News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF.  (Read 35577 times)

Offline StraightSilver

Re: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF.
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
Hi guys,

Well it's been a while hasn't it? :)

Unfortunately had a fairly crap start to the year, split up with the missus in January, and in between sorting out my flat etc I haven't really been getting much hobby done of late.

On the bright side though it means I now have a lot more time to paint. ;)

So I have steadily getting back to my man dollies, and have some new pics.

As usual nothing is finished at this stage, but i am currently working on 4 different armies and keep flitting from one to the other.

First up we have some Ultramarines Rhinos, and yes there is a reason there are six of them with Tactical markings........ I must be mental!

Ultramarines Rhinos - Second Company

Next up is the third full Tactical Squad which is almost finished, so half way there.....

Ultramarines Tactical Squad - 2nd Company

Then the beginnings of a Scout bike squad.

Ultramarines Scout Bikes

And some progress on the rough riders.

Macragge PDF Rough Riders

And then just because I am more than a little bit excited about 6th edition, and stoked about the new allies rules here is my army in full, which I can use in standard games.

It's almost as if GW were reading my blog. ;)

Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline those

• Yes... Come forth to bear the word of Chaos..!
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
AMAZING..!

Got to be one of the most consistant, beautifully painted armies ever..! Great job... What else have you been working on then? What are your other armies..?

ps: I know we keep on saying it, but we must meet up soon..!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #82 on: July 2, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
An awesome looking force! You need to bring it to the 40KOnlinr tournament so we can all have a look at it!

And shoot it to pieces! :P
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #83 on: July 2, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
 I hate ultramarines, but I love guard.....so I love half the army! :P It does not matter if you love the armies or hate them, the craftsmanship put into these models is amazing. Even GW is posting pics of these! Great job! Now I want to see you do some other armies!  ;D

I love the Rough Riders from the IG side. I was looking into trying a conversion using scout bikes but the cost alone for each bike makes it hard to buy them for kitbashing when you do not know how good they would look. Now that I know they look good I might invest in this route.
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #84 on: July 2, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
Cheers everybbody, nice surprise today which I am more than a bit chuffed about:

What's New Today | Games Workshop

@Those: Cheers mate, I am currently working on Black Templars, Blood Angels, Cadians, Macragge PDF, Ultramarines and have Dark Eldar, Tau, DKK and Battle Sisters to get cracking with. Plus a Warhound Titan, a ton of FW stuff and loads of scenery.

And yes we really must meet up for that beer, will FB you. :)

@Hymirl: Yes people do love shooting them to pieces! :) I must admit though that this army has played pretty well, although I had my first game of 6th last night and Straken has had a bit of a kick in the privates....

@RandomGuardsman: The scout bikes aren't too badly priced but you will need a fair few spares from the IG sprues to get the arms to fit, but to be honest I had loads of bits left over as I'm sure most guard players will know. Must give credits to a chap called Digits for the bike conversions though, as well as Bungaroo for the Chimera conversions.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #85 on: July 2, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
Congrats on the surprise fame! They didn't ask you about using your pictures though? Seems a bit cheeky...

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline RandomGuardsman

« Reply #86 on: July 2, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
 Rofl.....all the fuss GW gives about copyright and they go and use other people's armies as references without asking!!?!??!?!  :P

You never know, maybe GW would give you all the models you need for your army endeavours so they can post them as more examples. There could be money to be made from this, or even free models! I think GW models are a form of currency in some countries....maybe Australia?

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #87 on: July 3, 2012, 05:57:06 AM »
Hi guys,

They had permission to use the photos, but I wasn't expecting them to write them into an article about allies so that was cool.

I just thought they were going to put in them in their Facebook photos.

And yes being paid in models would be lovely, and to be honest I might as well be as that's where most of my wages go anyway. :)

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:43 AM »
Hi guys,

Well, a teeny tiny update today, just to prove that I am still painting. :)

This is the very, very early stages of the first Veteran Squad (powerfist sarge and 3 meltas).

These guys have literally had their fatigues base coated in, but this is the most time consuming process, the rest is pretty quick after that.

So far just Bleached Bone with one shading of Kommando Khaki. They will get further attention once all the armour is lined in and base coated.

The photos show that my figures don't start out all that neat and tidy. :)

I have also completed this stage on another full squad of Vets (Harker and 3 grenade launchers), but didn't get photos of those guys.

The plan is to get all the armour done on this squad tonight, get it lined in and then start highlighting that and start on the flesh etc.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:38 PM »
Hi guys,

Well, another tiny update from me as I didn't get any painting done over the weekend.

I did manage to get all the armour lined in and base coated, and have started painting the flesh on those figures without gloves and helmets.

However I have struggled a bit with this and am not overly happy with the results so far.

