News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Vs. Necrons 1500  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Wingzero

Iyanden Vs. Necrons 1500
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:53:09 PM »
Well let me preface this, by saying, that this post is for my brothers and sisters of the spirit host, and we played with 4th rules, with a touch of the 5th like true L.O.S. and run....

My list:

HQ:

Farseer
- Doom, fortune, Mind War, Runes of warding, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear.

Elites:

(8) Wraith Guard

Troops:

(10) Wraith Guard + Spirit seer
-Conceal, Singing Spear

(10) Wraith Guard + Spirit Seer
-Conceal, Singing Spear

Heavy Support:

Wraith Lord
-Sword, Star Cannon

Wraith Lord
-Sword, Star Cannon

Yes, I know, my list was 14 points short of the 1500, but I liked it.

His list, had:

A lord with the orb thingy.
The Night Bringer
20 warriors
6 Destroyers
a wraith
I think there was 6 or so Immortals
and a Monolith.

So we just did a basic cleanse mission.

As for Deployment, I put down the 8 man Guard squad, and the Lords with my Far seer, and spreed out the other two squads.

For some reason, the Necron player, kept the warriors, and Immortals in reserve....

He got first deployment, I got first turn.

Turn one

Not a lot happend here, I moved up, as fast as I could, I ended up a good distance up the board, about an average of 8 inches from where I started, and in as much cover as I could get.

At the top of the necron turn, he opened up with a particle whip, landed smack on my far-seer, and squad of Guard I had with him, the two Lords were just out side of the blast zone.

How ever, I had a good laugh when it came times for the wounding, out of 9 dice, he had 5 ones, that had to suck, so out of the reaming 4, I just ate one, on each of the first 4 Guard.

The rest of his shooting was lackluster, and nothing else took a wound.

Turn 2

After such a stellar performace from the Necrons, I thought, lets see what my dead-boys can do..., my far-seer guarded by 8 WG's and 2 WL's moved up into 'weapons range' of the monolith, and let lose, with 5 Wraith Cannon shots, since they were the only ones in-range, And the dice gods said...

Well not bad, I thought, two Pens, and three Glances.

For the Glances, I got, Immobilised, Immobilised, Weapon Destroyed.

But the best part was the Pen's, double 6's, you know the one, the big boom! too bad I got nothing grate for the radius.

That all being said, the look on his face, when he found out, what those cannons do, well, he just about had a heart attack, he was pushed to almost phase out, with that one blow.

My other two Guard units, moved a little closer to his destroyers, and the Night Bringer....

His turn 2:

Well having dealt with the loss of his star player, he moved the Night Bringer into almost Close Combat range, and blasted me with his shot, that wounded, but didn't kill, he asked why, stating that it S9, and I said, true, but my Guard are T6, I think I saw him cringe a little more, when I said that.

He moved his Destroyers up into a position, where they could get a shot off at the Wraith Lords, shot and he jumped for joy, when he got 5 sixes, from one squad, and boasted that that'd bring down my 'vehceals', when I informed him, that they were monstrous creatures, and not vehceals, I think he learned that he was a little outclassed.

Well, I'm not one for writing long winded reports, nor am I all that skilled at typing them out, so long story short, I won, after the shooting phase on turn 3, due to phase out.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

Re: Iyanden Vs. Necrons 1500
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
stating that it S9, and I said, true, but my Guard are T6, I think I saw him cringe a little more, when I said that.

Your point being...what, exactly? The shot still should have killed your Wraithguard anyway, since S9 wounds on a 2+ against T6.

BTW, how did you deal with the Nightbringer?

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:51:55 PM »
I dealt with him, with phase out :P

And yes I know it does, never said it didn't.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »
I dealt with him, with phase out :P

And yes I know it does, never said it didn't.

Sorry, it's just that the way you phrased it made it sound like the Wraithguard wasn't killed BECAUSE of T6. I assume it made its cover save?

Offline Aluinn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 08:10:05 AM »
Well, I'm not one for writing long winded reports, nor am I all that skilled at typing them out, so long story short, I won, after the shooting phase on turn 3, due to phase out.

