News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Zoanthroper psychic powers  (Read 2612 times)

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Zoanthroper psychic powers
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »
If man decides to exchange a psychic powers for 3 model zoanthroper unit would each one roll a dice for a new psychic powers? If yes would it have to be in same  psychic disciplines?

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
Re: Zoanthroper psychic powers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
Each Zoanthrope would get to generate his own powers, and there is nothing restricting them from picking different disciplines.

Keep in mind that you can't just swap out one power and keep the rest, swapping powers is an all or nothing deal, meaning you would lose both Warp Lance and Warp Blast.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
thx alot GaleRazorwind I had read the FAQ over multiple times but somehow I always overlooked that you must swap all ..... codex psychic powers for psychic powers in the rulebook :)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:23:04 AM »
Yeah, it has certainly been interesting absorbing all the new information. I have been pouring over the rulebook and my codexes and the FAQs, and I found a lot of cool things. Admittedly, I keep finding things which I may have dismissed too early. For instance, as I mentioned on the other thread, I initially thought Enfeeble would be a fairly useless power, until my Swarmlord decided to generate it and used it on a 20 man Berzerker blob before charging it with my 9 man Ravener squad with FC from the Swarmlord. Raveners wounding Berzerkers on a 2+ = win!

The new psychic powers definitely generate some wonderful possibilities. I'm not sure if Zoanthropes are the best unit to take advantage of the new powers, given that they might end up in a very confused roll, although they do have the best BS of all of our psykers, so they can make good use of the Witchfire powers. We have to examine what their roll was in 5th edition and figure out what roll they will play in the new edition. Zoanthropes and their Warp Lance were our ultimate anti AV14 weapons, and were typically run as a 2-3 man squad in a spore, intended to be dropped right next to the biggest target they could find to blow it away, but with the changes in survivability of vehicles, we seem bound to encounter far fewer vehicles than before. I think the question now is whether to take them in a Spore or not. My line of thinking on this matter is that once you see what your opponent is fielding, you could make the choice of whether or not to replace your powers. If they are running big vehicles, you're probably better off keeping your Warp Lance, but if they don't really have anything that the Zoanthropes excell at destroying, you could generate powers for them on the Biomancy table and use them as a support unit. The reason you have to consider whether to put them in a Spore or not is because they have to use it if you buy it for them, and if they decide to play a defensive roll, and they end up with Blessings and Maldictions, they won't be able to use their powers on the turn they arrive from reserve since those powers are cast at the start of the movement phase.

An interesting thought did occur to me. Generating psychic powers is done on an individual basis, one psyker at a time. If you really wanted to, you could have one or two Zoanthropes keep their powers while their squad mate(s) generated powers, and you could decide whether or not to keep swapping out powers once you see what the first one got.

Oh, so many possibilities, so little time to get games in... One game a week when you have a new rule set to explore just doesn't quite cut it. Well, thank you for getting me thinking about Zoanthropes and generating powers. It seems I may have dismissed the idea too quickly, and I just might have to try it out in my next game.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:56 AM »
I personally don't see any reason to run thropes using the new powers. Since they're randomly generated you have no way of guaranteeing what you'll get, and to be perfectly honest the ones they come with are excellent. Warp Lance is obviously phenomenal for popping big vehicles (even more so now thanks to AP1), but the best thing about Zoanthropes (and why I tend to take them instead of Hive Guard, against conventional wisdom) is that if vehicles aren't a priority, Warp Blast is a brilliant power for doing lots of damage to infantry. A brood of 3 Zoanthropes can fully expect to wreck face against anything less durable than a terminator, and since psychic resistance is now less reliable with the loss of psychic hoods, against lots of armies they are phenomenal.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
best advice I've heard so far is to take a brood of 3, and have the first exchange it's hive-mind granted powers for Telepathy. The next bit of that advice centered on hoping for invisibility, and warp lancing the heck out of stuff.

Personally, I've rarely taken Zoans in pods, their good invul save and synapse has always made them a fairly stout synaptic center to my army.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »
Zoanthropes can't use Invisibility. That is a 2 point power.

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
oops. well, scrap that plan.

Offline BritishBill

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 05:50:58 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Chuckles.

If warp blast or warp lance were in the shiny new pack of psychic powers, these would be the ones that people would be hoping to get. Their other advantage, is you can benefit from having them multiple times which is not the case with some of the newer powers. The greater difficulty in negating these powers also helps.

The only thing I see as being better than having three Zoanthropes, is having six or nine as a central block for your army. My own force boasts nine and 30 gargoyles screaming towards the enemy lines with initial synapse control from the gargoyles. I also have a flying hive tyrant for this purpose.

All of these are high priority targets for my opponent, which of course causes confusion ...

So if you really want to mess with the new psychic powers, I would suggest Broodlords for this purpose.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:54:58 AM »
So if you really want to mess with the new psychic powers, I would suggest Broodlords for this purpose.

Definitely. I would say that either Biomancy or Telepathy are the best options here. With Biomancy you have a very good chance of getting at least one of Iron Arm and Endurance, which are both fantastic powers for us (especially Endurance), while Telepathy tends to get around the BS 0 issue.

Tervigons however I would also suggest as being a good platform for the new disciplines, since they are durable and are natural support platforms for the rest of your army anyway.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
Biomancy on Broodlords worked out well for a friend yesterday.  He got 3 rolls for "Enfeeble", which resulted in T2 Necron Wraiths getting lit up.

As for Zoanthropes, I took 3, and exchanged 1 for Telekinisis.  I rolled "Gate of Infinity", and suddenly had the threat of blink-anthropes which actually won the game by jumping into my opponet's deployment zone and attempting to toast his scoring units late in the game. (Linebreaker, and immobilized the Ravager)