News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Facing necrons in a three-way  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Facing necrons in a three-way
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:51:11 AM »
So me (playing Squats, see the codex in Lost and Damned-board) along with my sister (Dark Angels, Eat Hot Plasma Death-configuration) are facing off against Necrons in a 1k threeway this afternoon.

I have no idea what I will be facing, but I am guessing at these points it will be groundbased, with few/no vehicles and an abundance of necron warriors.

My sister is taking an Assault Squad with jumppacks leadby the Chaplain from the Rock (or hell, take your pick) and will destroy whatever she gets close to, 2x5 Tacticals with a plasma cannon each, 2 Dreads with Plasma cannon, one Venerable and the other with a Techmarine with Powerfield, and 5 Devastators with 4 more Plasma cannons.
I think she can take on whatever the necrons throw at her.

I am bringing a Kinghand in Exoarmour (think company master in terminator armour, just a lot shorter, but with S6), Brotherhood combat squad (with two heavy bolters, could not afford better), Brotherhood supportsquad (6 lascannons, two conversions beamers and a multimelta), 2 Predator Annihilators, 3 Trikes with multimelta, and two pieces of artillery (a thuddgun and a Rapier laser destroyer).

I figure I'd hunker down in my deployment zone and shoot at anything that moves for three turns before poking my head out at all, and hoping I can weather the storm.

Not faced Necrons in 6th ed and I was wondering if you guys could give me a quick heads-up what I need to watch, where I should be worried and what I need to assign extreme prejudice, and what is likely not so bad for me to face?

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
Re: Facing necrons in a three-way
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Of course anything I say here is all speculation, and mostly depends on your meta-game and the type of player your opponent is (e.g. WAAC's).

But assuming he's a half-decent player, the things to look out for would be:

1) some sort of Min-max setup of nightscythes each with X5 Necron warriors and a harbinger of the storm. He might have one or two of these and would act as semi-suicide units and go around poping your vehicles.

2)wraiths, lead by a destroyer lord. This will probably be the most annoying unit in his army for you or your sister. But as you say, you will probably sit back for two-three turns and with your sisters, 'Eat Hot Plasma Death-configuration', he'd probably go after the dark angles, because all the plasma's low AP weapons won't mean a thing against our inv saves.

3) Doomscythes, these have the same armament as the nigthscythe with the addition of the, 'death ray' (yes i promise its called that). this thing will most likely ruin your day, As it's a very high strength very low AP weapon. so don't keep all you vehicles and infantry units too close together.

3A) In fact if you see any sort of flyer's in his army, and he may have a lot (we can take 9+). Make sure you ask which variant it is, because they both look very similar to each other and could be quite confusing at first.

4)Ghost arks, if he has one of these full of warriors (up to 10). he'll use these as gunboats pumping out 30 Gauss shots in rapid fire range, then late game they'll go after the objective. Once he gets them there, you'll have a very hard time getting them off, so these are your priority targets.

5) Mindshakle scarabs and warscythes. I won't go into detail (got to leave you some suprises), but sufficed to say, - stay AWAY from these things.  on a more practical note, take an extra pair of trousers with your because if your IC does face off against these, you might find yourself with funny brown stains on yours all of a sudden. :D

6) Annihilation Barges. He'll probably have at least one or two of these because there just made of pure awesomeness. they do alot of damage for there low points cost. he'll' most likely use these as (primarily) anti-flyer, and (secondary) anti infantry.

7) just about everything else in the codex.  ;)

If you both team up against the Necrons, you'll probably have an easy time of things. But if I were you I'd go after the Dark angels for the 'Moral Victory'.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Actually the DA can be largely ignored in this configuration. Necrons can get plenty of AV13 skimmers which just aren't scared of plasma death at all, whilst their fliers will be immune to plasma cannons and thanks to skyfire similarly resistant to plasma guns.

You'll be the target since your mass of lascannons and other heavy weapons actually threaten his skimmer.

Now things to eliminate are the obvious threats to your army. Annihilation Barges and Ghost Arks are a danger to your gun line but don't forget you may have to contend with Wraiths who could weather a large amount of your firepower and add to target saturation.