I don't want to be mean. I know you tried, and I appreciate that. But to be honest, this whole report amounts to army lists and descriptions of you "pwning" a couple enemy units, which does not a battle report make. I'll assume it wasn't your intention, but it comes across as you boasting about winning a game on Turn 3, and little more.

This game doesn't sound like it was very fun to play, for either of you. That means it doesn't make a very fun read as a battle report. 

Offline Lode

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »
Did you feel that mixing just some element of 5th edition into a basically 4th edition game made it unbalanced?  (or it just didn't lasted long enough for you to see any difference? ;) )

I'm curious, as I would think to just add "run" for the fun of it and not all the other rules would make for a game that might favor one type of army over another.  Any other 5th rules you used in there besides TLOS and run?

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »
Okay, I know, that I'm not goo about writing these, and the game didn't last long enough, to really see if things like run or TLOS made much of a difference, how ever, getting my shorter range units up the table that much faster, got me in range of my attacks that much faster, and for me, it did make a difference.

I do think though, if he deployed, his warriors and immortals, rather then wanting to DS them, it would've been a very differant game.

That all being said, the Necron player, didn't know the Eldar units that well, had he known them, I think he would've made a very differant list, and had the dice gods been with him, he should have done much better, but the fact remains, that he rolled very poorly, the entire game.

At any rate, I said that I'd play him again, once 5th comes out, for a rematch, since I felt that this battle was a little one sided, so it should be interesting to see what happens next week.

Offline Lode

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:40:33 AM »
Don't feel too bad about a few criticism ;)  Besides you'll get better, and I'm guessing the next battle report you'll write will have more battle to report on anyway! :D

For what it's worth, I enjoyed reading it, and how it was presented and written :)  Yeah, it Was kinda one-sided but hey, sometimes, it just is ;)  Hopefully the Necron player will give you a memorable rematch.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:41:37 AM by Lode »

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I hope so, I personally learned my lesson about DS'ing large amounts of one's army, is a huge gamble, by playing Death Wing for a good long wile....

And I do appreciate the criticism, it's helping me learn about what to write, and what not too.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:26 AM »

That all being said, the look on his face, when he found out, what those cannons do, well, he just about had a heart attack, he was pushed to almost phase out, with that one blow.

What can your guns do to a lith  that is so special????  just curious since it has living metal so no mods to your weapons against it??  like an extra dice or lowering it to a 12. 
 not to familiar with wraithgraud weapons

but congrats on the win...

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »

What can your guns do to a lith  that is so special????  just curious since it has living metal so no mods to your weapons against it??  like an extra dice or lowering it to a 12. 
 not to familiar with wraithgraud weapons

but congrats on the win...

On the damage a 1-2 = nothing, 3-4 = glance, 5-6 = pen. no matter the armour, you are basically forcing that point into the warp. Against non vechiles, they wound on a 2+, on a 6 they inflect instant death.

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »
well I do believe I have the same look

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
Yea, I know, such nasty little guns on those 35 point guys, but mind you, they are only 12 inch range....

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 09:55:56 PM »
there a very painful 12 inches which you must get through to get to them

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
Quote from: typhon of gore
there a very painful 12 inches which you must get through to get to them
   Well, Bikes, Jump Packer, Beasts, Open Topped transports/Land Raiders, Lictors/Raveners, Fleeting units. Hordes too: these guns are only Assault 1 after all, but they do shine against very elite/costly models and units.

Congrats on your first batrep Wingzero, like stated earlier you shall get better if you pursue. ;)
   I agree that the fight was one sided, your opponent erred badly in letting your WG getting close enough to his Monolith (he should have inquired what Wraithcannons does).

Is that your usual general list, a test list that you made for fun alone or a custom anti-Necron one? Because I noticed a serious lack of CC and anti-horde units in there, just curious.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Wingzero

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:45:29 AM »
well it was my first Iyanden list, so I wanted to make it some what spirt-hosty...

my usual Eldar list, is much differant, but this one some what inttersting to say the least.