This is primarily because I have used the same paint recipe for several years, and had got to know what I was doing with it. Unfortunately though GW have now withdrawn the colours I was using, and I didn't get a chance to replace those colours.

I have found some very close matches in the Coat D'Arms range, but for some reason I just can't seem to match earlier efforts, and the 2 figures I have worked on so far have now been repainted twice, and I think another repaint would start to obscure their detail.

So these are some very WIP pics, so far the only thing I am happy with is the cigarette, which turned out how I imagined it. Remember though kids, smoking is bad for you! :)

I am planning to tone down some of the skin tones by shading down some areas, but may have to leave them for now until I find a recipe that works.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:33:15 PM by StraightSilver »

Offline RandomGuardsman

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
 They still look good. I wanted to try doing a cigar with the left arm holding a cane from the cadian command kit. I could never get myself up to the task of attempting this though. Even though it is just a matter of filing down he cane thing...

*Looks at guy with the PF* *Looks at Silver's profile picture.*

I noticed a few similarities, are you trying to create a likeness? It makes me wonder if you are embellishing a little in the crotch armor area. I know I would.  ;)

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2012, 04:56:47 AM »
He he, I hadn't even noticed that but now you mention it maybe that was a Freudian slip on my part.

But yes, the crotch area is a little embellished, I would be embarrassed if I was a Space marine scout! :)

Ok so I went back and did a bit more work on the PF Sergeant. I toned the flesh down a bit with a glaze of dwarf flesh and it looks a bit more natural in real life now, although my photos and lighting aren't great so you may not see a huge difference.

I have also tried a darker recipe on the next vet and am a bit happier with him, so here's the 3 of them together so far, obviously still a way to go just yet though.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2012, 04:24:04 AM »
Another tiny update.

I still have to paint the bandages on the first guy's head, and the guy with the respirator has been tricky mainly because that particular FW head has some issues with the sculpt, but that's all the guys without helmets faces done.

I can now go and start painting the armour and fatigues, so should be finished with this squad next week hopefully. :)

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Well, not much of an update for me unfortunately, but I thought I would post in an effort to kick myself up the backside and get some work done! :)

The reason for the lack of progress is mainly due to the British weather. As daft as it sounds the heat has made painting very difficult as the paint is drying on the palette faster than I can get it on the model.

However I have got the shading done on the helmets, they are grey right now but will be white eventually. You also can't see it from the crappy photos but the belts and webbing have been base coated too.

I have also made a start on the very last squad for the army, a second squad of Hardened Vets with 3 grenade launchers and Harker.

And the other reason I didn't get as much done on these guys:

I know I probably shouldn't post that in this thread, but my poor old Dark Eldar are sat on the shelf in theor boxes staring at me every time I pick up a paint brush and I decided I would just start one model to give me a break.

I have to say already I can see I will be out of my comfort zone painting them, as the models are amazing and super detailed but that also makes them hard to paint, and I'm not 100% happy with the results so far.

I think I need to concentrated on the Ultras for a bit before doing any more DE.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:19:11 AM by StraightSilver »

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
I just wanted to say that this plog isn't dead, I have just been out of the hobby for a few months but should have some updates soon. Although they will be quite small.... :)

But i have got my paints out again. :)

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
Good to hear, I always enjoy your conversions and the painting is oh so pretty too. :)

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
Hey everybody, well it’s been a while…..

I have to admit I have been neglecting my hobby for a very long time. Life in general got in the way, plus a house move which has pretty much disrupted everything!

In the last month or so however I have picked up the brushes again but after over a year (maybe even 2?) I have struggled a bit to get back on form.

This has partly because I am still getting used to using Vallejo Game Colour. That might sound strange but I have used Citadel paints for over 20 years and hate change.

I have had to start using Vallejo as I am still working on 2 armies that have the same colour scheme and there is no longer a paint in the new Citadel Range that matches their old Ultramarines Blue, but the Vallejo equivalent matches perfectly.

So here is my first mini of 2014, still WIP but almost finished.

I have an absolute ton of marines lying around and needed to upgrade my Tactical Squads so this was a practice piece. If I’m really honest I’m not 100% happy with it but it has taught me a lot.

VGC needs a lot more thinning than Citadel paint, and if you get the mix wrong it’s too fluid for edge highlighting. After using Citadel for so long I found it instinctive to know exactly how much to thin my paints and now I am learning all over again…

The colour is a perfect match but the highlights are pretty sloppy, again this may be the new paint or maybe because I am very out of practice. I must admit my new painting area isn’t ideal in the new house either as the light is pretty poor, but the new house has 3 cats so I am limited as to where I can paint…

I also painted up a couple of heavy weapons marines and these seem to have come out better, think I am getting the hang of it now, but obviously they will get arms and weapons added at some point…. 

