News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranids after cleaning a planet  (Read 2500 times)

Offline kim

Tyranids after cleaning a planet
« on: June 9, 2016, 12:20:45 PM »
Got a lore question. genestealers are vanguard organisms, and there is a new figure out, a broodlord, who is a big genestealer. Would the hive use their experience further on, as a hive tyrant, and upload them, or move them by ships?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Tyranids after cleaning a planet
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
They would get re-consumed by the hive (along with everything else). Their biomass would be recycled, basically, as their task is now complete. The information they gleaned would already have been "uploaded," as it were (that would happen as soon as the Hive Fleet was in psychic contact with them), so keeping the organisms in tact would be unnecessary. 

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »
They would get re-consumed by the hive (along with everything else). Their biomass would be recycled, basically, as their task is now complete. The information they gleaned would already have been "uploaded," as it were (that would happen as soon as the Hive Fleet was in psychic contact with them), so keeping the organisms in tact would be unnecessary.

/Thread   ;D
Wyddr has it pretty much spot on here, when the Hive fleet is breaking down all the biomass on the planet it is literally everything on it including Gaunts, Genestealers etc. They all go to the Reclamation Pools and are then sucked up to the Hive Ships via Capillary Towers.

If you have a look at the Tyranid Lexicanum page online there is a really good explanation of it and even a break down of what happens step by step including a timeframe!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline kim

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »
I think i saw that timeframe in an earlier Codex.  :)
Its just, isnt the hive tyrant described as having its own ship, who saves the tyrant and makes sure its "imortal" so to say, by its own psychic Connection? While a genestealer turns patriarch / broodlord by being the oldest. Do the genestealer leader have some background lore?

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 08:28:09 PM »
There are some odd cases (read: Tyranid special characters) where seemingly the same and unusual individual Tyranid organism will reappear on other worlds. Whether this is a case of preservation of a single organism, or some form of cloning that also includes scars and lost limbs/organs (like in Old One Eye) is deliberately left uncertain by GW. I haven't heard that Tyrants are preserved individually, but I'm not the biggest expert on 'nids here.

Genestealer Patriarchs are either the first or the oldest surviving Genestealer of a Genesteale of a Cult. I imagine that Broodlords are similar, though I haven't checked up the specifically. Once the Genestealer Cult gains a certain critical mass, the Patriarchs will gain much greater psychic power, and start amassing followers through charismatic Hybrids and such. They start sowing dissension and unret and infiltrates a planet. They then start acting like a psychic beacon for the Hive-fleet. Once the planet has been overrun and stripped by the Tyranids, all Genestealers are absorbed back, this includes the Patriarch, Broodlord, as far as I know.

Genestealers are particularly interesting for the Tyranids to absorb, as they contain a great deal of hybridization and thus new information for the Hive-fleet.

EDIT: Looked around a bit, and while Tyrants are physically absorbed, all their experiences and memories are preserved for "reincarnation". I doubt this is true for Broodlords/Patriarchs, since they essentially mature from ordinary Genestealers, as far as I recall.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:30:59 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #5 on: July 1, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
The background is a bit vague on this one, and has changed over the years, obviously. It used to be that Old One Eye, a special character, was really just a regenerating carnifex from hive fleet Behemoth found entombed on a planet in the ultramar system. To make it 'playable' for other hive fleets too, they invented the reincarnation idea - this got even weirder with the Swarmlord, which somehow had a tactical acumen better than the hive mind itself, but then can be absorbed and rebirthed in a completely different hive fleet half a galaxy away... but still always only one. For the most part, Tyranid players think it's silly to have special characters at all, especially unique ones, and would rather just treat these examples as 'rare mutations'.

As for preserving tyrants and other creatures on 'board' a hiveship... first we should not forget that the hive ship isn't really a ship, but rather a really, really big Tyranid creature itself. Supposedly the brain within the Hive ship are one or more (depending on size) Norn Queens, which do the selective breeding and dna sequencing to adapt to what's needed. Apart from that, a number of other creatures are kept alive and un-absorbed throughout the ship, mostly for defense against boarding actions. Most of these are in suspended animation, sleeping troughout the voyage, but a number of Tervigons are always awake to provide a quick, rapid response force through the birthing of Termagants to slow any assailants until the nastier creatures have been woken from their sleep. It is perfectly viable for a Broodlord to be one of them.

That only specific creatures are taken whole back to the fleet, because of their experiences, seems like an idea that was once thrown in but not really thought through (kinda like the Swarmlord), because as was previously said, all absorbed matter will also be sampled, and all knowledge is already available to every part of the hive fleet within synapse range.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.