That Squat list sounds hideous in my view. So many weapons in such a small army screams out as the winner of this game!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
Of course anything I say here is all speculation, and mostly depends on your meta-game and the type of player your opponent is (e.g. WAAC's).

But assuming he's a half-decent player, the things to look out for would be:

1) some sort of Min-max setup of nightscythes each with X5 Necron warriors and a harbinger of the storm. He might have one or two of these and would act as semi-suicide units and go around poping your vehicles.
None were in evidence. Phew.

2)wraiths, lead by a destroyer lord. This will probably be the most annoying unit in his army for you or your sister. But as you say, you will probably sit back for two-three turns and with your sisters, 'Eat Hot Plasma Death-configuration', he'd probably go after the dark angles, because all the plasma's low AP weapons won't mean a thing against our inv saves.
Another thing he didn't bring.

3) Doomscythes, these have the same armament as the nigthscythe with the addition of the, 'death ray' (yes i promise its called that). this thing will most likely ruin your day, As it's a very high strength very low AP weapon. so don't keep all you vehicles and infantry units too close together.
Again, not in evidence.

3A) In fact if you see any sort of flyer's in his army, and he may have a lot (we can take 9+). Make sure you ask which variant it is, because they both look very similar to each other and could be quite confusing at first.
If he brings any flyers I am tooling up on Skyfire Interceptor Tarantula emplacements.

4)Ghost arks, if he has one of these full of warriors (up to 10). he'll use these as gunboats pumping out 30 Gauss shots in rapid fire range, then late game they'll go after the objective. Once he gets them there, you'll have a very hard time getting them off, so these are your priority targets.
He had one of these and used it as a flying wall walking 10 Immortals + Cryptec + Lord behind it towards the Dark Angels. Got popped by grenades and a few well-placed powergloves by the assault squad.

5) Mindshakle scarabs and warscythes. I won't go into detail (got to leave you some suprises), but sufficed to say, - stay AWAY from these things.  on a more practical note, take an extra pair of trousers with your because if your IC does face off against these, you might find yourself with funny brown stains on yours all of a sudden. :D
he had one of these and while the scarabs failed utterly the Warscythe did wreck the Interrogator Chaplain in the end.

6) Annihilation Barges. He'll probably have at least one or two of these because there just made of pure awesomeness. they do alot of damage for there low points cost. he'll' most likely use these as (primarily) anti-flyer, and (secondary) anti infantry.
He had one, it lacked cover, and conviction, and ate a mining-laser (and a few more shots) and just collapsed before firing a single shot.

7) just about everything else in the codex.  ;)
10 Warriors on foot, 10 on the ark, one barge, one walker-thing, one lord with 10 immortals and a cryptec. It was a tangle of lost undead robot-things. :)

If you both team up against the Necrons, you'll probably have an easy time of things. But if I were you I'd go after the Dark angels for the 'Moral Victory'.
They stayed at their end of the field, out of the range of most of my guns. The things that strayed in range bit the dust hard.

Actually the DA can be largely ignored in this configuration. Necrons can get plenty of AV13 skimmers which just aren't scared of plasma death at all, whilst their fliers will be immune to plasma cannons and thanks to skyfire similarly resistant to plasma guns.
He concentrated almost completely on the Dark Angels. They were the harder target and he had poor range. I would have gotten to shoot at him a LOT before he got into effective firing range, and I think he saw that.

You'll be the target since your mass of lascannons and other heavy weapons actually threaten his skimmer.
And it did. Potshots and a few barrages later and it was mostly smoking rubble.

That Squat list sounds hideous in my view. So many weapons in such a small army screams out as the winner of this game!

Three-ways are always tricky that way, but I did ok, sqeaking by with the victory after having chased down some lone Dark Angels that strayed too close ("Huff! Huff! Exo-armour legs are not meant for running!") My Kinghand actually wrecked a Tactical squad in close combat and my Combat Squad just ran its butt off to get into Vanguard position.
I did get "Move through Cover (Ruins)" and "Stealth (Ruins)" for a Warlord trait, and it saved me completely.

Next time I will get wrecked. And there is very little I can do to stop it.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.