I have had to replace a lot of paints, and this has meant trying out new flesh recipes which again has been a learning experience. Once again this is due to GW replacing their paint range and if I’m honest I do not like the new paints, although again that might be because I haven’t used them enough yet.

So far I have struggled to find a flesh recipe I am happy with and I think this is because I have been using a black undercoat.

It’s difficult to tell from the awful photos (really need to get a new camera and sort out my set up) but I haven’t been getting results like I used to using the new paints. The face on the sergeant is quite sloppy, and this is because he has had way too many layers put on.

So I have gone right back to basics and started doing something I haven’t done for a long time, which is use a white undercoat. This has meant painting the heads separately but it has been soooo much easier and I don’t know why I didn’t do it like this sooner…

So these two are no way near finished. These have had a white undercoat, a very thinned coat of Cadian Flesh Tone, an Ogryn Flesh Wash (very diluted), followed by a layer of Dwarf Flesh.

They both should really just need a couple more highlights and be done.

The thing is to get to this stage before would have taken ages, a lot of paint and obscured a lot of detail.

These have taken no more than a couple of hours and I can still see all the detail so I am very happy with them (they look better IRL, the photos really are bad..).

I am also finding the new marine plastics have some great bare heads and I have a lot to practice on.

I have also been adding a bit of air support to the army.

This is a Storm Talon I am working on. Still very WIP but tbh not much more to do on it. Need to do some final edge highlighting and a bit of weathering but it’ll do for table top for the time being.

This was actually a really fun model to build and paint. It looks ridiculous in terms of design but was really easy to assemble and paint and it’s kind of growing on me…

And then a much nicer model but still early days yet. A Vulture for the PDF. Love this model, this one is actually one I have had sitting in a box in my “magic cupboard” for a looong time so is the all resin one. It was a right bugger to put together and needed a lot of work but is a lovely kit so am excited about getting this finished.

And finally some models I posted a long time ago, my Psyker Battle Squad, again still very WIP but you can see the conversions better now they have a bit of paint on some of them.

I didn’t want to use the metal / finecast GW ones simply because there are so few poses so build these and am pretty happy with them so far. These are the plastic tank sprue torsos on max Mini great coat legs which I think works nicely.

I am now not sure about the Grey Knight staffs, they are too big but it’s hard to say for definite as they are held on with blu tak for the photos, and they were a bugger to get hold of so reckon they’ll stay.

Anyway, thanks for looking, hopefully I will have more finished stuff to show next time, and will have better photos. And hopefully I will post more regularly too.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
Another small update, to be honest I have been spending way too much time in the pub which has meant I haven't got that much painting done....

I'm also aware there might be too much marine stuff going on in this blog at the moment so promise to rectify that with more Guard soon. :)

So a little bit more work on the Librarian.

Once again apologies for the [I Swear Too Much] photos, really need to sort out somewhere decent in the new house to take them.

The arms and head are just dry fitted for now which is why they are a bit wonky, and I have glazed down the yellow at the back but reckon it still needs a bit more work.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
So I have been doing a bit more painting, mainly for practice but also to give my army a bit of oomph. :)

I have a had a break from the Librarian but he will get finished hopefully over the weekend.

For now I have been painting up 2 new captains, one for painting practice and the other for the army.

Typically the one I was using for practice has come out better than the one for the army, but hey ho. :)

So here is a First Company Captain with Artificer Armour, Power Fist and Shield Eternal (fancy Storm Shield).

He is still very WIP and looking at the photos the armour needs a bit of attention as the highlights aren't working right now.

You can't really see it very well in the photos but the about the only thing that has turned out how I wanted it is the white cloak at the back. :)

But he's coming along, he will also have a back banner which should break up all that white and draw the eye back away from the Storm Shield, but I think I need to go back and neaten up his helmet and some of the power armour.

Then there is this chap, another of the single sprue plastics which I have to say I am becoming more and more impressed with, so much stuff to paint on them and they seem to just "work". Still don't think the price is necessarily justified but this guy and the Librarian have been fun to paint.

Obviously still very WIP like the first guy but think this guy is coming on better, which is a shame as I would probably never use this load out in a game.

This figure was primarily for me to practice on, I am feeling a bit rusty and having to relearn a lot with the new paints but also because it's been a while.

The biggest thing was for me to find a new flesh recipe and i think i may have cracked it.

This was very simple and I am happy with the results but will wait and see what it's like on the model, might need one more highlight but will leave it alone for now.

Hopefully have these guys and the Librarian finished over the weekend although it's valentines day tomorrow so might get killed if I do any more painting!! :)

Then next week I will start on my Devastator Centurions. :)

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2014, 12:26:19 AM »
Pretty damn good so far. I must ask, how do you paint such crisp highlight lines?