News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Promethean Dragons [counts-as Legion Of The Damned in a Salamanders army]  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
Re: Promethean Dragons
« Reply #40 on: August 5, 2011, 02:23:08 AM »
yes.  that does help, but with the fluctuating gravity on the salamander homeworld it makes using landspeeders and bikes harder to use so they have less of them and prefer not to use them.  the point I am trying to make is I do want them to have special rules.  or I would have just used a codex model.  so I just wanted to present them in a quick fashion and present the entire unit... and maybe get help on the details.  but the important thing isn't the rules it is the unit.  the unit comes first and little details about the rules come next. 
   I envisioned a unit that was aesthetically pleasing first of all.  then I am thinking about a unit that can take all flamers as a sidebar for little missions at home with the buds.  and have scales that do something like add armour save or allow re roll armour saves... i don't care what they do but I want them to have a purpose.  these things will distinguish them and make them unique.  I don't want to play strict codex marines or I would have picked a vanilla marine army like Ultra weenies.  the salamanders have very different unit composition.  they have 6 companies instead of ten, and each company consists of 120 marines instead of 100.  so they are very different and not the same.  Given this deviance, I think I can deviate from the codex slightly and give them a special unit.  I mean the Fire Drake terminators of the first company veterans are cool, but they are still just elites of the first company, and I want something more. 
  "Their song shall die first!"

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #41 on: August 5, 2011, 03:16:33 AM »
If you want to house rule some uber unfluffy wrecking-ball unit that doesn't fit who the Salamanders are, then obviously do it at home. Anything beyond house rules will need to stay within the realms of what the rules allow.

Seriously, you're getting hung up over these drake scale cloaks now, which have no reason to be able to do anything, and your insistence that they should is getting in the way of just having cool-looking models. Cool-looking models are literally all you need to distinguish your guys from the next player's. By all means give a Sternguard unit badass cloaks, but just leave the pointless magical boost effects at the door. Like I said earlier, it's just an excuse for not using them intelligently, or even well.

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: August 5, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
Last suggestion I can give you is don't use C SM and try the Dark Angel's codex.

Use the Dark Angel's codex if you want to make them table legal at your local shop. There veteran unit's can all take combat or storm shields. Instead of modeling them with combat or storm shields just model them with with drake scale cloaks and say they "play as" combat or storm shields. They can also equip every veteran in the unit with combi-flamer's. Combat shields give you a 6+ invulnerable and storm shields give you the 3+ with about a 10pt difference between the two.

That is about as close as you will ever get to being able to make these guy's table legal in any shop or tournament. Now you would have to build the rest of your army off the DA codex but it's very similar so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also a note about the bikes and speeders. If you reread my suggestion I wasn't using bikes. I was suggesting you use drake style mounts from the Dark Elf fantasy army to have a space marine mounted cavalry that rides drakes around and just use them as "play as" bikes again perfectly table legal in every table from here to the GW studios.

Beyond that sounds like your dead set on just making up some rules to fit whatever you model if that's the case as the one previous poster stated the Forge forum is better suited to that.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2011, 09:17:54 AM by Azash76 »

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 7, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
My suggestion is this if your looking for modelling tips or fluff perspective develop this thread here for actual rule/unit creation head over to the forge as the guys in that forum are much more competant at judging balance etc.
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
« Reply #44 on: August 8, 2011, 03:00:11 AM »
k can do.  I will move this.  probably under a similar themed idea.
  "Their song shall die first!"