News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons vs. IG (1650 pts) - Some random thoughts  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
Necrons vs. IG (1650 pts) - Some random thoughts
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
On Saturday, I battled mech IG with my Necrons.

Necrons:
Overlord w/ warscythe, CBB
DLord w/ weave

5 Praetorians

2x 10 Immortals w/ NS
10 Warriors w/ NS

3 Canoptek Spyders
2x Annihilation Barge

IG:
Primaris Psyker

10 Veterans on foot

30 Vets w/ Chimera

2x Hellhound
3 Hellhounds w/ mulitlaser

2x Leman Russ
1 Hydra

Mission: killpoints.
Deployment: the diagonal one

IG was setting up first with a large power blob in the centre. Necrons deployed in the centre behind a larger ruin giving partial cover but as close as possible to the enemy.

IG had first turn. No night fight. My DLord attached to the Praetorians got their attention as it was the closest model of the unit. After failing two saves and another LoS (from a lascannon), he died. Moreover, one Praetorian died from a LR battle shell. Not other casualties.

Necrons moved forward. The Overloard zoomed down 30'' close to the centrally deployed Leman Russ. The Overlord had to spend one wound to save an immobilized result. Barges downed one Chimera.

IG moved one Hellhound and one Chimera closer to my front ranks, able to target my Spyder. One wound only. IG was unable to down the CCB as it had a 4+ cover save after going flat out. Deep striking Vets got delayed.

Now the Spyders destroyed the Hellhound and the Chimeras close to it was downed by tesla. The passengers got decimated by the arriving Immortals (deployed from a NS). Praetorians destroyed one Chimera parked in front of the power blob. The Overlord vector striked leaving a wrack (LR) back. IG already started to crumble.

Next, the power blob destroyed the Praetorians left blank in front of them. Vets came from reserve dowing the CCB with a melta shot. IG managed to kill the whole Immortals squad so that no one could come back.

Necrons still moved forward. The Overlord charged the Vets challenged the leader killing him. Later the Vets fell back and got destroyed. Warriors popped the Hydra after being deployed from the NS. Later on, the Warriors got charged by outflanking Sentinals. Funny to see that they killed the Sentinals in cc, 3+ to hit, 6+ to strip off one hull point. The Warriors were left untouched.

As said, IG crumbled and at the end had just a few soldiers from the power blob and one LR intact, while Necrons only lost CCB, one Immortal squad, DLord, and Praetorians.

Summing up, Necrons also work without Wraiths. Two Overlords in CCBs seem to work. Zoom them down in round one, and with a 4+ cover save they might survive enemy shooting. Next turn, they could cause havoc. This would give the rest of the army time to get into position.

Offline Idaho

Re: Necrons vs. IG (1650 pts) - Some random thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »
Necrons work without Wraiths? I refuse to believe it!

Seriously though we're pretty lucky that we can build reasonable lists with just about anything in the Codex. Still not sure on the Praetorians but I want them to work!

Nice job on the win. I want to use more Spyders myself so it's good to see people getting mileage out of them.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
The question is, can Necrons work without Wraiths and fliers.

Seems like the Guard player made a few mistakes, especially getting the Hellhound (a fast vehicle) so close to the Spyders (a slow Monstrous Creature which I'm assuming doesn't have any guns upgraded.)

As Idaho said, good to see someone trying out what seem to be the odd man out units.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:40:06 AM »
Well, the IG player brought the Hellhound (supported by Vets in a Chimera) close to the Spyders so that he could use both of its flamers. But Spyders are too resilient to go down against such weapons.

Spyders are very slow. I thought I could use them as a unit for the next RTT in March. But I dumped this thought. Three Annihilation Barges are the way to go, and I will also include Wraiths. Praetorians die too easily when targeted.