News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gargoyles and Dark Eldar  (Read 1393 times)

Offline The Last Melon

• ***PERSONALITY IS FOR THE GUARDSMEN***
  • Armies: Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines
Gargoyles and Dark Eldar
« on: January 5, 2013, 04:50:50 AM »
I have a friend who has a newish Dark Eldar army, in which he spams Wyches in Raiders, along with 2 squads of Kabalite warriors, also in Raiders.  Since this army has been constantly outmanouvering my largely Gaunt based army, I would love your opinions on how effective Sky-Slashers, Gargoyles, Shrikes, Flyrants and Harpies are at facing off against Dark Eldar.  Also, any opinions on hw they should be backed up in the other slots (from 1500 to 2000 points).  I don't need an army list, just some advice from people who've had the same problem.  Thanks!   ;D

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Re: Gargoyles and Dark Eldar
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Let me guess, he is staying in the back and out maneouvering you as well as spamming Long range Lance weaponry!?  I'm quite sure!

I have little experience Vs. DE but I can help you with what I DO know.....

They have superior shooting and shooting range which makes it difficult for us.  Heavy Venom Cannons could prove useful because of the range and the new rule set simply puts any part of the blast marker over the hull is a full strength hit, instead of the old rules requiring the hole of the template.   You just have to hope that they stay in your firing lanes, so you will need multiple of these.

I used Y-Genestealers to good effect but at an expensive one.  They are great at surprising your enemy in the terrain that they hide around, go with the extra attack to help ensure Rending hits.  The downside is that they are subsequently left vulnerable but it works.  Sometimes it requires sacrificing pawns to acheive another purpose as well as distraction while other units move up.

Flyrants are a win.  You can Vector Strike with these as well as use dual TL-Devourers which should cause at least enough glances to their Raiders to reduce their hull points to destroy them.

Regarding Gargoyles, well, I haven't used them with the new rules set because I think they have lost their zing and impact because the new ruleset is so focused on shooting now which means overwatch will destroy them prior to the charge.  They can be a great counter-assault unit I am sure of that.  Consider charging with a Flyrant and follow up with Gargoyles, that could work.

I would discourage the use of Shrikes, they are expensive and fragile and the Lance weaponry will insta-kill them easily.

Thats all I can think of right now.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline The Last Melon

• ***PERSONALITY IS FOR THE GUARDSMEN***
  • Armies: Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:33 PM »
You got his tactics in one!  Many thanks, I will try your advice next game!

Offline Sharzak

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »
I play more DE than anything else.  Consider taking Zoanthropes and Hive Guard to pop their boats--it's sort of like cracking the shell on a crab leg to get to the soft, delicious meat inside.  Harpies are irritating when fielded in smaller squads, anything larger vs DE and it becomes sort of a waste of points.  You don't need to do much to kill them so try to avoid going overkill as much as possible.