamers on the Wraithlords, so I do not see  it as a necessity.

HEAVY: 410 pts
- Wraithlord w/ Scatterlaser & Shuricannon + 2 Flamers
- Wraithlord w/ Starcannon & Brightlance + 2 Flamers
- Wraithlord w/ Starcannon & Wraithsword + 2 Flamers

One entirely dedicated to anti-horde duty, just to get nasties like Warriors and Stealers from afar, One dedicated to hunt MCs (ideally the Tyrants) and the Last to configured to take on MCs, both in shooting and CC: Shoot and Charge, re-rolls in CC, most probably taking out the target in the same turn.
   Ideally, the primary target for the two Starcannon/Brightlance WL would be Doomed.

Still 103 pts to spend, so:

FAST: 100 pts
- Vyper w/ Shuricannon
- Vyper w/ Shuricannon

Would have used these to block CC charging lanes, especially efficient to herd low STR gaunts.
   Of course they can be shot down pretty easily but then they count as Dangerous Terrain as well as cover, plus they divert fire from the WLs and WGs. Of course, they themselves have some interesting Firpower...

TOTAL: 1197 pts

I think I'll try to pull something like this against the local Tyranid player at 1850 pts (local format), writing a batrep too. See if I can act on what I profess, lol.

Starky :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:41:16 AM by Starrakatt, the Groovy One »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »
The AP4 is what's attractive about a destructor against genestealers. Otherwise, as long as you flamers to one destructor, the gaunts and rippers die faster.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...